Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Who names trees Sylvia, anyways?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hatchetation

hatchetation
PostFri Feb 26, 2021 2:43 pm 
In OO Denny park (a delightful patch of Seattle forestland which just happens to be located in Kirkland) there is a plaque honoring an old, large, fallen tree called Sylvia.
Quote:
Age: Over 600 years old Circumference: 26.3 ft Biggest tree in King County Toppled January 20, 1993
At first, this sign stuck with me because of the extremely dubious "biggest in the county" claim. However, after several years of on-and-off researching, I've been able to find almost nothing about the history of this tree. Why the name Syliva? Dunno, though probably Silvia being a forest god has something to do with it. Who first noticed it? Dunno Who named it? Dunno Who measured it? Who put the plaque up? Who replaced it several times over the years? I was about to drop the whole thing when I stumbled across Bill Mueller at big tree holding a gun (PO.976.0079) in the Snoqualmie Valley Historical Museum Photograph Collection. Looking closely, just left of him is a carved sign which appears to say "SILVIA [?something]". Ahhh-ha! Is this a loggers thing? Was Silvia used as a nickname for large trees back in the day? The OO Denny Sylvia is on a ca 1970s map (preserved in the Sherwood History collection), along with a drawing of an old skid road when there was some selective logging in the area. I like the theory that Silvia was an old generic nickname for big trees, and that occasionally the name stuck. Thoughts? All my other ideas are far worse than this one.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tlake

tlake
PostFri Feb 26, 2021 5:54 pm 
They made home ceiling insulation out of wood chips and called it Silva Fiber at the Snoqualmie Mill site.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostFri Feb 26, 2021 6:54 pm 
A silvaculturist?

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Feb 26, 2021 11:21 pm 
Silva is Latin for forest

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostSat Feb 27, 2021 8:47 am 
I think we should change the name to Fred.... clown.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Mar 03, 2021 12:44 am 
That 'biggest tree in King County' is bogus if that's literally what they mean. First of all, it's not standing. I know a stump that has a circumference of over 60'. But also quite a few standing healthy growing cedars that are over 11' in diameter (35' in circumference). Definitely in King County.
12' 6" diameter cedar
12' 6" diameter cedar

hatchetation

hatchetation
PostMon May 03, 2021 8:17 am 
I hear ya - absolutely not the largest. Even when that Sylvia was standing, nearly 3 decades ago, her coronation ignored several similar massive healthy stovepipes nearby. Even if they meant tallest, it's still not accurate. As far as I know, the tallest tree in WA is actually off-peninsula near St. Helens. Even in King county, there are a few >300 ft Doug firs, and she wasn't one of em. Best hypothetical superlative I can come up with would be, "Tallest metropolitan tree on the west coast".