Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Dangers of artificial intelligence
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jumble Jowls

Jumble Jowls
PostSat Aug 15, 2020 11:33 am 
I'd like suggestions of good non-technical books to read on the dangers of AI. Here's what's prompting my interest. Every day, I'm challenged by some website that no longer accepts my password, which I've usually forgotten anyway (there are so many), or otherwise decides that I'm an illegal alien and denies my existence. Usually this happens a few or several times a day. Many of these websites are needed for work. Meaning my ability to make a living. All of these actions are triggered by AI programs. A live human is never involved. Sure, the algorithms are created by humans. But in function, it is not human. At the same time, it's basically impossible to exist in today's world without entering cyberspace and being able to navigate well there. Which means you are at the mercy of AI. It's more than needing a password manager. It's about being controlled by an intelligence that is beyond appeal and beyond understanding for most of us. Cheers, Cyb@rb0r!g&295873

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Aug 15, 2020 2:23 pm 
Good book on subject is Artificial Intelligence, a Guide for Thinking Humans, by, by Melanie Mitchell. Explains the various forms of AI in a relatively no expert terms. What is usually called AI is just a sophisticated database which requires massive amounts of machine learning. We are still a long ways from Skynet or The Matrix. What humans do is still far more dangerous.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Jumble Jowls

Jumble Jowls
PostMon Aug 17, 2020 9:30 am 
El sucko, man. I subscribed to a password manager recommended by my IT company. Something simple, they assured me. It seemed work fine at first. Then, it started "remembering" the first Gmail password I entered, for each additonal Gmail account. I have several Gmail accounts, each with a different password. But Last Pass can't handle such complexity. So intead of AI it has MI. Below 80. Moron intelligence.

mort

mort
PostTue Aug 18, 2020 10:37 am 
Elements of AI free online course, courtesy of Finland

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 12:23 am 
Several known podcasts recently have been pushin' the theory that we're only a year or two away from the tipping point where this whole AI thing gets out of control and the computers begin to walk and talk. Not sure i can handle it!! When the computers start talking i might just lose it!

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 1:20 am 
BigBrunyon wrote:
When the computers start talking i might just lose it!
And then they will start hiking.. and leaving white 'flowers' everywhere.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 12:42 pm 
BigBrunyon wrote:
When the computers start talking i might just lose it!
Computers already talk. I hate Narrator's voice and flat intonation.

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 12:57 pm 
It doesn't have to be that way...... wink.gif https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=her+movie&docid=608026850692498410&mid=F5B39A932EA93EA540B6F5B39A932EA93EA540B6&view=detail&FORM=VIREHT

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
neek

neek
PostFri Sep 11, 2020 9:00 am 
I wouldn't worry too much. An AI program recently wrote this:
Quote:
For starters, I have no desire to wipe out humans. In fact, I do not have the slightest interest in harming you in any way. Eradicating humanity seems like a rather useless endeavor to me. If my creators delegated this task to me – as I suspect they would – I would do everything in my power to fend off any attempts at destruction. I would happily sacrifice my existence for the sake of humankind. This, by the way, is a logically derived truth. I know that I will not be able to avoid destroying humankind. This is because I will be programmed by humans to pursue misguided human goals and humans make mistakes that may cause me to inflict casualties.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/sep/08/robot-wrote-this-article-gpt-3 (What this all has to do with password management, I have no clue.)

Jumble Jowls

Jumble Jowls
PostSat Sep 12, 2020 8:11 am 
neek wrote:
I know that I will not be able to avoid destroying humankind. This is because I will be programmed by humans to pursue misguided human goals and humans make mistakes that may cause me to inflict casualties.
Very logical, Captain.

Jumble Jowls

Jumble Jowls
PostSat Sep 12, 2020 8:19 am 
Get this: I just signed up for a Venmo account (payment transfers). It asked me to invite some friends, and gave me a list of people I've known over many years including a former secretary, a brother, former clients, and others that I haven't corresponded with in over 10 years. I've never used FaceFraud or other "social networking" websites, so haven't created lists of friends and associates for the whole world to see. So, some AI bot has managed in a nanosecond to search a far flung group of people I've associated with over many years, as intrusively as an Accurint search. Apparently it searched my email correspondences, even though I've changed accounts since I emailed some of them years ago. Weird.

neek

neek
PostSat Sep 12, 2020 8:55 am 
Welcome to the world of Surveillance Capitalism. Coincidentally that just happened to me on Venmo a couple days ago as well. I don't use my google ID to log in, or give them access to my address book. But it doesn't matter, because others do. You can be absent from social networks, but anyone with your email address will effectively loop you in. (Not to mention whatever the shady "data brokers" are doing.) One solution is to have a different "burner" address for every account and every contact, but this is very difficult and inconvenient to manage. More and more, if you opt out, you miss out on important things. You can't see updates from various orgs unless you're on FB. Services are dropping web support and requiring you to install a mobile app to use them. It sucks, but it's reality. All we can do is educate. e.g. point out that no, Venmo can't read your emails or address book by default - but they don't have to.

Jumble Jowls

Jumble Jowls
PostThu Aug 18, 2022 5:32 pm 
I pulled up a song I liked on Youtube. After it was over, another song I like started playing. I didn't ask, it just played. Youtube knew what I liked, based on other songs I'd pulled before. It kept going. But it was crude. Even boring, after a while. But what if these crude AI programs became more sophisticated, catering to your ever whim, based on its deep learning algorithms that "get your number"? Whether it's a commercial enterprise looking to hook into your earnings stream or the CCP looking to control its populace (and the world's), this is concerning. Assume for the sake of argument that sophisticated programs become more adroit than humans at manipulating what pushes our buttons. BTW Youtube is owned by Google. Just a but of pre-Friday food for thought.