Forum Index > Trip Reports > Peakbagging Kenya, Uganda, February 1-18, 2020
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
PeakJunkie

PeakJunkie
PostMon Mar 09, 2020 10:37 am 
Fascinating, especially since I just returned in early February from climbing peaks in Uganda... Way to go!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostFri Mar 13, 2020 11:25 am 
Hey everyone, thanks for all the positive feedback (see next comment for responses). Apologies for neglecting to respond, but please allow me to explain... On my second flight home from this trip, Frankfurt to San Francisco, I was sandwiched in-between two very sick people. For over 11 hours there was constant coughing. I wore my hospital mask religiously, but because of the gap from the beard which I grew during this trip, the mask proved ineffective. Four days after returning home, I fell ill. What started as upper-respiratory congestion quickly turned into severe fatigue, dry cough, chills and fever of 103, and subsequent pneumonia. I spent many days sleeping 20 hours a day. The pneumonia progressed until I had extreme difficulty breathing and couldn't get enough air, even with a full breath. I was gasping. At this point I was hospitalized and given breathing treatment as well as antibiotics. The illness has fully passed, and I feel 100 percent for the first time today, but Frances and I remain isolated from any contact with other people. She did not get sick. Follow-up x-rays at the hospital show that the "pneumonia nodule" in my lungs is now gone. I asked a bunch of questions trying to determine whether this was flu or Corona. There were no clear answers from the doctors, but a nurse told me that I was not tested for Corona during my stay, and that "not much has changed" in terms of the number of tests available in the medical system in Nevada. Furthermore, she said based on my travel she thought it was likely that I did indeed have Corona. But this is only the opinion of a medical assistant. I find this lack of testing to be very disturbing considering the number of deaths world-wide, which is now over 5000.

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostFri Mar 13, 2020 11:41 am 
RichP wrote:
Fascinating area for some peakbagging. Hoping to make it over there one of these days for some of the same.
I hope you make it. I found the travel to in this part of east Africa and the previous trip to be quite a bit easier than one might expect. Thanks! Aaron, Fletcher, Eric, Jake, Joe, Monty
Bernardo wrote:
Thanks! Really interesting. How do you think it would be to live there for a few years?
That's a very interesting question, I'm not sure how to answer. I guess I would respond with another question, which is, what are you looking for in terms of experience? When I was 18 I moved to Morocco for 3 months and rented an apartment in Essaouira with a view of the Atlantic. That experience was transformative.
jcocci wrote:
Does this Petter live in Norway and is a professor there? If so then my wife and met him in a hut in Lofoten a few years back. Interesting guy.
Yeah! That's him. He's quite a unique personality. I try to emulate a small portion of his Norwegian stoicism, but fail horribly.
PeakJunkie wrote:
Fascinating, especially since I just returned in early February from climbing peaks in Uganda... Way to go!
Really? Did you get into the Rwenzoris? Thanks everyone else, for all the feedback. You make documenting these trips more fun.

RichP

RichP
PostFri Mar 13, 2020 1:18 pm 
Gimpilator wrote:
The pneumonia progressed until I had extreme difficulty breathing and couldn't get enough air, even with a full breath. I was gasping. At this point I was hospitalized and given breathing treatment as well as antibiotics.
Sounds scary. Glad you are on the mend.

jcocci

jcocci
PostFri Mar 13, 2020 3:44 pm 
Gimpilator wrote:
jcocci wrote:
Does this Petter live in Norway and is a professor there? If so then my wife and met him in a hut in Lofoten a few years back. Interesting guy.
Yeah! That's him. He's quite a unique personality. I try to emulate a small portion of his Norwegian stoicism, but fail horribly.
Yes he is quite the character. He rolled into the hut pretty late and was quite the talker.