Forum Index > Trail Talk > How does mosquito repellent work?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSun Jul 25, 2021 1:16 pm 
gb wrote:
I wouldn't have anything against Permethrin on clothing except for the thought of what happens when you sweat heavily, especially on the back and shoulders.
What happens?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Jul 25, 2021 1:19 pm 
I used a floorless tent in the winds and the mozzies still got in even though I clipped my ground cloth to the tent and tucked it in as best I could. No more floorless tent for me. My friendly Swede bug shelter worked great though, best 5 ounces of gear ever and about 20 bucks.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostSun Jul 25, 2021 4:01 pm 
Peppermint?

RatherBOutdoors

RatherBOutdoors
PostSun Jul 25, 2021 8:52 pm 
It turns out that Permethrin is not an insect repellant, but an insecticide. When the bugs land on Permethrin treated fabric, it poisons their nervous system which gets them disoriented and, sometimes, kills them off. I don't know how quickly it works, however, so it seems they may be able to bite/sting before it takes effect.

Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostSun Jul 25, 2021 9:54 pm 
They won’t land on the mint. I tried that at home. And it works. Lavender works too but not with bees! I usually buy shampoo with peppermint if I want bugs away from my face. There are natural peppermint oils as well. In my garden I grow peppermint too and some other herbs.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon Jul 26, 2021 2:05 am 
Sometimes you see these guys carryin hides up there. Only makes it worse!! Bugs swarmin all around the hides!!

gb

gb
PostMon Jul 26, 2021 5:23 am 
Mountainpines wrote:
They won’t lend on the mint. I tried that at home. And it works. Lavender works too but not with bees! I usually buy shampoo with peppermint if I want bugs away from my face. There are natural peppermint oils as well. In my garden I grow peppermint too and some other herbs.
That is an interesting sounding idea. It beats liver carcinogens. Incidentally, black flies were pretty annoying around 4500-5000' yesterday on Pugh...

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostMon Jul 26, 2021 5:41 am 
Tough to enjoy a good trip when the mosquitos ruin it

Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostMon Jul 26, 2021 11:11 am 
Not for us. We are in the midwest and are used to mosquitos. We know how to keep them away. The shampoo I am using is the teatree shampoo. I haven’t noticed but it has peppermint AND lavender in a mix. No wonder it works. It comes in a huge bottle for $20-$30. I started using it in Alaska when we rented a private house. The host put it in a bathroom. smile.gif

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostTue Jul 27, 2021 5:27 pm 
fourteen410 wrote:
gb wrote:
I wouldn't have anything against Permethrin on clothing except for the thought of what happens when you sweat heavily, especially on the back and shoulders.
What happens?
Permethrin is "relatively insoluble" in water (see https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Permethrin), so your sweat shouldn't affect dried Permethrin on clothing. That's why Permethrin is typically sold mixed with petroleum distillates (which it does dissolve in), so as long as you don't sweat petroleum distillates, you should be ok!

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostTue Jul 27, 2021 5:35 pm 
Bramble_Scramble wrote:
Black flies are just obnoxious but horseflies are mean and bug me more than anything else while hiking. I usually have a towel or something to whack them.
Amen! And not only that, horse flies will follow you for 100 yards! The only thing that sorta worked for me was to run the opposite direction I'm heading--with horse flies eagerly in pursuit, then suddenly duck down and run the opposite direction, which will sometimes let you lose them!

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jul 27, 2021 6:28 pm 
I have had horse flies follow for miles. When I first stated hiking in the 80’s, the first summer they were horrible, once hiking to lake 22 they followed us all the way to the lake. After 3 straight trips of that and once they required trail passes, I stopped hiking for over 20 years. I rode trail on my motorcycle, no issues with bugs while riding.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
neek

neek
PostTue Jul 27, 2021 6:58 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I have had horse flies follow for miles.
Yup, they sure will. Just wait for them to land on you, then smack 'em (sorry kitya). They're smart though and try not to land in your field of vision. But after several failed attempts they'll decide it's not worth the risk. I don't like applying chemicals, but tried deet once last week for black flies. Didn't work. Won't bother with that again. They seem to prefer arms so are easy to smack.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostTue Jul 27, 2021 7:50 pm 
Navy salad wrote:
so as long as you don't sweat petroleum distillates, you should be ok!
Thanks - I read gb's comment right after applying permethrin to my clothes smile.gif I try to minimize my use of DEET and picardin when I can. But sometimes the bugs are so bad, there aren't many options left.

Bramble_Scramble

Bramble_Scramble
PostTue Jul 27, 2021 9:46 pm 
I vividly remember my worst horsefly experience on the way to Vesper. I climbed non stop 6-800 ft from Lake Elan on the way to the summit before it finally left me alone. Good motivation to keep moving even when you're tired I guess? I saw an article that mentioned horseflies tend to circle/attack the highest part of a moving object and to hike with someone who is taller than you so they become the target. I'm 6'3" and taller than my friends so if true, then I'm the target. I'm also taller than a lot of other hikers so I get quite a few spider webs to the face that shorter people missed.