Forum Index > Gear Talk > How to Repair Gloves?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
iron

iron
PostFri Feb 04, 2022 12:30 am 
i have a pair of these pearl izumi lobster gloves. been great. worn probably 1500 days (mostly bike commute in the winter and occasional hikes). they are starting to rip slightly at the seams and a few other spots that do not seem easily repairable. gaps in fabric are still small (like 1/8"). is there some kind of glue that would work to stitch this back together? i know there's goop, but i feel like that won't bond well enough.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostFri Feb 04, 2022 8:04 am 
A quick duckduckgo of "textile glue" gives a long list of "best textile glues of 2022" articles. It seems there are many, many products out there. I have no experience with any of them.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Feb 04, 2022 9:33 am 
With that many days gripping a handlebar, there is going to be wear on the fabric. So beyond just reattaching the pieces of fabric to it each other the fabric needs to be reinforced. So you might think about getting some lycra fabric from Seattle Fabrics and gluing it over the palms.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Feb 04, 2022 3:28 pm 
Randito wrote:
With that many days gripping a handlebar, there is going to be wear on the fabric.
My experience has been that once the fabric reaches a certain point of wear and tear, any repairs end up being short term. In my estimation, it is likely time to get a new pair. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Feb 04, 2022 3:52 pm 
I am a huge fan of Shoe Goo, It has worked well for me on a myriad of repairs. I even used it to repair an aluminum chain case cover on a snowmobile, still holding 3 years later. Most recently I had a snap come out on my coat sleeve where you adjust the cuff. Glued it in one position and worked well. My friend say's you can also dilute it with paint thinner to seam seal tents, that might be a good option for your gloves.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Telefly

Telefly
PostSat Feb 05, 2022 10:30 am 
Shoe goo is good. Seam grip is also very similar I believe. I used it on shoulder seam on a nylon jacket where the fabric itself was pulling apart and it’s held up well

glenoid

glenoid
PostWed Feb 09, 2022 4:37 pm 
Liked the pictures of your gloves. They look to be in pretty good shape. I believe they are repairable but it would require taking the glove apart and sewing in new fabric to reinforce the finger/perimeter inserts they seem to have. (I would use three-ply Gore-Tex fabric). Just turning the gloves inside out and sewing the seam a little deeper into good fabric, to beef up the seam, would reduce the volume of the glove probably too much. If there are "holes" in the fabric, they can usually be patched when the glove is inside out. If the palms are worn out, new leather or grip material can be used. Again, taking the glove apart and turning it inside out would be the best way to repair the glove without decreasing the volume of the glove. (A picture showing the area between the digits and the side seam would show me the construction of these gloves and get a better idea of their repair potential). I personally would not try to "glue" a torn/frayed seam, as I don't believe it would last very long. But then, I am able to repair it properly. PM me if you want me to to attempt a repair for you. I will do it for free. Your shipping costs from Canada will be costly enough!!

RichP