Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Crystal Mountain, Alterra, and USFS Leases
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Apr 11, 2022 9:51 am 
cascadeclimber wrote:
I guess I feel like parking on wild public land should be free, yes.
Why do you expect to park for free? Operating a motor vehicle to reach said trailhead isn't free. If you account for fuel, wear and tear and insurance -- it costs $100 to drive to Crystal from Seattle and return using IRS "business use" rates or $24 using IRS "Charity" rates. Driving to the snow on a plowed road to enjoy the pleasure of skiing (or hiking or climbing) is a luxury. If you are going to take up some sort of "Social Justice" cause -- free parking for recreation seems far down on the list of causes to get worked up about.

kw
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Apr 11, 2022 10:04 am 
Well in the early 70’s we packed downhill skis and boots up St. Helens was that considered “ski touring”? The Silver Skis race from Muir to Paradise was in the 1930’s. Mining camps in the 1870 got around on Norwegian Snowshoes. Until the 1920s all there was was ski touring /s

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

Randito
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Apr 11, 2022 2:58 pm 
Randito wrote:
Why do you expect to park for free? Operating a motor vehicle to reach said trailhead isn't free. If you account for fuel, wear and tear and insurance -- it costs $100 to drive to Crystal from Seattle and return using IRS "business use" rates or $24 using IRS "Charity" rates.
So you think people should have to pay private companies for parking on land they own because gasoline isn't free. How much do you think I should have to pay Safeway to pet my cat since bananas aren't free either?

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Apr 11, 2022 5:14 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
I should have to pay Safeway to pet my cat
I'm a dog person, so I think if you bring your cat into a Safeway -- a fee of $1000 is appropriate.

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostTue Apr 12, 2022 8:22 am 
Randito wrote:
Why do you expect to park for free?
Because pretty much forever until about 15 years ago there was no additional charge other than the TAXES we all already pay, to simply park at a trailhead. And somehow, for hundreds of years, this worked. My position is that we already pay for public land through state and federal taxes that go to general funds. What's changed is that entities that are supposed to be looking after undeveloped public land have both been defunded and have been wildly financially irresponsible, especially in terms of adding unnecessary structure with no budget to maintain it. My car is privately owned, so yeah, it costs me to drive it. And...by and large, I don't pay an additional cost to drive on the roads to wild places...because the roads are funded from my state and federal tax dollars. So is the plowing you mentioned ("snow parks" and MORA excepted because...reasons?). Maybe I'd feel differently if I saw money being spent in the spirit of wild land. But that's not what I see. I see money spent to destroy or fence trails I've used for decades because they are 'environmentally unsound', while yards away tens of acres of trees are cut down and paved for a parking lot or razed to the ground by logging, new unnecessary trails built, killing thousands of trees where an entirely functional (but again somehow 'environmentally unsound') trail was just fine. Money spent to put web cams in wilderness zones, to setup internet access in the same places, to pay rangers to carry guns, to park an ambulance and crew in a lot any time its open, to 'develop' parking lots just so a parking pass can be required, to gate parking lots and then pay people to unlock and lock them every day (which serves to limit rather than increase access, especially access at less crowded times). All to what end? Biggering land management budgets and departments.

If not now, when?
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Apr 12, 2022 9:07 am 
cascadeclimber wrote:
Because pretty much forever until about 15 years ago there was no additional charge other than the TAXES we all already pay, to simply park at a trailhead. And somehow, for hundreds of years, this worked.
Prior to the '80s the USFS budget included substantial revenue from timber sales. Environmental activism curtailed timber sales. I'm happy about that. Federal spending since the Reagan tax cuts has focused much less on "the general welfare". I agree that it is annoying to have to pay "user fees" to participate in recreational activities. There are many social problems that have resulted from the political shift away "promoting the general welfare" that started with Reagan toward the current politics of "its all about me". Paying to park at a ski resort or hiking trailhead in the overall context of the shift to favoring the wealthy over the common person is not the highest priority of social ills to be addressed in my book.

kiliki

kiliki
PostSun Apr 17, 2022 9:42 am 
^^^ This. It's not that federal land management agencies are spending more on infrastructure--on the contrary. The most prolific development periods in NPS history were the 1930s and 1956-1966. The NPS spend over $1 billion during the latter period on roads, campgrounds, trails, day use areas, lodges, housing etc etc. But parks were free. Taxes were high and that's (in part) what we spent the money on. No more. The pay to play model is what lawmakers have decided will be the funding source. (And of course here in WA, we have lawmakers that have gone so far as to mandate that state parks be entirely self sustaining). You can look at the budgets to various state and federal land management agencies over the years; they have been slashed or at best remained static in the face of growing population. And as much as I support the environmental laws and laws that protect cultural resources, they do take a chunk of the budget--for protection, monitoring, etc.

