Forum Index > Trail Talk > Cairns are no longer
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jaysway

jaysway
PostTue Jun 29, 2021 9:04 am 
Yes, I kick down carins wherever I see them. If people get lost as a result of that, well those people did not deserve to be in that place and they deserve what happens to them if they get lost. That's just how it works. I also remove flagging tape for the same season, people should be able to navigate themselves and if they can't, they need to get out of the woods because they don't belong. What it comes down to is that I should be the one deciding how much skill and preparedness people should have in order to deserve to hike in my wilderness. To take it one step further, when people ask me for directions on trails, I always point them in the wrong direction. If they can't figure out that I gave them bad directions, then "see you later" because you shouldn't have been there in the first place. I also get very uncomfortable in the wilderness when I see people that don't look like they belong (code for don't look like me if you know what I mean wink.gif ). /s

Jake Dogfish, zimmertr  rubywrangler
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Jun 29, 2021 9:32 am 
iRemeberToby wrote:
I kick down carins wherever I see them. If people get lost as a result of that, well those people did not deserve to be in that place and they deserve what happens to them if they get lost. That's just how it works. I also remove flagging tape for the same season, people should be able to navigate themselves and if they can't, they need to get out of the woods because they don't belong.
This is just ridiculous extremism. Bona fide route markers have their place. They've been part of hiking for decades. They often keep people from making multiple paths, contributing to erosion. I recall my first-ever hike to Lake Constance. On some of those more rooty, steep sections, there were small red metal "flags" hammered into trees. I'm pretty sure the hikers and climbers didn't install them. Anyone who objects to "main route" cairns should in principle be objecting to any created/enhanced trails at all. Come on. "Artsy" cairns that people erect in random places just to indicate they were there; different story. As for "people who don't deserve" to be somewhere, I reserve that sentiment for all the vulgarians who do deliberate defacement: marking trees, bridges, rocks, etc with graffiti, making fires where they shouldn't, leaving litter all over the place. One season I spotted macaroni in Lake Constance. It's probably still there. huh.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jun 29, 2021 9:42 am 
Beware. Some "cairns" are archeological sites. Just going around kicking what happens to offend you over is stupid. Also, once again, don't tear down flagging where ever you want in the woods. Flagging is used to mark plots, ways in to fires, road r/w, contractor work, trail work, timber sale boundaries, etc. In fact, there's probably more flagging used for those activities than the marking of a random path by a hiker. Think a bit about why such things are there before destroying them.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

Navy salad
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Jun 29, 2021 10:36 am 
The original purpose of cairns was religious by the way.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostTue Jun 29, 2021 10:41 am 
Anne Elk wrote:
iRemeberToby wrote:
I kick down carins wherever I see them. If people get lost as a result of that, well those people did not deserve to be in that place and they deserve what happens to them if they get lost. That's just how it works. I also remove flagging tape for the same season, people should be able to navigate themselves and if they can't, they need to get out of the woods because they don't belong.
This is just ridiculous extremism. Bona fide route markers have their place. They've been part of hiking for decades. They often keep people from making multiple paths, contributing to erosion. I recall my first-ever hike to Lake Constance. On some of those more rooty, steep sections, there were small red metal "flags" hammered into trees. I'm pretty sure the hikers and climbers didn't install them. Anyone who objects to "main route" cairns should in principle be objecting to any created/enhanced trails at all. Come on. "Artsy" cairns that people erect in random places just to indicate they were there; different story. As for "people who don't deserve" to be somewhere, I reserve that sentiment for all the vulgarians who do deliberate defacement: marking trees, bridges, rocks, etc with graffiti, making fires where they shouldn't, leaving litter all over the place. One season I spotted macaroni in Lake Constance. It's probably still there. huh.gif
Way down DEEP at the end of their post was a `/s` which indicates they were being sarcastic smile.gif
Cyclopath wrote:
The original purpose of cairns was religious by the way.
The world is a huge and diverse place and the roots of civilization and culture stem from many different places. I'm sure cairns were used for religion often, especially to mark burial sites. But I would bet that early humans used them just as much for navigation and landmarks. Just like how the Native Americans bent trees to mark routes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trail_trees Uh oh... probably shouldn't have brought that up. Now we might have an onslaught of people cutting down these marker trees to maintain the purity of the forest wink.gif

