Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Water Pipes near Cutthroat Lake Trailhead?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Guiran

Guiran
PostMon Aug 03, 2020 6:46 am 
A few weeks ago, I was up at the Cutthroat Lake TH (Washington Pass) and walked up the overgrown road that spurs off right before you cross Cutthroat Creek on the bridge (this is steps past the parking area). Almost immediately, there's a metal tub with a pipe coming out of the ground and a sanded in valve across the way. If you walk a few minutes further, you come across PVC pipe in a few places, metal pipe in others, and then a corrugated metal cistern set maybe 8' into the ground. There's a bunch of wood debris in there (probably a collapsed cover), a metal table with a pump, and some metal pipe with valves that look like fill and discharge lines. Seems like quite a bit of trouble to build and can't figure out if it was for watering horses at the start of the trail, a water supply for a campground that no longer exists, or some irrigation district project. Does anyone know what this infrastructure was for?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Aug 03, 2020 1:43 pm 
Part of a road construction camp...? I just googled PVC, and it was used as early as the 1940's, so it's possible. But I would think the collapsed cover over a cistern would have been cleaned up by now. I know there was a construction camp at Early Winters.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Aug 03, 2020 1:50 pm 
I think the road used to go to the lake.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostSun Aug 16, 2020 11:57 pm 
Did you read this somewhere or just a distant memory? I'd like to learn more about this road after visiting the area today.