Forum Index > Partners > The Enchantments
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hip110
HIP

Hip110
HIP
PostTue Aug 27, 2019 5:55 pm 
I wanted to see if anyone out there has done the Enchantments and would be willing to do it again and break it into a two day overnight hike. Feel free to contact me if you are interested. I would be willing to cover the cost for a permit and food.

Hip
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpackapalooza

Backpackapalooza
PostWed Aug 28, 2019 6:54 am 
FYI in case you didn't know but you would need permits to do it as an overnight.

Hip110
HIP

Hip110
HIP
PostWed Aug 28, 2019 7:11 am 
Thank you for the information. I looked at the stats on lottery and it looks like it can be hard to get if you don’t plan ahead. I would love to do this hike but I know I am not experienced enough by myself. I have done multiple strenuous hikes at 18-24 miles so I know I am up for the challenge.

Hip
dave allyn

dave allyn
PostWed Aug 28, 2019 8:01 am 
If you're comfortable with strenuous hikes of 24 miles you'll be fine getting through the enchantments in a day. Start early, take a headlamp. Lots of other people out there, you can stay near other groups. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Have fun.

Hip110
HIP

Hip110
HIP
PostWed Aug 28, 2019 8:57 am 
Thank you Dave!

Hip
nojack

nojack
PostFri Aug 30, 2019 10:33 am 
I Just did it twice in the past 4 weeks for the same reasons you list... That said, it took 22:45 and 24:24 to do it. Those are Longest known times. Notes: There *are* lots of folks doing it with you, that's true, and good. But, take extra headlamp batteries for sure. Maybe get an new bright headlamp. You'll enjoy a change of socks, for their weight. Backup water bladder or something. This is just to say that, yes, it's arduous, but there is also a level of 'commitment' for just a long hike. It's 7000' down. It's 6000+ feet down from the upper basin. Start around 4AM-ish. Be *sure* you are down to Snow Lakes before dark, and you should be OK. You don't want to be hunting for cairns above Nada lake, IN THE DARK. That kinda sucks. But, by all means, do it.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Aug 30, 2019 10:50 am 
nojack wrote:
But, take extra headlamp batteries for sure. Maybe get an new bright headlamp.
I hate to recommend Walmart, but they have headlamps in Sporting Goods for $1, they are very bright and light since they use 2 watch batteries...I recommend 1 or 2 as a backup light source. You also must get help to get them out of their locked case and they make you pay for them immediately. rolleyes.gif I have also heard that the Ranger Station in Leavenworth gives out permits daily on a first come first serve basis, not sure if that's true, haven't tried myself.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
nojack

nojack
PostFri Aug 30, 2019 11:08 am 
There's something specific here tho.. If taking a leisurely stroll, all the way through the enchantments, for the first time, or second or third, having a light that does over 180 lumens is a wonderful thing. A light-cannon can be very nice to look ahead for the cairns above nada, and the social trails around snow. It's not a whole lot of fun getting turned around in there with dim lights. :-) Totally worth it tho.