Forum Index > Support & Feedback > Questions about the new YouTube codes for embedding video.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Feb 23, 2019 10:59 pm 
Tom wrote:
Figured this would be the best place to post this... I added some code to automatically embed youtube videos (no need to paste the embed code any more unless you want to tweak the aspect ratio). Just paste the video link and it will automatically embed.
So before I could post the video (using the embed code via Share) and get a normal sized video display. Now with the new system they all come out BIG. How can I get my videos to stay the normal size? Would this be an aspect ratio issue? I prefer the slightly smaller size for a preview display and then if the video is particularly interesting I would go Full Screen for viewing. Now it seems to be a one size fits all. We are at the edge of my html knowledge. I am sure that a smart person could specify the size they wanted. Maybe this is information that's available for person who knows where to look. I realize that this new feature is to help people post videos that couldn't figure out the embed technique. But can I still post the videos the old size? In fact some videos that I come across have an entirely different aspect ratio. They look a bit blocky. I kind of enjoy the variety. Some things should have that vintage feel. Thanks, ~z

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Feb 23, 2019 11:45 pm 
The new code automatically embeds videos at a consistent size. Sounds like it was too big so I reduced it to 360 tall. If you embed something larger or smaller it will shrink or expand. The aspect ratio (width / height) is maintained so if you embedded aa 800x400 it would display as 720x360.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun Feb 24, 2019 12:54 pm 
Thank you for bringing it down some. That helps. The previous new size was like a billboard. This is more like a big ole flat screen tv. I appreciate it. ~z

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Feb 26, 2019 2:55 pm 
I also put in some code to align video with non-video. The video thumbnail preview will display smaller but when you play the video it will expand. Also, it prevents more than 1 video playing at a time so you don't have to stop the previous video (to mute competing sound) before clicking on the next video. For example:

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Feb 27, 2019 4:37 pm 
Tom, Today the video's are back up to GIANT size again. Like billboards. frown.gif Earlier you had reduced them somewhat. Is there any way we can have the option to size them the smaller, more familiar size? The new ones are so in-your-face. Kind of takes away from the presentation. The user can always go Full Screen for complete immersion. if I knew the pixel dimensions I would tell you. But there is a standard size when researching videos and how they present themselves. Thanks, ~z

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Feb 27, 2019 8:22 pm 
I must have broken something lol. Having the option to embed your own videos with a specific size preference wouldn't solve your issue since you'd still be at the mercy of what size others choose to post. hockeygrin.gif Makes more sense to optimize based on the user's screen width and other factors ala how we display image thumbnails. The criteria for video thumbnails is to display 360 tall and shrink or grow (within reasonable bounds) to match the height of adjacent thumbnails and right justify if possible. I did some tweaking to limit how much video thumbnails can grow in favor of shrinking more. Hopefully that fixes things. If not, no worries, it's a work in progress and will eventually get optimized.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Feb 27, 2019 10:25 pm 
Tom wrote:
Hopefully that fixes things. If not, no worries, it's a work in progress and will eventually get optimized.
Thanks for working on this. May the Force be with you. ~z

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostThu Feb 28, 2019 8:16 pm 
This is a nice addition to the site. But what I really need to thank you for is that Merle Hazard video you posted. The really sad part is that I actually liked her atonal banjo solo.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Mar 01, 2019 4:04 pm 
Thanks for the feedback. The Merle Hazard video was posted by RayD a few weeks ago in the youtube thread: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1148962#1148962