Forum Index > Trip Reports > Bonanza queen mine
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jimbo

Jimbo
PostThu Jun 17, 2021 8:59 am 
I heard the St. Louis is going to be closed so get on it. It's a cool one.

Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Jun 17, 2021 11:03 am 
We were just there yesterday but only to the upper adits...I have been in the main St Louis 3 times, last time we took the left branch tunnel to a spot where it narrows and has collapsing timbers. I assume they are going to close it because of safety reasons? Looks like in the past they had a steel door at the entrance that they could lock. About 4 years ago there was a guy staying at the TH all summer who I assume had a lease to operate the mine, he put in a couple of foot bridges. Haven't seen him around since the road washed out, wonder if he still holds the lease?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Jimbo

Jimbo
PostFri Jun 18, 2021 1:02 pm 
I've been to the end. I think he gave up his rights

Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Jun 19, 2021 6:06 pm 
Tried to get to the Independence and Imperial mines via the Silverton side, the book I have that was last published in 2008 says to drive forward on Whitton Ave to the road end and pick up the trail west of here. The book must be out of date because if you drive straight in you come to a sign that reads "County Road Ends"....then it's private property and no trespassing. The book said to park at the roads end and that you will be on public property the entire way. confused.gif We did find one of the Lucky Strike prospect mines just to the west of the Dick Sperry.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Jake

Jake
PostSat Jun 19, 2021 6:15 pm 
Yes, the book is out of date. The county abandon the road past the present gate on Whitton Avenue sometime after the book was written. The road easement was returned to the property owners on the other side of the gate. Check the property owners information through the county assessor's office web-site and contact them for permission to cross their property. The mines are on forest service property.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Jun 19, 2021 6:21 pm 
Maybe when the river flow is lower we can cross at some point to try to pick up the old trail? Another question.We have also been trying find the HooDoo mine up by Big 4. The book directions to that seem a bit odd. Have you been there or know how to? I really appreciate all the info you guys are providing. up.gif

Jake

Jake
PostSat Jun 19, 2021 6:38 pm 
Yes, you can go in the back door around the private property. I have never gone in that way, but it is possible. Which side of town would be your choice. I would strongly suggest finding the property owners information and go in that way. That's a cake walk up the trail. But it could be rugged going around the town. Getting to the Hoo Doo can be a little more challenging because of logging debris on the slope. If I recall without looking in the book again, I said to cross the bridge at Big Four and walk the river back west to a small creek and follow it upstream to the waterfall and then climb the hillside on the right to the old surface tram and follow that to the mine. That's about the best information I can give you. However, I think the Big Four bridge is out of commission now. You'd have to check on that or wade the river west of the bridge. Just stay out of the gulch the creek is in above the falls of that small creek. Going up the floor of that gulch will put you below the mine. That tram can be a little scarry in places if height bothers you. I hope that helps.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Jun 20, 2021 5:47 pm 
Just reading about the 45 mine up over Marble Pass, sounds pretty cool, old artifacts and long tunnels. The book I have gave directions from Sultan, and I imagine the old road is impassable and at the end there is a steep gulley crossing. It says when the Monte Cristo RR was operating, they moved ore via a tramway down and over Marble Pass to Silverton, a distance of about 3 miles. I have read reports in the past on here of attempting a route over Marble Pass (some flagging placed, not sure how recently) anyone here ever attempt that route and access the mine that way?

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Jun 20, 2021 6:31 pm 
I had a friend who went up there and retrieved some ore from under the supports back in the 80’s.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Jun 20, 2021 7:02 pm 
If he is a friend of yours I assume he was/is hardcore? Do you recall if he mentioned how difficult it was? I am thinking at least 2 miles of probably brutal brush bashing and then steep elevation gain for the last mile.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Jun 20, 2021 8:54 pm 
He was with us on our picket traverse so pretty hardcore. It was pretty much as you describe a long steep bushwhacked. No noticeable trail that was other than game trails.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
H. Hound

H. Hound
PostMon Jun 21, 2021 5:30 am 
The .45 - Don't know what the condition of the trail up and over Marble Pass is like these days, but that's how a few people I know got there. HooDoo - stay to the right of the creek, until you hit the wagon road (it's narrow).

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jun 23, 2021 7:29 pm 
H. Hound wrote:
HooDoo - stay to the right of the creek, until you hit the wagon road (it's narrow).
Tried to find the HooDoo today, crossed the Stilly just below the washed out Ice Caves bridge, was a bit sketchy-swift but only about upper thigh deep at the worst. Saw a your woman carrying a toddler who almost lost it, got too far downstream in the faster water. One couple brought a baby and 3 dogs across, saw about a dozen people on the ice caves trail, no bridge, no problem. Anyway, the book says to go downstream about 1/3 of a mile to the creek that leads to the waterfall and then the HooDoo....went quite a ways down and didn't see it and didn't feel like going over blow downs and devils club to try to get to it. I think the book is FOS with their 1/3 mile crap. Probably try it again when the river is super low so we can criss-cross to avoid the heavy vegetation.

Jake

Jake
PostWed Jun 23, 2021 7:45 pm 
It's not that hard to find. The mouth of the creek is at: N48°4.030’ W121°31.296’. Copy and paste that into Acmemapper.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jun 23, 2021 7:50 pm 
There is the large creek that flows into the Stilly at the bridge, went downstream quite a ways but saw no sign of any other creek and could not see further around the bend in the river. Will try with those co-ordinates. Thanks.