Forum Index > Gear Talk > Best 2-3 person shelter using trekking poles
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostMon Oct 18, 2021 12:19 pm 
I don't know if it's the "best", but I'll add another suggestion to the mix. The Big Agnes Scout is UL and uses trekking poles. We've had it in rain and it did fine. Has a layer of mesh near the ground for ventilation. Uses trekking poles to stay up. Ours sleeps 2 comfortably. https://www.rei.com/product/895957/big-agnes-scout-2-tent This is similar to the one we have, which we got at the REI Garage Sale years ago when my kids were younger so the boy could carry his own tent. They have newer models now, I haven't checked those out.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bargainhunter

Bargainhunter
PostMon Oct 18, 2021 5:02 pm 
Big fan of the Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT tarptent. I don't use trekking poles so I made carbon fiber custom poles (material from Quest Outfitters) and replaced the thicker reflective guylines w/ ultralightweight cordage. I think it's discontinued as Mountainsmith has changed ownership but many new old stock are floating around. Staked out it's bomber in severe wind and storms. It's well made with thick stitching and fabric re-enforcement at the stress points, abrasion resistant 40d sil-nylon, etc. The lack of bottom is a plus to cook inside, which is also good for snow camping etc. (but in actual wind driven snow I prefer a double tent to keep out spendrift). It comes in a mustard yellow and a piņon green which is great for stealthy camping in sagebrush and forested environments. It's thick material that withstands abrasion well. I camped in one for 100+ days/nights over a period of two years on the Sierra Eastside through wind, rain, and snow storms. Light enough for one person, great for two, I've even I camped with 4 in it (ok, it was cramped). Best of all, it's inexpensive. Sub-$100 if you shop the deals. No bug protection though. https://mountainsmith.com/products/mountain-shelter-lt Edit: it's still available on the Mountainsmith website.

timberghost

timberghost
PostTue Oct 26, 2021 7:22 am 
Kuiu makes a nice setup

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Oct 26, 2021 11:21 pm 
Most important thing is to make sure it doesn't fall over considering the weak poles et al