Flickr | Strava

jaysway
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Jun 29, 2021 11:21 am 
^^^ There used to be a cedar along the loop trail (south section) in Discovery Park (Seattle) that looked exactly like the tree in the Wikipedia entry, but smaller scale. Then I walked the trail after some years' absence, and it was gone. I'm sure Seattle Parks & Recreation had no idea. They seem to have been on a tree-cutting binge these years, anything that seems even remotely hazardous comes down. Covering their behinds, I suppose, after that fatality a few years ago in, I think, Seward Park, after a windstorm. Then there's this mystery. eek.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
neek

neek
PostTue Jun 29, 2021 11:50 am 
For anyone truly interested in the history of cairns, there's a book on the subject, although the writing quality is so bad I couldn't get through it.

Jake Dogfish

Jake Dogfish
PostTue Jun 29, 2021 12:02 pm 
I never knew cairns served a purpose until reading this site. I thought people just got bored and piled up some rocks. Now I know when people get bored they make posts about cairns.

mosey, rossb, zimmertr  neek, Riverside Laker
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Jun 29, 2021 1:35 pm 
Jake Dogfish wrote:
I never knew cairns served a purpose until reading this site.
This site exists because of cairns! I'll try to find the story and post it. Unless someone else wants to !

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert

rossb
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue Jun 29, 2021 1:53 pm 
Cairns have value when leaving a brush clogged valley to cross or traverse a boulder field or slabby area at the historical safest / best place. Or vice versa, leaving a boulder field and hitting the brushy valley route approximately right. In those cases a GPS or topo lines are not much use unless someone has given you a track ahead of time.

Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Jun 29, 2021 2:21 pm 
cairns also "start" a trail instead of creating "multiple" trails. True. I have been in several areas of Utah, where I do believe if there were cairns, there wouldn't be so many "side" trails into areas. People are going to go where they are going to go. Its kinda weird seeing multiple side trails in these areas of Utah where none need to be. I figure the same would be true in the Alpine areas of the Cascades. One off trail is fine. Multiple...maybe not so. The trips into McMillan Spire was started with cairns.....now there is one trail. I wonder what would have happened if there were no cairns in that alpine environment. And now since there is a trail there in that vegetative area, maybe a cairn is not useful. I think we be all splitting hairs here.

Art is an adventure.

jaysway
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jun 29, 2021 2:29 pm 
The dumbest case of "environmental flagging removal" I've heard of was someone ripping out flagging placed by an active SAR operation in Commonwealth Basin to guide the rest of the crew into the patient. The problem with cairns for navigational purposes is that you don't know whether the cairn builder was lost or whether they as headed to the same objective. IME areas where "art" cairns are being built also have a pretty good boot path beaten into the earth or worn into the lichens on talus, so cairns marking the way are somewhat redundant.

Navy salad
FiveNines

FiveNines
PostTue Jun 29, 2021 2:36 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
We've condemned red lines on maps, sharing GPS data, tagging photos on social media, Instagram in general, detailed trip reports on secret places, etc. Heck, some have even decried guidebooks. But people going out and marking up the landscape of supposedly off trail routes is OK.
Poor comparison. Every example above is a one to many source of communication. Easily available to anyone with an internet connection in the comfort of their own home. Providing ideas and information to people who hadn't thought of them. Except cairns. Cairns communicate only to people in the field. People who already had an idea, figured out how to execute it, and made the effort to get there. The amount of impact caused by cairns vs electronic media is 3 to 5 orders of magnitude different. Personally I topple most cairns. Except obviously useful cairns. Like at the end of a meadow crossing or boulder field or crucial landmark. Most cairns I see are obviously not useful. CJ likes opening post and Stefan posts. I don't understand?

Bedivere
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jun 29, 2021 3:02 pm 
I agree with the OP that “if you depend upon cairns for navigation, you are a fool”. I also feel that in certain places they can be helpful, but not necessary. I just don’t see a stack of rocks being a big issue in any case and I never waste the energy to either build one or topple one.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jun 29, 2021 3:18 pm 
In slick rock country the rangers use cairns to mark the preferred route over rock. If novices try to find their own route the often tread on cryptogamic soil which takes century’s to form and is destroyed by a single footprint or bike tread. In Washington they are seldom needed unless there is a hidden key ledge or the like. Some areas such as the summit of the Brothers are filled with “lost hiker” cairns that are impossible to differentiate from legitimate ones. As others mentioned search parties sometimes leave them to show where they have already looked.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn