Forum Index > Trip Reports > Glacier Lake via Mineral Creek: 07/21/18 - 07/22/18
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostWed Jul 25, 2018 1:57 pm 
Headed out to Glacier Lake this past weekend via the Mineral Creek trail. Left the trailhead around 10:30am with only three other cars in the lot. The first crossing of Mineral Creek was easy. My friends waded through it - maybe ankle deep - but I managed to rock hop and keep my boots dry. Same story for the second crossing a mile or so up the trail. Some blueberries were popping along the trail - they'll be great in a few weeks.
There was some brush to contend with shortly before and after the second creek crossing. Around 3400', it became quite awful. Around 3700' it turned into hell. I knew it would be brushy, but never expected it to be that thick. We definitely got our exfoliation treatment in. The bugs and unstable footing made it more of a grunt. But we eventually made it through and continued on to Upper Park Lake, which was quite beautiful.
From there, we followed the trail up to the junction with the PCT. We followed the PCT until we encountered the bootpath at 5200'. This led us to some amazing views.
The descent into the Glacier Lake basin was a little trickier than I expected. The bootpath seemed to disappear just before the steep gully, so we picked our way down carefully, occasionally utilizing some veggie belays. From there it was an easy stroll down to the lake, which was stunning.
P1120574-Pano
P1120574-Pano
We set up camp in a lovely spot on the north shore with great views of Three Queens. After poking around the lake shore, we sought refuge in our tents from the persistent bugs.
The next morning, my partners opted for a lazy morning at camp while I headed up toward Chikamin Peak. Very beautiful area. After swarms of flies and mosquitoes greeted me at the 5400' tarn, I decided it wouldn't be very nice to leave my partners waiting at camp with the flying vampires, so I called it a day here. Ran into a ranger on the way back to camp - she was headed up to Chikamin. She was apparently going to head out on the Mineral Creek trail.
P1120686-Pano
P1120686-Pano
P1120764-Pano
P1120764-Pano
Left camp just before noon. The trip back was quite hot, but we found respite back at Upper Park Lake before heading back down into the hell brush. Back at the car around 4:30pm.
Great trip! We all agreed we'd go back to check out Chikamin Lake and peak someday, but perhaps in the fall when the brush has been tamed. cool.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostWed Jul 25, 2018 4:28 pm 
When you go back, the first Lemah and the southern peak of Four Brothers are also fun scrambles, if you have time. In late August the blueberries on the slopes of Lemah will do their best to slow you down.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Jul 25, 2018 6:33 pm 
up.gif Looks like a decent amount of water in the falls flowing into Glacier Lk. I've seen it when it was almost nothing.

Bluejl2

Bluejl2
PostWed Jul 25, 2018 11:25 pm 
Looks awesome. A buddy and I were thinking about heading to Upper Park or Glacier lake this weekend (I'm trying to convince him this would make for more fun and better views for a single night than Pear Lake from Fortune Ponds). I've never been in the area and most trip reports I've found are coming in from Pete Lake trailhead. I'm unfamiliar with the approach from Mineral Creek, it looks more brushy but how does the distance compare to coming in from Pete? Thanks!

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostThu Jul 26, 2018 7:54 am 
How is the drive to mineral creek th?

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostThu Jul 26, 2018 12:16 pm 
Nice images! Thanks for sharing

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostThu Jul 26, 2018 1:39 pm 
Bluejl2 wrote:
I've never been in the area and most trip reports I've found are coming in from Pete Lake trailhead. I'm unfamiliar with the approach from Mineral Creek, it looks more brushy but how does the distance compare to coming in from Pete?
It's about 6-7 miles to Glacier Lake via Mineral Creek vs. 11 miles (approx) via Pete Lake. If I recall correctly, there might be a bootpath from Spectacle Lake up to Glacier that could potentially shave off some mileage. Someone else might know more about that.
kitya wrote:
How is the drive to mineral creek th?
Easy peasy - any car should be able to make it.

mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostFri Jul 27, 2018 1:53 pm 
up.gif Looks great and that water appears very refreshing!

CarriesNineFires

CarriesNineFires
PostSat Aug 25, 2018 7:59 pm 
fourteen410 wrote:
If I recall correctly, there might be a bootpath from Spectacle Lake up to Glacier that could potentially shave off some mileage. Someone else might know more about that.
From the peninsula at Spectacle, follow a path around the south shore. Faint trail and boulder field cairns, then find more faint trail near the shore. Pop out onto a beach and that takes you to the Glacier Lake outlet stream. Easy rock hop right now, or bushwack in high water time (left side is flat) until you reach two big waterfalls. Scramble the rocks to the left or bypass to the right up steep forest. It's a brief stretch there. You emerge into the delightful, flat outlet stream valley of Glacier Lake and stroll on up to the lake. It's a nice route and a beautiful lake. I was just there yesterday.
Spectacle Lake
Spectacle Lake
Spectacle Lake
Spectacle Lake
Spectacle Lake
Spectacle Lake
Spectacle Lake
Spectacle Lake
Spectacle Lake
Spectacle Lake
Spectacle Lake
Spectacle Lake