Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Logging history of Quartz Creek.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
crock

crock
PostFri Jan 22, 2021 7:14 pm 
puzzlr wrote:
1956 Quartz Creek
1956 Quartz Creek
Puzzlr - where did you get this picture? I like old aerial photos.
RichP wrote:
The Snoqualmie Valley Historical Museum may be able to help you. There is an area to post inquiries under "research." Please share what you find out as many of us are interested in such things as well. https://snoqualmievalleymuseum.org
Rich - That is a great source. From their website I just read this https://snoqualmievalleymuseum.org/2020/12/29/puget-sound-and-the-northern-pacific-railroad-by-edmund-t-coleman/ interesting account of an ~1870 trek from Seattle up the South Fork Snoqualmie River.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
hunterofelke
Roland

hunterofelke
Roland
PostSat Jan 23, 2021 3:58 pm 
Today,(1/23/21) I hiked down to the Rainy Mine site. They really did a good job destroying the old road, but it was passable through a lot of salmon berry bushes and devils club. The main shaft site is just a hillside of rocks, but some old saw cut timbers, metal rods, and near the creek I found some parts from maybe a compressor or winch. Down by the creek just below the mine site there is a big dead hemlock with three wraps or cable around it. Pretty certain that killed the tree. Another thing that was interesting was a one inch cable going across Quartz creek and to another dead tree with cable wraps around it. I was surprised the cable was still unbroken. I wonder what this was for? My guess an anchor for the ore tram going up hill to the main road.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSun Jan 24, 2021 12:33 am 
crock wrote:
Scanned it at the National Archives at Sand Point. Forest Service collection. They're still closed because of COVID, and may be leaving Seattle permanently unless sane people keep the NW history in the NW.

crock

crock
PostMon Jan 25, 2021 10:44 am 
puzzlr wrote:
crock wrote:
Scanned it at the National Archives at Sand Point. Forest Service collection. They're still closed because of COVID, and may be leaving Seattle permanently unless sane people keep the NW history in the NW.
Individuals can come into the Sand Point building (when it is open) and scan aerial photos, but these aerial photos aren't online?

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Jan 25, 2021 5:41 pm 
No, most of the collection is not online -- they have massive amounts of materials and digitization has a long ways to go. Even the indices to the various series are not that detailed. There are many boxes of USFS aerial photos. In the boxes there are maps that identify where each photo was taken (this was how the USFS organized them) but even those maps are not online. I scanned and stitched these too. I uploaded one of them to give you an idea of what they look like. After one gets used to the system you don't waste as much time and get more scanning done.
1942 USFS aerial photo line index
1942 USFS aerial photo line index

timberghost

timberghost
PostWed Jan 27, 2021 1:19 pm 
So how were you able to obtain this map? Time on their hands and not out in the field guess what time to digitize smile.gif

fjoro

fjoro
PostFri Feb 12, 2021 1:44 pm 
puzzlr wrote:
Judge blocks sale and closure of National Archives in Seattle

How would Horatio Alger have handled this situation?
timberghost

timberghost
PostFri Feb 12, 2021 5:32 pm 
It would be a shame to see this building sold and the documents moved out of state.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Feb 17, 2021 7:40 pm 
And even worse, for the past year when it could have been available for people to finish up research on an accelerated schedule the facility has been closed because of COVID restrictions. I was actually there on March 25, 2020 doing scanning the last day it was open to the public. They told everyone they could stay until closing time. I crammed in as much as I could get.