Forum Index > Trail Talk > South Creek Trail now blocked by private landowner
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostFri May 14, 2021 5:49 pm 
The South Creek Trail near Twisp/Chelan Sawtooth area has been blocked 2.5 miles up from the trailhead by a private landowner. See this flyer. Apparently the landowner has placed a game camera at the closure site. Voice your displeasure to the USFS: 509-996-4000.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat May 15, 2021 11:04 am 
free game camera!

Brian R

Brian R
PostSat May 15, 2021 2:30 pm 
Randito wrote:
free game camera!
Seriously? I think what you are proposing is called theft.

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSat May 15, 2021 3:24 pm 
Well gee, fourteen410, looks like you're the messenger of bad news again, (referring to your post a couple years ago about the Mountain Home property being shut off). biggrin.gif I hope this dispute can reach a peaceful agreement regarding an historical use easement, but one never knows. The aerial imagery shows that it's only a few hundred yards here and there to cross, but some maps show a couple mines upslope FWIW, so that might be the owner's concern. https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=48.42667,-120.57787&z=17&b=n&a=sma

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
jackchinook

jackchinook
PostSat May 15, 2021 6:32 pm 
It sounds like the Forest Service should stop maintaining the 2.5 mile access trail to their private involding in Wilderness. Seriously though, I don't want that to happen...and agree with GO&G that hopefully there's a reasonable solution to this. This is a popular trail, leading to Lake Chelan and lots of cool nooks and crannies around South Pass. Surely there's some kind of long-standing existing use of this trail that can help keep it open? It's been a public trail since at least the 1930s.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSat May 15, 2021 7:18 pm 
jackchinook wrote:
It sounds like the Forest Service should stop maintaining the 2.5 mile access trail to their private involding in Wilderness.
Exactly - it goes both ways. According to a WTA trip report, the trail crosses the land for a quarter mile. Getting around it would require some rough bushwhacking and a creek crossing (to the south) or substantial elevation gain (to the north). I wonder how much of a priority this is for the forest service.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat May 15, 2021 7:32 pm 
The first two miles is needed to access Louis lake. Yes, call the FS. With enough advocates, the FS might decide a couple of bridges and a short section of trail is worth it. It doesn’t seem right to just abandon the trail. Or wait ten years to do something about it.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat May 15, 2021 10:31 pm 
My supposition is that the land owner installing a gate has nothing to do with working their mining claim or protecting any infrastructure on their claim. I think by denying the public from using the established trail, which certainly constitutes an easement, they are just trying to up the price for getting the USFS or the Trust For Public Land, etc to buy them out.

altasnob

altasnob
PostSun May 16, 2021 7:27 am 
Another thread with a bit more info on the private in holding on the South Creek Trail: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8032761 I wonder why the property owner changed their mind on public use? The Forest Service may try to negotiate with the landowner, but is their any precedent for the Forest Service to try to sue the landowner to get a public easement? I can't think of an example of the Forest Service ever spending their money on something like that. Maybe the Nature Conservancy or other private land conservation non-profit would be interested in purchasing an easement through this property. The Methow Valley is filled with very wealthy people. Maybe they can all chip in and pay the property owner to allow access again? It doesn't make sense for the Forest Service to abandon maintenance of the trail to the closure since the same trail leads to trail #428, which is still open.

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostSun May 16, 2021 9:31 am 
altasnob wrote:
I wonder why the property owner changed their mind on public use? The Forest Service may try to negotiate with the landowner, but is their any precedent for the Forest Service to try to sue the landowner to get a public easement? I can't think of an example of the Forest Service ever spending their money on something like that.
There is a whole lot of backstory to this case…..parcel owned by long time Methow Valley family. As for FS gaining an easement - I know there are cases where the FS has pursued and won ‘prescriptive easement’ types of road access cases in Court - but they are rare. I think there needs to be considerable outside push on the agency to make that happen, but it would seem to be the best angle.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSun May 16, 2021 1:28 pm 
altasnob wrote:
Another thread with a bit more info on the private in holding on the South Creek Trail: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8032761
Thanks, I somehow missed that. As jinx'sboy mentioned in that thread, there doesn't seem to be any info on the county assessor's website. I looked up the mine patent but there wasn't any indication of ownership there for some reason. I'm curious why the owner suddenly revoked public access last fall. It doesn't seem like a place with crowd/vandalism issues, especially after the fires. There's a place out by Blewett where a landowner put up no trespassing signs on a nearby public USFS road. He allegedly defends "his" land with threats of violence. Hopefully this isn't a similar situation.

jaysway

jaysway
PostSun May 16, 2021 1:36 pm 
Just curious, would this be the Forest Service suing to create an easement, or enforce an existing easement?

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun May 16, 2021 8:59 pm 
altasnob wrote:
I can't think of an example of the Forest Service ever spending their money on something like that.
I was under the impression that the USFS came to some sort of arrangement with the inholders of the claims in the Chain Lakes area North of Williams lake in the upper reaches of the Middle Fork Snoquamlie as part of the USFS no longer maintaining road #56 past Dingford In any event the Chain Lakes claims no longer are shown here: https://mrdata.usgs.gov/mine-claim/map-us.html

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon May 17, 2021 7:55 am 
If it were a hiker-only trail west of the crest, re-gaining easement probably wouldn’t have a chance. Mt. Higgins is one example. DNR doesn’t have the capacity to patrol the road and trail head, and the creeps going up there target practicing and dumping junk finally wore out the landowner’s patience and they installed a gate across the road, and who can blame them? With South Creek – it’s horse & hunting country, isn't it? That is potentially a saver here. Those folks aren’t going to just let this go – unless enough of them have a side-deal with the landowner for access; which is probably illegal, but who is going to do anything about it. But who knows; the land owner’s issue might be the equestrians. Hard to know, not knowing. There was some other landowner easement issue down around the south side of Mt St Helen’s. I can’t recall what that was all about or how it turned out. I know this isn’t a fantastic contribution of knowledge, but it was a biggish deal at the time and perhaps someone might remember….? It was about 2010 or later….?

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Hutch

Hutch
PostMon May 17, 2021 9:44 am 
South Pass/Rainbow Ridge/McAlester Lake is all really great public land. This seems untenable.