Forum Index > Trip Reports > Klone Peak Area July 3-5, 2020
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Jul 22, 2020 4:24 pm 
July 4th weekend. Gotta get the dog out of the fireworks area...especially during COVID. Kirsten and I went to the Klone Peak area of the Entiat to do 6 easy baggable peaks with Ivy the dog! In the words of Mitch B.: Peakbagging in this area is like shooting fish in a barrel! Day 1: Drove to Middle Tommy Creek trailhead. For those who do not know...this is paved all the way...except the last 40 yards to the trailhead. Went from Tommy Creek to Whistling Pig Meadows where we dropped our packs and easily walked the trails up to Cougar Mtn and Ghost Tree Hill (Peak 6522). About 5000 feet of gain and 12 miles. Back to a cool campsite in the southwest section of Whistling Pig meadow. The old shelter is there and collapsed. Kirsten got a blister and walked on Teva from here for the rest of the trip. Day 2: We moved camp to the "Blue Creek Campground" on the map. Checked out the Forest Service Station and went up Peak 6389 southwest of Mad Lake, then up Klone Peak which had the best views!, and then east cross country toward Kelly Mountain and then down to Two Little Lakes. The majority of this time the trail was maintained. The trail south of Mad Lake up the side of peak 6389 had some minor blowdowns. The trail from Two Little Lakes to East Blue Creek Meadow had several blowdowns and nothing to stop a hiker. We made it back down to camp at Blue Creek Campground where a bunch of mozzies greeted us. Many open meadows just in the middle of tree stands. I was really surprised. Watercourses were running with water and really pretty. 18 miles and 2500 feet of gain. Day 3. We left from "Blue Creek Campground" and went up cross country up peak 6284 "Whistling Pig" The top sports a beautiful open meadow. I really liked this meadow due to the views. From here it was back to the car. 10 miles and 1000 feet of gain. All in all. 40 miles over 3 days. And to boot, Kirsten walked in a Teva for 30 miles!
klone peak area
klone peak area

Art is an adventure.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostWed Jul 22, 2020 5:59 pm 
smile.gif up.gif Good to see

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostWed Jul 22, 2020 6:47 pm 
I am a big fan of low alpine meadows, like the ones found in the Mad Lake/Two Little Lakes area. I did a lot of backpacking there in my teens and twenties. Nice pleasant area, but also popular with motor bikes and Mt. bikes (but they keep the trails open, bless their hearts). In fact, a few days ago Steve and I did a day hike along the Tyee Ridge trail (just below the lookout) out to Boiling Springs meadow. That is a stones throw away from Ghost Tree Hill. There truly is a spring boiling up out of the meadow at Boiling Springs.

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostThu Jul 23, 2020 6:46 am 
Nice TR from a place we don`t hear much about. Thanks