Forum Index > Trail Talk > 1922 crowds climbing Mt Adams
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HikingBex

HikingBex
PostThu Jan 13, 2022 10:59 pm 
tweeted out by The Mountaineers earlier today(https://twitter.com/MountaineersOrg/status/1481803260788887552/photo/1) I would've assumed one could find some solitude on Mt Adams in 1922 but I guess not! Looks a lot like I remember during a July climb a couple years ago - at least we have better gear now biggrin.gif

Schroder, zimmertr
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Jan 14, 2022 12:09 am 
By 1922 the USFS had erected a fire lookout on the summit -- it operation was quickly abandoned as fog and low lying clouds interfered with effective fire spotting. In 1930s attempts were made to mine sulfur from the summit area -- a pack trail traversed by mules serviced the mine -- which was never profitable. The last time I climbed Mt Adams, the ranger issuing the permit mentioned that maximum number of permits issued for a single day was over 250 on the South Route -- thankfully the number of permits for our summit day was more in the 50 range.

kiliki

kiliki
PostFri Jan 14, 2022 11:13 am 
Well, the GROUP probably had solitude...it's not like access was easy. Probably nearly everyone that climbed Mt Adams that year with with that group. They appear to have walked to Mt Adams as part of a trip that started around Packwood. You can read about it here. https://www.mountaineers.org/about/history/the-mountaineer-annuals/indexes-annuals-maps/the-mountaineer-1922 The lookout keeper made coffee for 78 people.

zimmertr  HikingBex
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Jan 14, 2022 11:15 am 
HikingBex wrote:
Look what Instagram did to that place!!11!

HikingBex, jaysway, zimmertr
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Jan 14, 2022 11:30 am 
I think the Mountaineers outings in the "olde days" were a factor in the development of the "12 heart beat" or "18 heartbeat" rules in wildreness areas these days. I recall reading an account of a summer outing to Mt Olympus that included "self propelled" food -- they led a cow into the base camp and slaughtered it on site to feed the multitudes.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jan 14, 2022 11:56 am 
There was a lookout on St Helen's also.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Jan 14, 2022 12:41 pm 
Once when I climbed Mt Baker in the 60's via the Coleman, I happened to hit the weekend that both the Mazamas and the Seattle Mountaineers were there. They had a line of at least 300 spaced 60 ft apart.

RodF
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Jan 14, 2022 1:35 pm 
Randito wrote:
I recall reading an account of a summer outing to Mt Olympus that included "self propelled" food -- they led a cow into the base camp and slaughtered it on site to feed the multitudes.
When I took the Wilderness Expedition course at NOLS in 1969 we spent several days prepping in Lander before the courses took off. One of those days Paul Petzoldt led a cow out into the rainy scrub land near our base camp and proceeded to shoot it, bleed it, and dress the meat in front of all the students. We were to imagine it was an elk that had been killed out in the wild. Not my favorite moment of the course, but having grown up on a farm didn't seem too dissimilar. ~z