Forum Index > Partners > New in Olympia area
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Timbo

Timbo
PostMon Sep 09, 2019 10:48 pm 
Hey, my name is Tim, and I'm new to the PNW. Just moved to Olympia area in April. I love hiking, rock climbing, camping, and mountaineering - I just don't know anyone up here yet. I have a doggo, Strider, who is a beautiful and friendly blue heeler that joins me frequently on dog-friendly trails. I have a family, wife and kids, that I love to camp and hike with. But I'm hoping to find a new partner(s) in longer treks like a Rainier summit, some 20+ mile backpacking trips over the weekend, or rock climbing trips to BC/Oregon. Hope to see some of y'all out on the trails soon!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostTue Sep 10, 2019 6:28 pm 
Timbo wrote:
Hey, my name is Tim, and I'm new to the PNW. Just moved to Olympia area in April. I love hiking, rock climbing, camping, and mountaineering - I just don't know anyone up here yet. I have a doggo, Strider, who is a beautiful and friendly blue heeler that joins me frequently on dog-friendly trails. I have a family, wife and kids, that I love to camp and hike with. But I'm hoping to find a new partner(s) in longer treks like a Rainier summit, some 20+ mile backpacking trips over the weekend, or rock climbing trips to BC/Oregon. Hope to see some of y'all out on the trails soon!
Hey, welcome Tim! I may be able to connect with you, I'm out visiting the kids in the Olympia area occasionally. I'll watch for reports from you. C ya,

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Sep 10, 2019 7:06 pm 
Hello and welcome to the site. wink.gif Close in - short drives, low elevation, relatively flat terrain, easy peasy for kids: Capitol State Forest Millersylvania State Park Nisqually Wildlife Refuge Scatter Creek Wildlife Area Mima Mounds! (fascinating for kids) (NO idea what regulations are concerning dogs at any of those areas.) I just learned about this one but have not visited there yet. Dogs are allowed off-leash: https://wdfw.wa.gov/places-to-go/wildlife-areas/west-rocky-prairie-wildlife-area-unit You arrived just in time for the monsoon season. up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Sep 11, 2019 10:17 am 
Ski wrote:
Mima Mounds! (fascinating for kids)
And interesting for us "older kids" also. 👍

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Sep 11, 2019 2:32 pm 
... forgot to mention: Per my phone conversation with a WDFW staff member, there are Mima mounds at the West Rocky Prairie Wildlife Area as well - which is east of I-5.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Timbo

Timbo
PostSun Sep 22, 2019 10:50 pm 
Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I took off the morning after making this post and have been in the mountains ever since. I'm sorry I didn't get to respond to any of you sooner, but these mountains know which of my buttons to push. To Ski: We have hit up Capitol State Forest - we live 10 minutes from there - for virtually every trail they have. Good hiking and well maintained trails. Haven't tried the Mima Mounds yet, waiting to hear how the hornets nest, that is lighting everyone up, gets handled! Reading the trip reports has been a blast, haha. Nisqually is really nice! I have been going fishing up around that area a lot. I'm interested to try the other two as well. We hadn't heard anything good about them until now, so now we have a reason to check them out. To Moonspots: Hope to hear from you. I will be making regular posts once I get organized with my trip report writing again. I should have a Mt. St. Helens post and a Mount Adams post up shortly in the next few weeks. For anyone still swinging by and wondering, I'm really looking for someone to start tackling some peaks with. I have completed 37 of the 53 14ers in Colorado in younger life. Now that I live in Washington, it seems that the list I keep hearing about is the Bulgers list. I have only ever been on Mt. Rainier and Mt. Adams. And I have only summited Mt. Rainier. I have a fair amount of mountaineering experience and sure would enjoy the company of a friend and fellow climber on some of these journeys. I am open to anything; if you have tons of experience - great!, you have no experience - great! Just looking for someone with that same yearning to get out in the mountains and have fun.

hoganct

hoganct
PostWed Nov 13, 2019 10:40 pm 
Timbo, I'm also new to the Olympia area and mountaineering in general. I've done a decent amount of backpacking and some long distance trail running, but not much as far as climbing goes. I'd be very interested in linking up sometime and bagging a peak or two! I'm also looking to learn some skills and knowledge from someone with more experience. Thanks!

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSun Nov 17, 2019 11:32 pm 
Dogs? Not at Mima Mounds or Billy Frank jr Wildlife Refuge. Best.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!