Forum Index > Trip Reports > Thorp Lake with Backpacker Joe
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostSat Jun 19, 2021 7:35 pm 
I had the pleasure of hiking with Backpacker Joe today. We started off by having to ford a fast flowing creek. The trail had a surprising amount of snow on it as well as a lot of running water, numerous creek crossings and some downed trees. Politics were verboten and he was pretty well behaved in that regard😂🤣😊. In other words, I survived the trip despite being from Seattle! I have not figured out the Flickr thing so the photos are not in chronological order and I have duplicates.

Frango, Mesahchie Mark, lopper, ChrisSJI, zimmertr, awilsondc, JimK, rubywrangler, jaysway, sooperfly, Dave Weyrick, RichP, Bushwacker, Sculpin, reststep, Alpine Pedestrian, Nancyann, neek, runup, GaliWalker, Tom
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSat Jun 19, 2021 8:50 pm 
Awesome! tongue.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
ree

ree
PostSat Jun 19, 2021 8:55 pm 
Thank you. So glad to see an old friend having fun out there. wub.gif

Chief Joseph
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Jun 19, 2021 9:11 pm 
BPJ and Roly-Poly - Bravo! Hope this outing encourages you to try more, Tom. Cle Elum was the first stop on my big XC driving trek to NY; met up with Roly-Poly and BPJ at his homestead outside of town for a Mexican take-out lunch. A beautiful, restful hideaway. Thanks again for the great food and Gemütlichkeit!

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSat Jun 19, 2021 9:24 pm 
Well, this is absolutely fantastic! It looks like he gets around pretty darn good, especially on the water crossings. up.gif Glad you two got the politics thing worked out and had a fun day, hope to see more BPJ trip reports soon!

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Jun 19, 2021 10:04 pm 
Wow. Such a beautiful day out there. Looks like you all had a great time. ~z

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jun 20, 2021 7:15 am 
Thanks to Roly for chamfering me around. LOL. It sucks not being able to drive. It was so nice to get out again. It surprised me how many people that were at the trailhead. I think Covid may have changed things. While I look like a big fat guy, Ive actually been hiking 4 miles a day six days a week around my neighborhood, Peoh Point. Each day includes 1100' ele gain, so Im in pretty good shape. I did snow down a little as we neared the lake. I wasnt drinking enough water. All in all a wonderful day in the woods. Thanks again to Roly for her kindness. Oh, and we DID avoid politics. LOL.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln

runup, Malachai Constant, sooperfly, Bushwacker, reststep
Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostSun Jun 20, 2021 8:44 am 
Outstanding!!!!!!!!! dance.gif

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu
RichP

RichP
PostSun Jun 20, 2021 9:05 am 
up.gif up.gif

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Jun 21, 2021 2:28 pm 
Well, I went up there yesterday afternoon on a late start hike. I met three parties finishing or coming down as I went up. Lots of creek crossings on that hike. Devil's Club was on hand for some of the critical crossing points. I did not have any GPS, etc. So I just consulted my map and did terrain association. Things seemed pretty straightforward until I neared the trail to the lake. At a certain point I was sure that I had passed it up and then kept going for awhile to be sure. The trail got steeper and then completely covered by the snow-pack. At that point, with the sun going down soon and being the last one on the trail I headed back down hoping to see the lake exit. I did encounter a square reflector on a tree along with a steel fence post sticking out of the snow. I tried following that direction, the woods were fairly open, but there was no trail leading down. Two other landmarks were a large open rock outcrop with views to east through the creek valley and there was a tree stump carved into a throne off the side at one point. BPJ, were there any signs marking the trail to the lake? Surely that trail to the lake would be pronounced and obvious. Perhaps I just didn't quite make it far enough. If I had started in the morning and had all day, I could have explored more. Thanks, ~z

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jun 21, 2021 7:03 pm 
Zeph, yes there is. About 75 yards past where the snow covered the ground there is a sign on the left describing the direction of the lookout and the direction of the lake. Im sorry because you were about a tenth of a mile from the lake. You were five minutes from the lake. Here is that sign.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Jun 21, 2021 9:45 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Im sorry because you were about a tenth of a mile from the lake. You were five minutes from the lake.
Well, for Heaven's sake. Aaarghhh! The forest was so open that I could see the lake basin through the trees. At the point of turnaround I thought I had pushed on past the turn. Would have been nice to see. The photos look terrific. I guess I'll have to go back in the fall. Start earlier and attain the lookout as well hopefully. Next time I am putting on water shoes/Tevas at the truck and then putting my boots on across the creek. Not doing that barefooted shuffle through the rocks again. haha Thanks for the photo and the follow-up BPJ. It's funny, I recognized all those crossing points that RolyPoly captured. So many creeks coming off that ridge. Nice Trillium and Vanilla Leaf along the trail. The drive back along the road was scenic with all the Ceanothus velutinus in bloom too. ~z

timberghost

timberghost
PostTue Jun 22, 2021 5:52 am 
Way to get out there guys!! Good to hear Tom is still stretching his legs up.gif up.gif

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostFri Jun 25, 2021 12:38 pm 
Awesome to see BPJ getting out there.

contour5
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSat Jun 26, 2021 10:13 am 
Instead of the barefoot rock hop next time you could give stream defenders a try. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7967824