Forum Index > Gear Talk > SOS for a hiker other than you?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Luc

Luc
PostWed Sep 15, 2021 1:16 pm 
My sister and I just got back from doing the Chelan Summit Trail. On the trail, we came upon a lost and hungry hiker. We helped him out with food, navigation, and a zoleo text to his wife. Obviously I'd never hesitate to use an SOS device that is associated with me for a hiker other than me. But does anyone know how it works? I mean, if I were to send an SOS for an injured hiker, my family would get notified and, if it were a device other than zoleo or another 2-way device, they would be looking for me, not the other hiker. Of course I would stay with the injured person, but does the mis-matched SOS screw anything up? What about rescue costs? Just wonderin'

GNGSTR
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostWed Sep 15, 2021 1:32 pm 
Here is a story from NWhikers regarding just such a situation: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8034284&highlight=la+bohn The person involved might have better answers to your questions.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
dave allyn

dave allyn
PostWed Sep 15, 2021 2:39 pm 
There is no charge for rescue in Washington and most if not all other states. I currently have a 2 way satellite device which I highly recommend. It's useful for rescuers to know how serious, how many, are you prepared to spend the night? My wife and I had a system to let her know it wasn't me when I had my old 1 way spot2.

Bronco

Bronco
PostThu Sep 16, 2021 10:00 am 
Have a conversation with your emergency contacts that just because you hit the SOS button it doesn't necisarly mean that you're hurt and it's likely you're summoning help for someone else.

pasayten
Class of 65...

pasayten
Class of 65...
PostFri Sep 17, 2021 1:44 pm 
That's what I like about the Garmin InReach devices... Two way texting to help clarify just such a situation.

Happy Trails... pasayten