Forum Index > Gear Talk > Stretch-Flex Tents
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Luc

Luc
PostThu Mar 11, 2021 12:16 pm 
I'm interested in stretch canopies but all I can find is stretch tents for events. This would be for road tripping so weight isn't a problem. The problem I'm finding is that they are giant and intended for events - not sun/rain shelters to be put over a picnic table. Also open to other suggestions. I have found that traditional canopies are kind of crappy, ugly, bulky, and actually not very easy to setup with one person. Last year I bough an ozark 12x12 on our road trip and it buckled in the wind, took up a ton of space when packed up, and was kind of comedic to setup with one person. I know that setting up a pole-based canopy would also be kind of funny to watch if it was large. Anyone have anything like a flex/stretch canopy, that is quite large, but doesn't cost thousands of dollars? Perhaps there's a tarp-tent/canopy product that is large?

GNGSTR
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostSat Mar 13, 2021 9:56 am 
For sheltering a picnic table something like a Noah Tarp (12x12) and two poles should get the job done. REI sells the tarp, poles, and stakes. You could rig up a wood clamp and shock-cord for one side of the table, to keep one pole in place. That would make single person setup easier.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Luc

Luc
PostMon Mar 15, 2021 9:26 pm 
I like that tarp. I'm looking for something a bit more burly though. Something that can be pitched pretty tight. I understand that using poles rather than a frame will compromise integrity somewhat, but I still think something might be out there that splits the difference.

GNGSTR