Forum Index > Gear Talk > Glacier glasses with a natural lens tint
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jumble Jowls

Jumble Jowls
PostFri Jun 04, 2021 4:54 pm 
I'm looking for polarized glacier glasses with a natural lens tint. By that I mean a lens that doesn't change the colors of the surroundings. It's what you often find in drugstore sunglasses. It darkens the environment and reduces glare, but doesn't change the colors you see. What do you call this tint? Last year I bought the Julbo Explorer 2.0. It had all kinds of amazing features. The lens looked kind of natural on the website, not rose or shocking blue or other weird shades that you often find on ski goggles. https://www.julbo.com/en_us/explorer-2-0 Yet the "amber" lens coated everything in a yellowish tint. Not natural at all. I have a couple of replacement candidates. The first is described as crystal gray, but looks blue. The second looks natural, but of course you won't know until they arrive. https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/biking/sport-sunglasses/native-eyewear-wells https://tinyurl.com/2hkf7ez6 Comments?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jun 04, 2021 5:50 pm 
There is no such thing as natural tint the term you are looking for is neutral tint. Lots of photographers here who know all about this. Natural light can have different temperatures according to weather and time of day from the warm colors of alpenglow to white hot tropical sunshine. The angle of sun and dust have a major effect. Yellow is used because haze is largest on the blue end. Same thing for ski goggles.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostFri Jun 04, 2021 6:12 pm 
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostFri Jun 04, 2021 6:48 pm 
We got prescription glacier glasses from Opticus. Mine are disappointingly red tinted -- not strong but it's there. Other than that they are great. Ree has transition lenses which have a slight yellow cast. The nice thing is they really know snow travel, unlike most eyeglass shops. But perhaps you don't need prescription lenses.

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostSat Jun 05, 2021 6:33 pm 
Opticus has many lense choices. I've always had great service.

Jumble Jowls

Jumble Jowls
PostSat Jun 05, 2021 9:29 pm 
From Smith Optics: "Gray lens tint provides true color perception for exact color definition." Come to think of it, I have a pair of Smith goggles with a gray lens, and it's just like that. So I guess that's it.