Forum Index > Trail Talk > Critique My Mount Baker Training
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Seattle_Wayne

Seattle_Wayne
PostFri Jun 30, 2023 6:44 pm 
I'm heading up with Alpine Ascents July 7-9th. I've been training for ten months. September 2022- I started out doing 30-40 minute cardio runs with stair master for 30 minutes 2x a week. October 2022- increased cardio to 45-50 minute runs with the occasional Rogue Assault bike 2-3x a week. November 2022- increase cardio to 60 min added weighted vest for 12% incline on treadmill and stair master 3x a week. December 2022- 60 min treadmill runs, 60 min Rogue Assault Bike + strength training 3x a week. January 2023- I started doing HIIT Training- 20 min stair master/20 min Treadmill/20 min Box Step ups Training Hike 2.8 miles 985 vert in 32 min Started doing a lot of Core Workouts 3x a week February 2023- 5 Cardio runs for 40 minutes- focused a lot on building core this month 2x a week March 2023- Same as February- core workouts with several cardio runs throughout the month 2x a week April 2023- Same as February and March- logged nine workouts this month as overtime at work really started picking up 2x a week May 2023- Logged eight 50-60 minute runs with 10 min of core workouts (HITT) as well as 5 30-40 minute Rogue Assault Bike I also hiked Mailbox Peak this month 9.4 miles (New Trail) 4k and my time was 2hrs 37 minutes to the summit. June 2023- 30 min HITT on Rogue Assault Bike for 3 days straight (6/1-3) on 6/5- a 60 min Rogue Assault Bike then on 6/9 40 min hill run with core +leg strengthening then on 6/11 Camp Muir Climb with IMG, (start time 9:30am- got to Muir at 215pm- focused on rest step, pressure breathing, etc, back to parking lot by 5pm). 4x Rogue Assault Bike + hill runs + strength training to finish out June with a hike up to Independence Lake, Pass Lake and Coal Lake on Mountain Loop Highway on 6/30 I'm thinking I'll do one more 60 minute hill run on Monday July 3rd. I've been doing a lot of stretching throughout these last ten months and mainly focusing on building endurance. I read Steve House Training for the New Alpinism which gave me good insight on training. Thanks for all who responds. .. This will be an amazing trip.

Vesper Peak
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Scramblin Rover

Scramblin Rover
PostFri Jun 30, 2023 7:35 pm 
I don't expect you'll have any problem with your Baker climb, especially in light of how your Camp Muir trip went. My main reaction to your training is that next time you should consider going on more hikes. Climbing mountains, especially with a backpack on, is in my opinion the most effective way to gain mountain-climbing fitness, and there are low-altitude areas like the Issaquah Alps that stay mostly snow-free through the winter. That being said, I am hardly a training expert, so I'd be curious what others have to say.

peter707

peter707
PostFri Jun 30, 2023 8:29 pm 
If you maintain situational awareness and take efficient breaks, you are unlikely to be turned due to fitness. This is what situational awareness looks like: a) don't trip b) don't step on the rope c) don't fall d) nod head / acknowledge / respond when guide tells the group something This is what an efficient break looks like - the guide should not have to tell you to do these: a) sit down. put on jacket. b) put on sunscreen c) eat snack d) drink water e) take off jacket once it's time to go If you are getting to Muir within 5 hours w/ a 30lb pack, without exhaustion you are 100% ok for 3-day Baker. If you were out-of-your-mind tired with zero pack and still took 5 hours to muir, summit day will be hard but you still have a good shot if you eat enough calories as you go.
Code:
Trip Profile DAY ROUTE SEGMENT ELEVATION CHANGE(FT.) HOURS MILES PACK WEIGHT (LBS) 1 Schriebers Meadow – Sandy Camp 2,775 ↑ 3.5-5 3.75 35 2 Sandy Camp to Mt Baker Summit 4,680 ↑ 5-7 3 15 Summit to Sandy Camp 4,680 ↓ 4-6 3 15 3 Sandy Camp to Parking Lot 2,775 ↓ 2.5-4 3.75 30 Please note- Climbers must be able to climb at a rate of 1,000 vertical feet per hour. Those who are unable to maintain this pace on Day 1 to camp may not be permitted to attempt the summit on the final day.

