Forum Index > Food & Grub > anyone eat the fruit from strawberry trees?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Nov 04, 2018 2:32 pm 
I've been seeing these for years around my neighborhood, never knew what they were. A couple minutes of googling gave me an answer. They are edible apparently. Might have to try one next time I'm out walking. Doesn't seem like anyone harvests them, just see a bunch of them fallen to the ground. They are really soft and squish easily. https://www.specialtyproduce.com/produce/Strawberry_Tree_10303.php

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Nov 04, 2018 5:28 pm 
I tried it. Very mild flavor, not much to it. A little sweet. Not an instant favorite, but I've been curious about those for years. Now I know.

neek

neek
PostSun Nov 04, 2018 5:39 pm 
My wife and I were just wondering this on a walk a few days ago. Thanks for the report, I'll have to try some. "...overripe fruit ferments on the branch and can cause mild intoxication" - maybe a supplemental report is in order? Apparently there are other Strawberry Trees - Arbutus menziesii (madrona) and Muntingia calabura in addition to your Arbutus unedo. All reportedly edible. None sound as tasty as the Ugni molinae (Chilean Guava) I'm growing here though.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Nov 04, 2018 6:58 pm 
Either they weren't fermented, or I needed a bigger dosage. No intoxication to report here.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Nov 05, 2018 12:00 am 
We have one in our front yard. I noticed there was some fruit on it for the first time today, way before I read this thread. Small world. I'll try the fruit tomorrow.

Brockton

Brockton
PostSun Nov 11, 2018 9:40 pm 
neek wrote:
None sound as tasty as the Ugni molinae (Chilean Guava) I'm growing here though.
I had a Chilean guava growing in my yard for a couple of years, until it died in the cold one winter. I found the fruit a little mealy but it had a neat bubblegum-like flavor. Although one of its common names is "strawberry myrtle", the Chilean guava is from a different family (Myrtaceae - myrtle family) than the "strawberry tree" discussed above, which in the Ericaceae (the heath family, which includes blueberries, huckleberry, rhododendron, salal and madrone, among other local plants).

IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostSun Nov 11, 2018 11:38 pm 
Another tasty fall treat that many people don't know about. http://www.eattheplanet.org/kousa-dogwood-fruit/

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning