Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Federal Recreation Facilities
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostSat Feb 19, 2022 1:15 pm 
South Whidbey State Park closed it's campground with 54 sites in 2015 because of "hazardous trees". We've had numerous storms in the past 7 years with sustained winds of 60 mph and not a single tree has come down in the campground. I walk there frequently.

Malachai Constant
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Feb 19, 2022 5:08 pm 
Get Out and Go wrote:
Regarding the Tumwater CG, I think the original reasoning was that after the fire, which stretched up the slope and beyond on the other side of the highway, there was a fear of mudslides...so apparently now it's the water system? huh.gif I seem to remember that CG being closed in the past because of some hazardous trees, as well.
I have wondered why it closed and never re-opened. That was a very nice campground, I have fond memories of camping there with my family in the early 90's. I caught my biggest Steelhead ever while we were there, although the last trip was not so fun as the No See Um Mozzies were unbearable. Anyone recall when it closed and if it will ever re-open? Up until a few years ago I would pull in there for a rest stop before they put up the barriers.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message