Forum Index > Trail Talk > Caldor Fire in Real Time
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
JimK

JimK
PostTue Aug 31, 2021 11:31 am 
Really sad. 19 years ago tomorrow I sat atop Mt. Tallac. Photo is looking south over Gilmore Lake to Pyramid Peak on the left. Fallen Leaf Lake is just east and Lake Tahoe is to the north.

Hiking Northwest

Chief Joseph
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostTue Aug 31, 2021 12:31 pm 
Wildfire Today included this report "These weather conditions will allow the fire to become active early Tuesday morning and continue burning throughout the night. Fire Behavior analysts expect spotting distances will again be more than 0.75 miles" That spotting distance is what I notice. https://wildfiretoday.com/tag/caldor-fire/

Off trail rambler
silence

silence
PostTue Aug 31, 2021 2:05 pm 
bawl.gif

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Aug 31, 2021 2:46 pm 
So sorry to see this. My son introduced me to the Desolation Wilderness in early June this year, and while it was fantastic for early season hiking, I couldn’t help noticing how extremely vulnerable to fire it was. Same for the city of South Lake Tahoe; many trees right next to houses, no defensible space over a large area.

altasnob

altasnob
PostTue Aug 31, 2021 3:32 pm 
Has the fire even burned any of Desolation Wilderness? Looks like just a bit of the southern part. Based on foretasted winds, the fire looks to be heading towards Heavenly Ski area, and after that across the state line into Nevada, but Desolation Wilderness appears to be mostly fine to me.

altasnob

altasnob
PostTue Aug 31, 2021 3:34 pm 
altasnob wrote:
Has any fire from ever made it across the crest in history?
NYTimes today answered my question. Only two fires in CA known history have crossed the crest, both from this year (Caldor and Dixie).

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Aug 31, 2021 5:17 pm 
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostTue Aug 31, 2021 9:57 pm 
https://wildfiretoday.com scroll down for fire map from 4pm today also, one firefighter with serious burns

Off trail rambler
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Sep 01, 2021 8:06 am 
Eric Hansen wrote:
https://wildfiretoday.com scroll down for fire map from 4pm today also, one firefighter with serious burns
Crews are getting exhausted and clumsy from it. That's why it's important for them to have a couple days off. He had 4 more to go before time off. Damn. Don't know what time he fell but I've always thought of the wee hours of the morning--2AM on night shift, as the time that stupid begins. Not stupid in a bad way. We get tired and that causes stupidity to kick in and accidents occur. That's the time where crew banter is important. Trivia questions like name the all the kids on The Brady Bunch. That helps a bit to stay more alert. Hope he heals up. On another note, I hope tree nurseries are gearing up.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Carbonj

Carbonj
PostWed Sep 01, 2021 9:03 am 
I did wildland firefighting for FS and NPS and one study showed most accidents were in the eleventh hour of the shift. Many night shifts in the dark someone would moan -Beware the eleventh hour.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Sep 01, 2021 11:18 am 
Carbonj wrote:
I did wildland firefighting for FS and NPS and one study showed most accidents were in the eleventh hour of the shift. Many night shifts in the dark someone would moan -Beware the eleventh hour.
I have always called it the Stupid Hour. We put in some 30 hour shifts and this was years ago, and you really get stupid doing that.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostWed Sep 01, 2021 11:21 am 
puzzlr wrote:
1985, Pyramid Peak, South Lake Tahoe in the distance
1985, Pyramid Peak, South Lake Tahoe in the distance
Overnight, the fire burned up Pyramid Creek and very close to, if not into, Puzzlr's image on the upper right edge. From looking at satellite images, it followed contiguous strips of oak brush and tree copses to get where it is now. From there, though, it will have to start spotting into the really barren granite areas in the middle of Puzzlr's image. I am no longer as confident that it will stop. There is no precedent for this set of conditions in this location, in recorded history, anyway. The more wooded areas in the top of the image are in the path of fire right now as well. I think that is the part of the Desolation Wilderness that Malachai Constant was referring to, and yeah, it is likely to all burn. There is more PCT in there being scorched.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostWed Sep 01, 2021 1:42 pm 
Wildfire Today guy has a map from a 5:30am today flight up, scroll down https://wildfiretoday.com says "will post more info, maps later today"

Off trail rambler
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Sep 02, 2021 8:28 pm 
There was a hiatus yesterday for South Lake Tahoe but now it looks like it has flared up again. It seems to have jumped Echo Lake, covered Meyers, advanced to the Airport. As predicted it is now in the wooded area abundant Lake Tahoe and Falling leaf lake. I am afraid Desolation Wilderness will be an appropriate appellation for the whole unit. frown.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
altasnob

altasnob
PostThu Sep 02, 2021 9:26 pm 
Winds seem to have eased up at least. No real rain the forecast, although there may be a disturbance a week out. Humidity is getting higher at night down there. They are doing a good job of corralling it and keeping it away from most of the town. It is amazing that Sierra at Tahoe ski area was saved. I think it was the snowmaking equipment spraying water.