kiliki

kiliki
PostSun Apr 17, 2022 3:56 pm 
The guy behind The Storm Skiing Journal recently had a Q&A where he talked, among other things, about how WA in particular "needs" more lift serviced downhill ski areas, and he generally blamed environmentalists for the lack of new areas. I disagree a lot with his conclusions but it made me wonder--do we think people here would even support new ski area development? It seems to me that more people, even outdoors people, would oppose than support it. I hate crowded slopes but I don't want to see new paved roads and parking lots and logged runs. https://www.stormskiing.com/p/ask-me-anything-68-reader-questions?s=r Washington, where the need for more skier capacity is probably most acute, has been a no-go-zone for wilderness development for decades. This 1992 Los Angeles Times examination of why the Early Winters ski resort had been stalled since Aspen selected the Northern Cascades site for development in 1974 summarized the roadblocks succinctly: Developers everywhere cite the same reasons for delayed or aborted projects: a new generation of environmental laws, and a new generation of environmentalists quick to apply the letter of those laws. “They can literally tie the hands of an operator merely by appealing, regardless of whether there are grounds for their appeal,” said Doug Campbell, president of the Pacific Northwest Ski Assn. This basic situation remains true today, and I don’t see that dynamic changing, no matter how overstuffed the existing Cascades resorts get. East of the coastal states, developers find friendlier regulators, but that leads to the second issue: ski resorts are insanely expensive. ... Most Western resorts operate on U.S. Forest Service leases, and most of the land most suitable to ski area development probably lies within these holdings. The ski industry should work with the Forest Service to establish a template for future resort development, which could hinge on transit-oriented access, dense and walkable pedestrian base villages, sustainable water sourcing, and clean, onsite energy plants. There are solutions out there if everyone can compromise a little bit.

trestle

trestle
PostSun Apr 17, 2022 7:23 pm 
kiliki wrote:
if everyone can compromise a little bit
There's the magic word that can no longer be spoken in the halls of leadership.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Apr 18, 2022 2:35 pm 
trestle wrote:
kiliki wrote:
if everyone can compromise a little bit
There's the magic word that can no longer be spoken in the halls of leadership.
He seems to mean, the USFS should back off on environmental regulations, and ski resort developers should be flexible on what they can build, and then we'll get new or expanded ski areas and it won't be so crowded. I just think that ignores all of the different user groups and the fact they might not want to cede territory, so to speak, to corporate entities that are going to charge well north of $100 for a lift ticket, probably paid parking access, plus bringing new crowds to what might have been a favorite backcountry ski or snowmobile spot. Plus there are indeed many of us that don't want new parking lots, lift towers, lodges and other infrastructure in pretty mountain areas. It's not just unreasonable government bureaucrats or hardcore environmentalists.

trestle

trestle
PostThu May 05, 2022 11:10 am 
Came across this informative essay today. When is the end of the golden age of PNW skiing? Some very interesting comments about the unfortunate closing of Pilchuck.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat May 07, 2022 3:33 pm 
kiliki wrote:
It's not just unreasonable government bureaucrats or hardcore environmentalists.
Every hiker is an environmentalist on some level, that's why we make a priority of going to a natural environment. smile.gif

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostTue May 10, 2022 8:20 am 
Randito wrote:
Paying to park at a ski resort or hiking trailhead in the overall context of the shift to favoring the wealthy over the common person is not the highest priority of social ills to be addressed in my book.
I agree, and that doesn't mean (as is often the implication) that nothing but the highest priority should be addressed. This thread is about access, not the highest priority social ill. There are simple, tangible things that land managers could do to reduce fixed and capital costs. And I often see them doing the opposite. Gated trailhead parking lots both severely limit access and use, and add fixed costs. That the lots can be a problem at night shouldn't be a problem that is solved by increased staff costs and curtailing access to the general public. Target isn't gating their parking lot at night. The NPS at MORA sucking on the teat of the guide services has them ignoring Wilderness Act violations, violating it themselves, providing access to for-profit companies when the park is closed to the public, and investing millions in changes at Camp Muir that have dubious benefit except to RMI et al. I had a conversation with an official there who insisted that the infrastructure to provide internet access for rangers at Muir and Schurman was essential so they can "file their reports". I asked how ranger reports had been filed for over 100 years without internet service at these camps. No answer was proffered. Are they underfunded? Yes. Do they make smart financial decisions that are oriented toward maintaining affordable/free public access and minimizing fixed costs? Not in my opinion.

If not now, when?
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue May 10, 2022 9:03 am 
cascadeclimber wrote:
Target isn't gating their parking lot at night.
Try doing #Vanlife for a while and let me know how how often you get "the knock" from security after Target , Wally World, etc. It used to be that #VanLife and #RVLife people could camp at almost any Walmart parking lot, but this is no longer the case. The gates at Mailbox for example are just the physical manifestation of more intestive management of high use trailheads. The fact that an official visits the trailhead daily to open and close the gate is a factor in keeping the Mailbox lot generally available to hikers. Have you visited the western end of Greenlake park in the last couple years ? That might give you an indication of what the Mailbox trailhead might be like without "that dammed gate"

altasnob

altasnob
PostWed Jun 01, 2022 6:13 am 
Crystal has set up a bunch of canvas "glamping" tents at 6,000 feet around Cambell Basin lodge so Amazon and Microsoft can hold corporate retreats there. Since it is National Forest Land, there is nothing they can do if someone wants to go pitch their tent in the middle of the camp. https://crystalskycamp.com/