Forum Index > Gear Talk > Inexpensive "Amazon" tent
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Downhill

Downhill
PostTue Jun 22, 2021 6:55 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Are you opposed to one person tents? Will she take good care of it? Is hiking something you think she'll do the rest of her life?
* She will need a 2-person tent because most of her overnight trips will be with another person. * She takes immaculate care of everything she has. * She has been hiking with me since she was born and gets out frequently with her friends and a few times a year with me. She has been investing in her kit - her own tent is her last major investment.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostFri Jul 09, 2021 12:17 pm 
My daughter bought a BD "beta light" that is a silnylon single wall tent with no floor. It was cheap, light weight, plenty of room for two, and once she added a kite grade Tyvek "footprint" it worked well. The only issue was bug protection because when you need ventilation you stake it higher which lets the bugs in. She eventually bought a "Bug Light" to make it into a two wall tent but the bug light is heavy and really more than she needed which was really just a short band of bug netting attached to the lower section of the tent. Fast-forward to 2021 and BD has updated the Beta Light to sil-poly with a durable band of bug-netting sewn along the bottom edge. Exactly what she was looking for. It might be a bit more than she wants to pay but I have seen it twice now at Campsavor for $202. For a durable sil-poly, 1lb 7oz, roomy tent that strikes me as a bargain. My daughter figured eventually she would have the $$ to buy a quality light weight 2 wall tent but would use the Beta Light in shoulder seasons as an ultralight option when the bugs were gone.

Downhill
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message