https://www.ebay.com/itm/265876583512

Flickr | Strava

Chief Joseph
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Sep 13, 2022 8:04 pm 
Maybe a refurbished item?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Sep 13, 2022 8:14 pm 
If a chromebook has been working for you, a newer chromebook that won't have aging hardware is pretty affordable $128 Samsung Chromebook 4 (2021 Model) 11.6" Intel UHD Graphics 600, Intel Celeron Processor N4020, 4GB, 32GB, Wi-Fi - (XE310XBA-KA1US) https://a.co/d/bshqIIc Being able to rip CDs is tricky many laptops no longer have CD/DVD/Blu-ray drives. Higher end laptops have them more frequently, but now you are looking at machines that cost more than $500. But one can buy an external CD drive for around $30 https://chromeready.com/8283/copy-music-from-cd-to-a-sd-card-using-chromebook

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Sep 13, 2022 8:26 pm 
Sounds like a good way to go, thanks for the info. I have been putting off getting an external drive for a while, time to do it. I have been very happy with my old chromebook so an upgrade should be the ticket.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Sep 14, 2022 2:06 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Old thread I know but I am thinking of buying a laptop, am not tech savvy and not sure what my best options are. I have been using a Samsung Chromebook tablet that is about 8 years old and starting to act up.
You're posting this in a thread about Windows, which is confusing to people with the tech skill to help you. Windows and Chrome PS are two different ways of using a computer, it's an either or but not both thing. To make sure you get good advice, are you happy with your Chromebook other than it showing its age? Is there a reason you need or want Windows?

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Sep 14, 2022 3:44 pm 
No, not looking for Windows info, just bumped this thread because it was the first one that my search came across, didn't see the need to start a new thread. I am going to go with another Chromebook since I have been very happy with this one. The only thing I want to be able to do as I said is to upload CD's, but I have an older laptop that I can still do that on, so no big deal.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Sep 15, 2022 10:25 am 
Then get a Chromebook and an external optical drive. That's the best value if you don't need Windows.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Sep 15, 2022 12:42 pm 
It's on the way, ordered the one that Randito linked above, thanks guys.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Sep 15, 2022 1:33 pm 
👍

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Sep 24, 2022 6:56 pm 
Love my new Chromebook, no more screen flutter and fade. The one I had lasted nearly 10 years, now my son can use it.

Randito
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Oct 09, 2022 11:58 am 
Well, I really like my new chromebook except for one thing. Every time I shut it down, (not turning it off) it logs me out of the websites I frequent even though I have the "stay logged in" icon clicked. I did a quick Google search and the results said to make sure that cookies are turned on and they are...still logs me out each time...help?

neek

neek
PostSun Oct 09, 2022 1:21 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Well, I really like my new chromebook except for one thing. Every time I shut it down, (not turning it off) it logs me out of the websites I frequent even though I have the "stay logged in" icon clicked. I did a quick Google search and the results said to make sure that cookies are turned on and they are...still logs me out each time...help?
Maybe this setting got enabled in Chrome? More -> Settings -> Privacy and Security -> Cookies and other site data -> Clear cookies and site data when you quit Chrome

Randito
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Oct 09, 2022 4:31 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Cookies are useful for keeping you logged in, but they're also useful for tracking your every move, so a lot of people don't like them. There are different modes when you can allow them on a temporary basis only, and it sounds like you're using one of them somehow. There are lots of ways that could happen: guest login to the OS, incognito mode, the setting neek mentioned, probably others too.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Mar 25, 2023 3:01 pm 
Ok, so have had my Chromebook for a while now and like it pretty well, but....I have an issue I can't resolve. On a couple of websites that I frequent when someone posts a link and I click on it, the link won't load. I did a Google search and tried it in incognito mode, cleared browsing history and cookies and even turned off safe browsing mode and links still don't load. Help!

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Mar 25, 2023 4:09 pm 
Are they insecure sites? Maybe it has to do with Chrome not wanting to load http links from a https page?