Forum Index > Pacific NW History > History of the mosquito fleet
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dick B

Dick B
PostWed Aug 14, 2019 1:14 pm 
For you Puget Sounders. Here is a book that might be of interest to you. It's called "Echoes of Puget Sound" by Torger Birkeland. It was written some time ago and describes his early days in the logging camps and then as a crewman on some of the old mosquito passenger boats that plied the sound prior to the ferries. It's basically a history of that era. Birkeland ended his career as the skipper on the old Evergreen ferry that ran between Anacortes and Sidney, BC. The book has been out for years, but can still be obtained. If anyone knows of a good book about the evolution of the ferry system on the sound I would be interested in knowing about it. I grew up on South Whidbey from the late 30's to the mid 50's, so I saw a lot of changes in the Island run from Columbia Beach (Clinton) to Mukilteo during that time.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostWed Aug 14, 2019 4:32 pm 
thanks Dick....just ordered it from Seattle Public Library which has three copies! cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Aug 14, 2019 4:43 pm 
Thanks for the recommendation. I live next to the pilings of the Greenbank pier where one of the ferries landed from about 1904 to the 30's on it's route of Freeland-Greenbank-Mabana (Camano)-Everett. The South Whidbey Historical Museum has quite a few photos and some video of the early fleet https://southwhidbeyhistory.org/special-topics/ferries-the-mosquito-fleet/

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostFri Aug 23, 2019 6:08 am 
Dick...just finished this and wanted to thank you again for the recommendation. It is truly a snapshot of a past that was innocent and interesting. His writing shows his development through his life and has great sense of how things were back then. Again, thanks !!! cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")