Riverside Laker
peter707

peter707
PostFri Jun 30, 2023 9:10 pm 
Three Four other tips: 1) Do at least one long day - think 5,000 vertical ft in a day. You pretty much did this with Muir but one more can't hurt. Edit: Didn't see it's within a week. Randito is right, a long day would be counterproductive. 2) In addition to solid food, add liquid calories. 3L of water with 300 calories/liter is an extra 900 calories for 'free' (free as in, fast to eat and easy on the stomach) on summit day. Liquid drink mixes (with calories + electrolytes) are just unreasonably effective for anything longer than 2 hours. This hasn't really caught on for mountaineers like it has for cyclists / trailrunners but it's highly effective. 2b) While it's possible to overdo this, i've tried increasing liquid calories to the max, I got to 2,100calories of tailwind in one day before it started to be a problem. About 1400 liquid calories per day is the sweet spot for a 160lb person, i found. 3) Eat extra between day 1 and day 2. if you are trying to lose weight, pause during the trip. 4) This goes without saying but don't carry random heavy items... I know someone that took 6.5 hours to get to camp muir because they were carrying 60lb of random unnecessary stuff... the guides told them to leave 99% of it at muir and they still summited Rainier even though they were well below the required speed to Muir.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Jun 30, 2023 9:21 pm 
The coaching I received back in my racing days was to peak training intensity 3-4 weeks before a major event, tapering off and doing only very light, low intensity workouts in week before. This allows you to be in a well rested and recovered state for the big day.

Seattle_Wayne

Seattle_Wayne
PostSat Jul 01, 2023 9:09 am 
Thanks for everyone's response. I really appreciate it.

Vesper Peak
contour5

contour5
PostSat Jul 01, 2023 9:40 am 
Sounds like you got it wired. Here’s wishing you some good weather for the trip.

pimaCanyon

pimaCanyon
PostTue Jul 04, 2023 3:01 pm 
your training looks to have been very thorough, should be in great shape for the climb. The one unknown is how altitude might affect you. You didn't say how long the trip will have you on the summit. My own experience with altitude is that it hits me pretty hard at 9,000 feet, and is noticeable on exertion at 7,000. If this is your first ascent of a peak above 9,000, you'll gain experience of how that altitude affects your body and can use that for planning future trips. The only training for altitude that works is spending time at altitude prior to your trips. "Time" means right before the trip. The rule is one day per thousand feet of elevation to become fully acclimatized, but I've found that a couple of days at 7,000, then a couple more days at 9,000 prepares me well for spending time at 11,000 to 12,000 feet in Colorado. Note that you adapt pretty quickly on the way up, but you lose it quickly going back down, so spending time at altitude say a week or two before the trip is not likely to have any benefit. If you're going to try to acclimatize to higher altitude, you need to do it on the days directly preceding the trip. That said, I suspect the 10,700 top altitude of Baker will not be high enough to seriously mess with you, especially if the trip has you on the summit for just an hour or so. Good luck and enjoy the climb. It's spectacular up there!

It's never too late to have a happy childhood
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostTue Jul 04, 2023 4:11 pm 
Seattle_Wayne wrote:
I'm heading up with Alpine Ascents July 7-9th. I've been training for ten months.
1 - Be sure, VERY sure, that the boots you'll be wearing fit, and that they don't rub/pinch anywhere. 1b - Take 'Glacier Gel' packs with you to deal with blisters, and deal with them early on. 2 - Wear lightweight (and again, well fitting) shoes up to base camp. 3 - Write a trip report when you return. You'll do well, I'm sure.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology

RichP
Seattle_Wayne

Seattle_Wayne
PostWed Jul 05, 2023 6:48 pm 
Boots feel good. I used them up to Camp Muir- zero hot spots. I have the super feet in soles in them. Thanks for all the additional info. Should be a great trip. smile.gif

Vesper Peak