Forum Index > Trail Talk > Cairns are no longer
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hapemask

hapemask
PostThu Sep 30, 2021 9:53 pm 
neek wrote:
Yeah, don't get me started on the recent blazing of the old Kamikaze trail.
Are those recent? I remember reading somewhere that the blazes were placed back when it was a maintained trail, but I first hiked it a year or two ago when it was no longer maintained (and did see the blazes) and I don’t have any first-hand knowledge here. Do you mean the black diamonds burned/cut into the bark or is this something new?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Sep 30, 2021 11:11 pm 
I don't mind seeing rocks when I hike.

Chief Joseph
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Sep 30, 2021 11:27 pm 
What if a rock rolls downhill and lands on top of another rock, do the "Purists" still feel the need to kick it over? Some people just like to kick rocks or maybe someone told them to and they took the comment literally? wink.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostFri Oct 01, 2021 12:12 am 
I think someone’s already claimed the passing rocks and trees like they’re standing still schtick.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostFri Oct 01, 2021 7:07 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
What if a rock rolls downhill and lands on top of another rock
hihi.gif That's what my brother-in-law always says: "Is that a cairn or did that rock on top just stick the landing?

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
neek

neek
PostFri Oct 01, 2021 8:15 am 
hapemask wrote:
Are those recent? I remember reading somewhere that the blazes were placed back when it was a maintained trail, but I first hiked it a year or two ago when it was no longer maintained (and did see the blazes) and I don’t have any first-hand knowledge here. Do you mean the black diamonds burned/cut into the bark or is this something new?
They showed up fresh 3-4 years ago and then were covered a year or two later. So they're less noticeable now, but it was clearly "not a trail" at that point and whoever went to the great effort should have known better.

hapemask
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Oct 01, 2021 8:35 am 
Over on the east side of Priest Lake at the fork in the road to Mt Roothaan and Chimney Rock, the correct way is marked by red paint on the tree....if you ever try to find a TH over there you will see why. There is a veritable maze of roads going every which way, it can literally make your head spin, lol. I know what you are thinking, that with today's technology, GPS, etc, one should have no problem. However, some of us are route finding challenged. dizzy.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Oct 01, 2021 10:30 am 
He's anybody ever considered building animatronic cairns that wave to hikers as they go by?

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Dec 05, 2021 6:44 pm 
They need to get a better dog. The Used Dog was very good at finding and following a snow covered trail. Apparently a lot of stinky feet from all the users could be detected under the snow. He was right on, and unleashed.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
snoqpass

snoqpass
PostSun Dec 05, 2021 8:21 pm 
zimmertr wrote:
rbuzby wrote:
I don't get the fascination some people have with them.
Sometimes they're pretty. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin%27s_lost_expedition#The_Victory_Point_note https://www.historymuseum.ca/blog/a-very-special-piece-of-paper/ Or historically relevant.
Picking rocks up and moving them around in small streams or rivers and monkeying with aquatic habitat just so someone can feel soulful regardless of the impacts is kinda lame

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Dec 06, 2021 6:12 am 
snoqpass wrote:
Picking rocks up and moving them around in small streams or rivers and monkeying with aquatic habitat just so someone can feel soulful regardless of the impacts is kinda lame
Outdoorsy kids have always messed with rocks in water and I imagine the native kids did the same. We were often trying to make a dam to raise the water level so we could swim. We never were successful. All this in creeks where annual floods moved a heck of a lot more rocks than we ever could. No fun allowed in the brave new world?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

reststep
snoqpass

snoqpass
PostMon Dec 06, 2021 11:49 am 
treeswarper wrote:
snoqpass wrote:
Outdoorsy kids have always messed with rocks in water and I imagine the native kids did the same. We were often trying to make a dam to raise the water level so we could swim. We never were successful. All this in creeks where annual floods moved a heck of a lot more rocks than we ever could. No fun allowed in the brave new world?
Fun is allowed but it shouldn't be at the expense of wildlife and it's habitat https://nativefishsociety.org/news-media/knock-em-down-recreational-rock-dams-pose-a-challenge-to-native-fish?fbclid=IwAR0IFoHCTdIKL69dOJ_24XKB76uw2sEYbayiFqnYl3upEjIApyCdCVN2Ap0 https://writersontherange.org/hands-off-the-rocks/?fbclid=IwAR082bgMx19rw_hQ1je8Ayx0z5ZXPs61q_5lyGjNnPdWKya3R-mujrnH9LA https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/fish-wildlife-warns-against-building-dams-local-rivers/R655HFKRVVAU7FPNPZ6BDYCYYI/?fbclid=IwAR3ADdhJyTn37CA0P6aYhTyAN_SLX9ViObXX5hafzz_3clCrR57a9mLp9hM

Walkin' Fool, brewermd
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostMon Dec 06, 2021 1:35 pm 
snoqpass wrote:
Fun is allowed but it shouldn't be at the expense of wildlife and it's habitat
No! Every single tent needs its own fire ring up there at Marmot Pass! The meadows be damned. I guess flowers didn't get crushed under foot in 1950 like they do today. Some miracle of physics? Or they just didn't give a crap. not to mention that the population of the USA (and the planet) has nearly (more than) doubled since the '60s when I was kid playing in streams and creeks. So that would equate to twice as many people doing this. The good old days with half as many people on the planet - I guess that is no big deal, double the population has the same impact? Yep, things change - continuously. And we as conscious humans adapt our behavior. And the "misty water colored memories of the way we were" are usually not as grand and glorious as the story teller makes them sound.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
snoqpass

snoqpass
PostMon Dec 06, 2021 1:59 pm 
Hopefully people have learned more about the impacts of their actions since they were a kid plus we have learned a lot more about the environment in the last 50 years, people used to dump cars and appliances in rivers back in the day because few people understood or cared about the effects on the habitat in streams and rivers, even seemingly innocuous actions can have lasting effects. The health of these streams is important for many species to survive and flourish both large and small, many get overlooked because people are narrowly focused on the salmon not realizing the diversity of life in and around the water

Randito, brewermd, RumiDude
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Dec 07, 2021 8:32 am 
You better control the floods then. A heck of a lot of rocks get moved around in rivers. If a salmon can't hop over a kid built dam, the salmon is pretty lame. Ever watched them go over the dam in Tumwater Canyon? During low water flows, salmon are screwed anyway, and the fisheries dept. has not done what really needs to be done-- ban salmon fishing by everybody for a while. You perfect folks need to use some discretion in your condemnations. You can get downright stupid. On a trail crew that I volunteered on a teen was packing out a small bit of wood that he'd chopped off. He was proud of it. What is the harm in that? I guess a hell of a lot to a righteous person, as one person, just another volunteer, insisted he must leave it. It was about three inches in diameter and 18 inches long. A stick. No fun allowed. Ever. It's my opinion that righteous crusading no nothings are ruining the outdoors experience just as much as the vandalizing group. And yes, you can cite papers, and show photos but overall, looking at the big picture, playing with rocks does little harm. Otherwise, the world would have ended some time ago. The original inhabitants moved rocks about, and I fear some idiot is going to dismantle their historical rock piles and ceremonial rock arrangements because the idiot doesn't know or care about history. Concentrate on getting people to bury their poop and poop away from wet areas. That's a more worthy cause.

GC99, reststep, Waterman