Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Prof Zentner Central WA geology livestream & archives (CWU professor)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Jun 10, 2020 8:13 pm 
Are you people watching this? Nick Zenter (from Nick on the Rocks fame) took to livestreaming Central Washington & Cascades geology lessons during the pandemic, from his yard, front porch, and his "cozy fort." Fascinating stuff. Awesome teacher. A cat. cussin' and food used as props. It's the only online lesson where you don't skip ahead to the beginning of the lesson; the first 10 minutes is him setting up and testing equipment, and viewers from all over the world mustering, and it's fun. Ya gotta love it! Nick Zentner archived geology livestream lessons, YouTube menu or choose videos and get more information from his website here.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Jun 11, 2020 11:07 am 
Thanks for alerting us to Zentner's "at home" series, Kim. I just finished watching "Ancient Rivers of the PNW" from his regular public lectures that someone referenced on another thread. He's amazing! edit: Just watched some of his "Livestream test B" - what a hoot!

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Jun 11, 2020 12:52 pm 
Yeah, he cracks me up. And it's clear he is well-loved by students and general fans. People from around the world send him gifts and loan him hisorival papers. The Livestream about geologic time where a Big Hunk candy bar is used as a proof is great. Basalt flows episode - really nice.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Jun 11, 2020 1:13 pm 
At 58.12 in his Livestream Test B, he talks about how and why he took a "different path" to teaching in the geology field, ie, not pursuing a PhD and tenure, etc. It was more important to him to really do quality education and be accessible. wub.gif

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Jun 12, 2020 11:02 am 
Yes; and it's easy to see that he is gifted in teaching complex things to laypeople. He apparently does presentations in Spokane (or Yakima, can't remember) for the public. I wouldn't mind popping in on one when he starts those up again. His Bing Crosby Geology video is adapted from one of those public presentations.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Jun 12, 2020 4:12 pm 
Tuned in last eve for his live stream. His enthusiasm is so infectious. I was feeling kind of "meh" about Netflix lately; think I'll cancel for the summer and watch his lectures instead. biggrin.gif

IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostSat Jun 13, 2020 9:39 am 
Nick's enthusiasm has always made his teaching so effective! up.gif
Kim Brown wrote:
the first 10 minutes is him setting up and testing equipment, and viewers from all over the world mustering, and it's fun.
I can't say which of these new backyard lectures it was, but after starting the video rolling he wanders away thinking he is out of the frame and "waters one of his shrubs" with an international audience. ykm.gif

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSat Jun 13, 2020 10:27 pm 
Yah, saw that one too! And I like it when he goes off on a tangent about something. It was the shadow of an oak tree the other day. He's a gifted teacher and I enjoy the guests he invites on occasion.

Geography Nerd
Beer Tester

Geography Nerd
Beer Tester
PostWed Jun 17, 2020 10:42 am 
Nick was one of my instructors my first quarter at Central and one of the best instructors I had during my undergrad (set the bar high to start!) So cool to find this!

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Jun 18, 2020 12:23 pm 
Last night, I watched the episode about Israel C. Russell, of the USGS. The man was a dynamo! Good lord. What was quite interesting was that his description (in 1897 or ‘98) of the Carbon River included the observation that the river was filling in its valley because it was unable to carry the bedload farther. Which is why the Carbon River Road is washed out over 100 years later. Prescient observation, seems like. And after watching some of the other episodes about early geologists in Washington – it looks to me like J Harlen Bretz may have got some really big tips and nudges regarding his flood hypothesis, and other various other features in Central Washington were noted by Russell well before other geologists were credited with their studies of those features. Russell noted basalt layers, petrified wood, and features caused by rushing water, and others in Zentner’s videos had similar observations as Bretz, before Bretz was on the scene. But those guys didn’t hang around to solve the flood mystery, or the other mysteries, so those scientists' credit still stands in my book.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Jun 20, 2020 4:49 pm 
ditto.gif , Kim! I tuned in this morning for the "Giant Current Ripples" talk - related to the ancient Lake Missoula floods/Scablands phenomena. As usual, there's pre-lecture banter while people check in from all over the world. This morning he showed a gift sent by some wood-carving fans, memorializing his columnar basalt blooper. He has an amazing fan club, and I guess I'm hooked! His folksy delivery brings chuckles or a LOL every episode I've seen - plus I'm learning a lot. Beats the daily bad news. Tomorrow's livestream at 9 am : Yellowstone Geology!

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostThu Aug 20, 2020 12:17 pm 
His video on Dry Falls is incredibly well produced

Lindsay

Lindsay
PostThu Aug 27, 2020 9:31 am 
Are you all thrilled that Nick (and Bijou!) are coming back for livestreams this September? I'm stoked to endeavor into the exotic terranes of the North Cascades with Nick and fans! The Nick on the Fly videos have been fun, informative fodder this summer, but there's something about his informal lectures that really conveys information.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Aug 27, 2020 10:41 am 
I am! I have enjoyed his Nick on the Fly videos as well, but I miss his at-home sessions! I love Bijou wub.gif

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostMon Aug 31, 2020 7:04 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
Nick Zenter
The geology professor I wished I could have been.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still