Forum Index > Gear Talk > Binocular technology primer
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun May 23, 2021 7:33 pm 
I decided that my upcoming X-C roadtrip would be really enhanced if I had a set of good binoculars along. I was totally ignorant about binocular technology, down to "what do the numbers mean?" but I had experience in the past with bad compact binos, and wanted something better - but also to know what to look for, and what you're getting/not getting for the huge price range. Google served up a great informational website run by a fellow in the UK: https://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/guides/what-to-look-for-when-buying-binoculars.php His website is HUGE - he goes into great detail about all aspects of binoculars, not just the optics. There are articles and videos about construction, features, pros/cons, best values for the price in different price brackets. He's a prolific reviewer of all kinds of brands, and does annual "Best Binos" reviews. Makes recommendations for best size/configuration depending on whether you want them for birding, hunting, general use, etc. After a little over an hour of reading, I was definitely educated and ready to shop. Highly recommend.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mike

mike
PostSun May 23, 2021 8:58 pm 
I've found that the most important number is "eye relief". 15mm absolute minimum. 16-17 up is better. For ease of use, quickly acquiring focus, non-tiring over time, use with glasses etc. gotta have it.

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostMon May 24, 2021 8:48 am 
With regard to magnification, don't assume more is better. Tailor for your needs, and realize that higher magnification makes image stabilization challenging.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon May 24, 2021 7:03 pm 
I got my mom a set of image stabilized binoculars years ago. She loves them, favorite pair she's ever had. I think that others are optically better but in real world causal use the stabilization was appreciated.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostTue May 25, 2021 6:46 am 
years ago in the navy we were using experimental stabilized binos,, since the horizon at sea is 25 miles clarity was not a problem

Franco

Franco
PostFri May 28, 2021 2:36 am 
OK , I did not read it but when someone starts with : So you have decided to purchase a pair of binoculars, but where do you start? puts me off because a pair of binoculars really means two binoculars. Bino = two Ocular= well I think we all know. Bino is the prefix often shortened to bi , as in bicycle, bilingual, bifocal and so on... Monocular on the other hand means ONE ocular , just as mono does in monocycle and the rest. (sorry, it's a pet peeve of mine...and I sold binos for a living)

Franco

Franco
PostFri May 28, 2021 7:44 pm 
The commonest mistakes I see when people use binoculars are Not setting the difference between one eye and the other (very few people have exactly the same vision from both at 8 or 10 time magnification) Not opening or closing the two barrells to get the a perfect circle (no, you are not meant to see two circles as they show in the movies) Wearing glasses (prescription or sunglasses) without folding or pushingthe eyecaps back.