Forum Index > Trip Reports > Hitting Rock Bottom: Hot Tent'n
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Route Loser

Route Loser
PostMon Oct 25, 2021 9:41 am 
In this mountain dilettantism, I'd once dreamed of becoming a has-been or at least an also-ran. Now that I've entered the life phase where I can detach my peroneal tendon just rolling out of bed in the morning, I find myself staring through a low saddle into a nearby meadow of weren't-never, resplendent in its autumn foliage. Still desirous of living mostly outdoors, I've adapted only by adding more of life's little luxuries to the pack. We heard Zeus was rolling out the bomb cyclones. Having grown weary of too many psychologies and power plays in our homeland, Jonathan and I invented an arbitrary quest to get us out the door, and hoped the bards would later imbue it with some meaning. Like Nauplius and Ancaeus, the second string navigators set out for the golden fleesh.
Fishing was typical for an October windstorm, lures often landing somewhere behind me. I would have liked to have an Argo, with a trolling motor. Perhaps a snorkel and drysuit for the second lake coming down from the sky. Camping, as usual, was excellent. Beers were cold. Stove was hot. Gear was dried. T-shirts were worn. For a brief moment, the stars came out, and the moon rose directly between a couple insignificant rock horns at the head of the lake, as if we were astral photogs who had planned this moment for years. We are not. At some point in the night, a stiff blow came down from the east. Jonathan had to sub in for Heracles to hold the center pole of the tent from bending completely in half and shattering, while I slept mightily.
A dark dawn came with unbelievable gusts, and snow began to fly. Eggs and Impossible sausage were canceled in favor of coffee and a rapid exit. While failing to bring home the gold, our petite apotheosis was confirmed. We are somebody, even if just two haggard snowflakes blown from our work and our families to the mountains and back, our whole lives' purpose in between.

mossbackmax, Nancyann, Chief Joseph, Pef, neek, KascadeFlat
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostMon Oct 25, 2021 11:35 am 
What is that contraption in your tent?! Does it just heat or do you also use it to cook? How heavy is it? I thought I had maxed the luxuries at food, wine, and double sleeping pads, but now I am learning there are whole new worlds!

For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.
Route Loser

Route Loser
PostMon Oct 25, 2021 12:20 pm 
The stove is a few overpriced scraps of titanium foil held together with a handful of wing nuts. Seek Outside makes this one. Many of the hunting tent companies make em. Yes, we cook on it. Works great for a 2.5 liter pot or medium skillet, but you'd need a more robust stove for much more weight. Weight of the stove is 2.5 lbs. That is on the small side of adequate for a 135 sq ft tent, which is on the comical side of large for tents. Smaller stove options are available down to 1.5 lbs. Highly recommended. Of course, that necessitates a new tent or cutting open an existing tent to sew in a stove jack. There are always new levels of luxury to explore!

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostMon Oct 25, 2021 12:33 pm 
Great storytelling as as always and brave trip; amazing tent set up!!

flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostMon Oct 25, 2021 1:37 pm 
I could definitely see ' hot tenting' on winter treks where I could pull a sled/pulk up some lonely winter backroads! I have seen a variety of these setups on line. Tempting.

Route Loser

Route Loser
PostMon Oct 25, 2021 5:55 pm 
flatsqwerl, I think with a pulk you could spring for a 500 sq ft tent with a welded steel box stove. Maybe a lightweight cot, maybe a pony keg of light beer.

mosey, flatsqwerl
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Oct 25, 2021 7:19 pm 
cool!!!

Art is an adventure.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Oct 25, 2021 9:02 pm 
I have no idea where you went, but great and funny story! I really like your username, I should have picked it, If getting off route-lost were an art form, I would be Rembrandt.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

ozzy
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostMon Oct 25, 2021 9:23 pm 
Any concerns with carbon monoxide buildup in the tent? I imagine it's a dance between ventilation and not letting too much warm air escape.

Route Loser

Route Loser
PostMon Oct 25, 2021 10:37 pm 
Not too concerned about CO in this case given the stove pipe. When running well, it should be nearly as safe as a wood stove in a home. Downdraft from wind or creosote buildup could smoke you out, but you will notice. The floorless shelters generally vent well enough that many folks cook in them on a canister stove while all zipped up. I personally do not. Chief Joseph, glad to hear from such a great artist. I'm more of a Franz Marc, but I hope to have a little more longevity.

timberghost

timberghost
PostTue Oct 26, 2021 7:14 am 
Nice setup

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Oct 26, 2021 8:20 pm 
I want one of those stoves, just as long as someone else carries it. smile.gif

Route Loser
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Oct 26, 2021 11:16 pm 
Do they pack down tight or are they more in the ultra heavy scene?

Route Loser

Route Loser
PostWed Oct 27, 2021 6:52 am 
Fairly packable. Rolls up into a roughly 11" x 3" storage tube plus a case about the size of a 3/4" thick legal envelope. A cylinder stove might have an even smaller packed size.

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostWed Oct 27, 2021 7:03 am 
What prevents the hot embers from the stack from burning holes in the tent? confused.gif My tent survived woodstove service a few times - and then one night it didn't. shakehead.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir