Forum Index > Photography Talk > x-t20 bag/case for hiking and backpacking?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
shoulderseason

shoulderseason
PostTue Jan 30, 2018 3:51 pm 
Hi all. I've been a longtime user of the RX100 series and found it a good compromise for travel and hiking backpacking. Over the last year, though, I've been leaning toward a slightly larger sensor and some of the flexibility of an ILC, preferably with some more dedicated controls. After probably too much indecision (and looking at the many excellent photos people post here), I'm leaning toward an X-T20, probably starting with the kit 18-55 but eventually adding a wide prime and maybe their 18-135. One of the things I love about the RX100 series is that it fits well in an Osprey Digistow, so I don't smash it up too much when I watch the scenery more than what's right in front of me. It's easy to attach to chest or hip belts or to toss in a bag. I've seen some of the clip-on attachments for ILC, and those appeal, though I don't know how much I trust myself. Even if I end up doing that much of the time, I still would like something to put the camera plus an attached lens sometimes, and am thinking ahead to carrying multiple lenses. Has anyone here found a good option that balances protection for the camera with weight/bulk? This will also be my first ILC, so also feel free to point out any errant assumptions or ideas that don't fit with your experience. Also -- in case it is helpful for anyone else thinking through this, anyone wants to reopen the can of worms on camera choice, I was torn between the X-T20, the A6500, the X-E3, the M100, and the M-D E-M10 III.
  • I've been really happy with the RX100, so started looking with the A6300 and A6500, but Sony's lens system is a bit limited. That seems to be improving?
  • I liked the XT-20's controls better than the X-E3's, though would love the touchscreen on the XE-3.
  • It seems like Fujifilm has a decent range of lenses at decent prices. Unfortunately, the lack of IBIS seems limiting for 3rd party lenses.
  • The Canon EOS series seems really promising but doesn't seem as mature as competitors. The lack of USB charging in the M100 is annoying; for longer trips, I've loved that a backup battery and an Anker solar panel mean that I'm not really sweating battery life anymore.
  • Reviewers seem to love the M-D E-M10 III, but I just didn't like its controls or JPG output as much as what I saw with the X series.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostTue Jan 30, 2018 8:04 pm 
I was leaning toward picking up an X-T2 or an X-T20 as a backpacking camera to cut down on some weight. The X-E3 doesn't quite have the features that the X series bodies do, and I didn't really want to buy into the Sony ecosystem having already invested in a ton of Nikon gear. I decided to not get either because the weight savings over my existing setup (D600) would only have been about a pound (not really worth the investment) and the decrease in image quality was definitely noticeable from the raw files I had a chance to play around with - plus Nikon is rumored to be releasing a new mirrorless this year. But either of the X-T models look like fine cameras and they are more than capable of producing some excellent results. I know a couple of pros who switched to Fuji and have no regrets at all.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostTue Jan 30, 2018 9:00 pm 
Any reason you aren't considering micro-4/3 format for a hiking camera? All the compact bodies are getting close to the same size in all formats, but the slightly smaller sensor gains you a significantly lighter and smaller lens because it requires a smaller patch of light. Simple physics says the larger sensor requires a larger lens. That is why the tiny sensor cameras can have super zooms in a very compact package, albeit with a significant loss of image quality and dynamic range. And you have a large range of lenses to choose from, ranging from decent quality to pro quality lens. And once you are on the M4/3 standard, you can use your lens even if you switch brands. Some pretty amazing image stabilization is becoming available too. For myself, I find M4/3 is the sweet spot for a decent size sensor but I am still willing to lug it along on every hike. Just a thought.

friluftsliv
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed Jan 31, 2018 7:34 pm 
gb

gb
PostThu Feb 01, 2018 10:18 am 
boot up wrote:
Any reason you aren't considering micro-4/3 format for a hiking camera? All the compact bodies are getting close to the same size in all formats, but the slightly smaller sensor gains you a significantly lighter and smaller lens because it requires a smaller patch of light. Simple physics says the larger sensor requires a larger lens. That is why the tiny sensor cameras can have super zooms in a very compact package, albeit with a significant loss of image quality and dynamic range. And you have a large range of lenses to choose from, ranging from decent quality to pro quality lens. And once you are on the M4/3 standard, you can use your lens even if you switch brands. Some pretty amazing image stabilization is becoming available too.
The image stabilization on Olympus cameras is superb and pretty much means you get sharp shots no matter what if the sun is still up. There are far more lens choices in m4/3 and pro quality lenses are very sharp.
Quote:
For myself, I find M4/3 is the sweet spot for a decent size sensor but I am still willing to lug it along on every hike. Just a thought.
You can go small or large. The EM-10 III is a dumbed down camera, try the EM-5 II or the EM-1 II or a better grade Panasonic body. Panasonic body stabilization is not as good as Olympus; historically Panasonic relied on lens stabilization. I find the colors on my Olympus EM-1 I jpegs to be bang on.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostThu Feb 01, 2018 10:46 am 
gb wrote:
Panasonic body stabilization is not as good as Olympus; historically Panasonic relied on lens stabilization. I find the colors on my Olympus EM-1 I jpegs to be bang on.
Panasonic has stepped up their game in image stabilization. They now have combined in body and in lens in the newest offering. One of my favorite lens is an Oly 9-18 that works quite well with my G85 in-body stabilization. If you don't do any post processing, there is nothing that competes with Oly out of camer jpegs. I have come close to switching to Oly M4/3 but there are tradeoffs on any camera and I always seem to end up with Panny these days, at least in my budget range. It is nice knowing I can switch brand without having to toss out any lens.

friluftsliv
shoulderseason

shoulderseason
PostTue Feb 06, 2018 1:51 pm 
Thanks all -- you're re-opened pandora's box on camera choices ;-).
boot up wrote:
Any reason you aren't considering micro-4/3 format for a hiking camera?
A year ago, I would have learned toward an m4/3 and actually started looking there. The range of lenses (and being able to switch body brand without dealing with an adapter or new lenses) is nice. The point about the sensor/lens size trade off is well taken. ... but so far, I've liked the out-of-camera JPG samples on the Fujifilm cameras more than samples I've seen from Olympus or Panasonic -- though I know that's a matter of taste and its a small enough difference that I have trouble saying what I like more.
gb wrote:
The EM-10 III is a dumbed down camera, try the EM-5 II or the EM-1 II or a better grade Panasonic body.
I had liked the size of the E-M10 III which made it still a close contender other than liking the X series output a bit better and the controls on the X-T20 more. I hadn't really looked at the E-M5 II. I think body size and weight deterred me, along with the contrast detect autofocus. It seemed like a shame to carry a larger and heavier body for a smaller sensor, though I wasn't considering that the m4/3 camera could have smaller lenses for the same range. Now that I look at it again, I think I should probably find an E-M5 II in-store to get my hands on this weekend. One other question -- how much do you all find that weather sealing matters? With all-in-ones, I haven't worried much about it, especially since it's been easy to keep them enclosed in a case. Should I be paying more attention here?

gb

gb
PostTue Feb 06, 2018 9:17 pm 
The big saving in weight is in the lenses. For instance, I own the high quality Panasonic 35-100 F2.8 zoom (70-200). It weighs 330 grams. My 12-40 F2.8 weighs 382 grams, my 8mm F1.8 FE 315 grams, my 60mm macro is 182 grams. I even have a 75-300 (150-600) Olympus zoom that I'll carry if I expect good wildlife. And no tripod except post sunset. In a body buy one that feels good in hand. My EM-1 I has a very nice grip. And the EVF on m EM-1 I is much better than older OVF's. The image stabilization is great. I routinely shoot down to 1/13th to 1/30th of a second. Some swear you can shoot one second handheld. All of the "Pro" lenses are weather sealed. That means splash and dust proof. I really don't shoot much in rain because of rain on the front of the lens but I would expect you shouldn't have trouble shooting in rain. With light rain I'll occasionally shoot and I'm not worried about my lenses or body.

shoulderseason

shoulderseason
PostTue Jul 10, 2018 8:37 pm 
After lots of looking and trying various bodies out in person, I ended up with an EM-5 mk II and the Olympus 12-50mm (24-100mm) as a starter lens. I tried it a bit locally and then gave it it's first real test on the Tour du Mont Blanc over the last week and a half. Some reflections:
  • while I slightly preferred the output of the Fujifilm XT-20 and the Sony A6500, the EM-5 won out for (a) easier controls over both (and much, much better compared to the A6500), (b) IBIS (compared to the XT-20), and (c) the smaller and lighter lenses for comparable ranges and brightness.
  • at first I tried carrying it in a bag, like I was used to with the RX100. That was sort of silly and I switched to the Peak Designs Capture Clip. That has overall worked well though my camera is now slightly scuffed up (which was bound to happen anyway).
  • We had a day that was a seemingly endless series of short showers followed by dry. I was particularly happy for the weatherproofing there.
  • When the Olympus JPEG engine gets it right, wow. But it also has some really weird quirks -- mostly in stripping details out and weird white balance choices. Both of these seem addressable with settings, though I really wish I had more time to experiment with it before I set out for the bigger trip, or that I had found some recommended settings guides (e.g., Robin Wong's) earlier.
So my overall reaction at this stage is that while the RX100 encourages me to experiment and take more photos because it is always at hand, the EM-5 encourages me to experiment and take more photos because it's so easy to try different things once it is in my hand.

Gil

Gil
PostWed Jul 11, 2018 7:46 pm 
I also bought an EM-5 recently with a 20mm f1.7 lens to use as my main "on the trail" camera, with my DSLR and lenses tucked away. It's been difficult getting used to the EVF -- still prefer seeing the actual image, but the Olympus is fine for what I'm using it for. I also bought an adapter so I can use my Nikon lenses on the EM-5 and that works surprisingly well. The adapter has a built-in tripod mount, which makes balancing the light body with heavier lenses pretty easy.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
shoulderseason

shoulderseason
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 1:46 pm 
I thought I'd return to this two years later with an update. I continued to really enjoy the camera, but upgraded to to the Olympus 12-100mm f4 (so, 24-200mm equivalent). That's been a pretty ideal travel lens -- great range, fast enough to get some bird photos, good for daytime wildlife overall. I do wish for a wider/faster option for astrophotography and dusk (though I got some lovely Neowise photos with the 12-100 this summer), but I don't wish for one enough to carry it (yet). The Olympus 12-200m is also tempting. I did upgrade to the OMD EM-1 mk III this spring, primarily for the high megapixel sensor, phase detect autofocus, and live ND filter. I had just enough autofocus misses with the previous camera, especially at dusk/dawn that this has been a nice upgrade despite adding a little bit to the weight and size. I am also regularly surprised at the long handheld exposures I can get with this body + lens combo. To my eyes, I still prefer Sony and Fuji's straight out of camera colors and at times long for an APS-C or full frame sensor, but overall, this is just a delightful system for backpacking. The camera really invites experimentation, and the lens's range at this weight & size is remarkable. My upgrade was just before Olympus announced the sale of their camera division, so I'm hoping that Olympus has a good turnaround post-sale, and that the m4/3 system has some longevity in it.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 11:03 pm 
I’m doubt their will be any R&D the new owners will spend on new glass or Camara body updates. The Olympus equipment will retain value, and be in use for many years still. Repair parts will continue to be available for quite awhile as well. If there’s a particular lens or accessory you still want, it would be good to pick up soon. Pentax will in all likelihood be next, their market share is getting very small. Long term only Canon, Fuji, Nikon and Sony in either APS-C or Full Frame are likely to survive. Even than some lines like the Canon M series will likely be paired down to a single mirrorless R line. Those of us that enjoy the photography, and want control of the process and exchangeable lens are a small minority. Smartphone are taking over the rest of the users. The megapixel wars gets a bit ridiculous for normal photographers. High quality photo printing is 300 dpi, thus a 8 x10 photo is only 8 megapixels. With cropping 14-16 megapixels covers most of the normally used photo sizes. If your a wedding or portrait photographer than 40+ megapixels for 16 x 20 is worthwhile.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau