Forum Index > Partners > North Idaho hiking...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Sep 22, 2021 5:49 pm 
Just arrived today at Priest lake, and want to do a few hikes before the weather turns. I want to do the short hike to Hunt lake, then over the Selkirk crest for hopefully an over-nighter at Fault lake. Then I want to do probably a day hike to the Wigwams. One more I might do is Lookout mountain and maybe a ridge traverse from there to Lions Head peak. I have been to Lookout mountain once and there is a historic fire lookout on the top. If you happen to live in the Spokane or CDA area, we have a detached cabin where one can stay the night if wanted. Also have a nice fire pit, music and a bar less than a mile away and I will buy the beer. cheers.gif Invitation open to all genders.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Sep 23, 2021 12:05 pm 
looks like I might be going solo tomorrow to the Wigwams, might post some pics. I guess the road is very rough the last mile, so plan to ride my bike north on 57 and then over to the east side, should be a trip.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Sep 28, 2021 1:16 pm 
Found the old fire lookout up on Hughes ridge yesterday then headed down to check out the meadows.
upper priest lake
upper priest lake
outlaw..
outlaw..
biker
biker
Hughes fork
Hughes fork
granite creek
granite creek
can anyone identify?
can anyone identify?
old and new shoe trees
old and new shoe trees
2 mouth creek
2 mouth creek

RichP
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Oct 04, 2021 5:43 pm 
Went up on Mollies loop today, it’s a popular snowmobile route but I rode my dirt bike. I went up a spur road off that loop that goes due north about a mile to a dead end. There a pretty defined tread heads into the trees them up through granite on the way to Mollies peak, then one can follow the saddle a ways to climb the ridge up to Phoebe’s tip, I chose to just get up Mollies today for some great 360 views.
warming hut
warming hut
the way up
the way up
Sorry, but yellow trees, except for a few of the leafy variety.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Oct 06, 2021 12:47 am 
Actually found a partner today on the trail to Hunt lake. On the way up the rough, seemingly never ending about 9 mile logging road I noticed what looked to be fresh tracks and when I arrived there was one vehicle at the TH. The hike is only one mile, but about the roughest mile that you are likely to find, essentially an off trail route going up and down traversing a long boulder field. I was going slow and deliberately, not in a hurry and not wishing to get injured. So about 1/3 of the way in I was surprised to find another lone male hiker who was about 10 years my senior. So we hiked in together, separated while we each fished a bit (fishing sucked) then hiked out together. It made the hike more enjoyable as we enjoyed one another persons conversation and company. We exchanged numbers and hope to hike in the future. Was hoping to see goats on the cliffs above in the high heather, but none were visible. It was perfect weather, about 70 and pretty breezy at the lake for casting. The lake is typically that way so next trip I would like to spend the night in order to fish early and late when the wind has dissipated, maybe raft across to a private campsite. We found quite a lot of trash and packed out all but two silver tarps that we stashed out of sight under some very large boulders. Observing the climb to the notch leading over the crest and on to Fault lake on the other side looks to be maybe out of my pain and physical limitation threshold, but am not ready to give up on in yet...like the Mariners, maybe next year.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Oct 06, 2021 12:52 am 
priest lake below
priest lake below
'trail'
'trail'
'trail'
'trail'
Hunt Peak
Hunt Peak
notch leading over the crest and south to fault
notch leading over the crest and south to fault
pond by lake that also holds protein
pond by lake that also holds protein
Was actually nice that the route was well flagged, not really necessary but helpful in order to take "the line of least resistance" ...especially for us Old Guys. wink.gif

reststep, RichP
dixon

dixon
PostMon Oct 18, 2021 1:19 pm 
Amazing pics Chief! Where in Idaho do you live if you don't mind me asking?

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Oct 18, 2021 9:18 pm 
Thanks. NW side of Priest Lake. I actually split time between here and Verlot where I plan to head back to for about 6 weeks in about 10 days, then back here for the winter.
in north Idaho even a swamp looks awesome!
in north Idaho even a swamp looks awesome!
granite creek
granite creek
trail junction at the start of the north fork  priest river trail
trail junction at the start of the north fork priest river trail
big cedar
big cedar
snowy top mountain. Funny note, on my app a mountain named “rock candy mountain” popped up, maybe climb it…mmm, chocolate!
snowy top mountain. Funny note, on my app a mountain named “rock candy mountain” popped up, maybe climb it…mmm, chocolate!

dixon
Songs2

Songs2
PostSun Nov 21, 2021 8:10 pm 
Chief Joseph, These are wonderful photos, and narrative. Thanks very much for posting. I've driven through northern Idaho on my way to Canada and keep telling self I should plan to explore. Rock Candy Mountain is in the Yaak. It's a fun hike, not too challenging. I have hiked it. At the top are the remnants of a lookout, including bed springs and old telephone wires. Top-notch views. Yaak Valley Forest Council may include it as one of two hikes annually it offers to the public, usually as part of Montana Wilderness Assoc hikes. I can also recommend Buckhorn Ridge in the Yaak, and many other fine hikes. Be prepared for grizz anywhere. Yaak Valley Forest Council

Chief Joseph
RichP

RichP
PostMon Nov 22, 2021 11:47 am 
Chief is in a good hiking area which straddles both Wa and Idaho. More wildlife than bipeds in those parts. I was around there for a couple of days in Oct and hiked The Roosevelt Trail #266 up Little Grass Mountain. The trail starts on the Wa side but crosses into Idaho at about the halfway point. Some nice cedar groves along the way. 266 could use some maintenance in its second half.
Indian Mountain Lookout on the Wa side. Gated road walk:
Diamond Peak and Patrol Point also in Wa. A gated road walk:
I'll let you know in advance next time I'm in the area CJ.

Songs2, Chief Joseph, reststep
Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostWed Nov 24, 2021 5:01 pm 
Little Grass looks nicer than I imagined past on prior reports about brush. Haven't decided if I'll just do that trail or poke around the old roads that came in from the E and look like they get you closer to that peak on paper. Glad to see the tower ruins are Diamond are still standing.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Nov 24, 2021 7:06 pm 
Lookout mountain is a good hike with a good approach road, there is a historic lookout up there and the remains of a modern one, either torn down or damaged by weather. Hughes ridge lookout is pretty cool too...good road and very short hike. One thing I really want to do this summer is to hike up to the Continental mine and spend a day or two exploring. The Priest lake library is on the national historic registry and they have some great books on the history of PL. Highly recommended reading is "Beyond the Narrows"...there were some characters back in the day and still are actually. ( I might be one?). Pete Chase is the most notable one, he lived in a cabin at the upper lake, mining, trapping, hunting, gathering, and most notably, his moonshine was the best around and was even served at the Davenport Hotel in Spokane. He also was purposely arrested each fall so that he could spend the winter in the comfort of the Sandpoint jail...I would venture to guess that he and the guards imbibed on his brew throughout the winter, and they kept the fire burning.

RichP

RichP
PostThu Nov 25, 2021 10:00 am 
Eric wrote:
Little Grass looks nicer than I imagined past on prior reports about brush. Haven't decided if I'll just do that trail or poke around the old roads that came in from the E
Eric, Beware that the trails on USGS maps don't match up with reality. There is no trail that goes up the spine of the ridge as shown and the lower trail does not end halfway up the mountain. See Daniel C's GPS track on peakbagger. Ryder reported the roads as being a mess and opted for the trail on his second try though twice the distance and gain. There is some significant blowdown on the Idaho side but maintenance is good to just beyond the border on the Wa side. We actually missed the summit spur (well flagged) the first time by it and popped out at the end of the road which is very close to the top. It didn't look bad there but I can't speak for lower down. https://www.peakbagger.com/climber/ascent.aspx?aid=1787980

Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostThu Nov 25, 2021 7:18 pm 
Thanks. Yeah I've read the other TRs on PB so I saw the comments on the trail and Ryder's experience too. Probably still take a swing from the E, I like to go for routes that look short and wind up brushy. Slowly working through the P2Ks N of I-90 so need to get that one, Queen, Grizzly, Bennett and Roberts next year. Hopefully.

RichP