Forum Index > Gear Talk > what material for tent stuff sack
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
iron

iron
PostTue Aug 30, 2022 12:10 am 
i have a few sleeve bags for tents (copper spur, black diamond) and the poles are poking holes through the base. looking to sew up some new ones. suggestions on a durable material that isn't too expensive or heavy?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Aug 30, 2022 7:25 am 
Seattle Fabrics sells heat sealable pack cloth in a heavy weight and mid weight. I've used it to make dry bags and used polyurethane glue to bond the webbing onto ends so the bags can constructed with out access to a heavy duty sewing machine or tedious hand stitching. https://www.seattlefabrics.com/Heat-Sealable-Nylons_c_80.html If you have access to a decent sewing machine Seattle Fabrics also sells a good selection of coated waterproof fabrics that make good stuff sacks https://www.seattlefabrics.com/Coated-Ripstop_c_134.html The 4 oz Super K coat ripstop is very tough and durable if you want something that will stand up to hard use. https://www.seattlefabrics.com/60-4-Ounce-Super-K-Kote-Ripstop-1150-linear-yard_p_46.html

InFlight
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostThu Sep 01, 2022 2:06 pm 
If your not into sewing, Zpacks offers Dyneema tent pole sacks in three different sizes. I have there well made stake bag, but use trekking poles on my tent.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri Sep 02, 2022 1:15 pm 
InFlight wrote:
If your not into sewing, Zpacks offers Dyneema tent pole sacks in three different sizes.
One of my hobbies is making stuff (and lots of stuff sacks) out of dyneema. I used to sew them together and then seal the seam with dyneema tape. Then I realized the sewing was not necessary. Now I just tape them together. That will save you the cost of a sewing machine. My latest project is a sack that has three functions. It is a tall cylinder shaped sleeping bag stuff sack with a slightly funnel shaped opening to make it easier to stuff the bag. In addition, I added a slotted hole on bottom so I can use it as an inflation bag for my Neoair Xtherm sleeping pad. Then I added two loop hooks on one side to use it as a ridge line gear bag for trips when I take my hammock. That eliminated two pieces of gear I have to carry.