Forum Index > The Trading Post > FS SUBARU 2005 BAJA. W/CANOPY. SOLD
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Waterman

Waterman
PostFri Dec 10, 2021 7:43 pm 
Broken timing belt, needs new 4L engine. 360K+ miles Over the years have replaced; front axles Brakes 2019 Steering tree and driveline 2020 Tires 1yr old Original transmission AWD Set of studded snow tires no rims Body straight, sunroof Color obsidian black Some wear and tear in back seats (which fold down) from dog. PM please Will text photos 3500 obo

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Dec 11, 2021 1:24 am 
'Tis the season aye? My transmission blew and your motor went. Got some good use out of it though, mine blew at about 215k. Motor is still good so will probably keep it. Also a bad time to be car shopping, prices high and availability low.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
RichP

RichP
PostSat Dec 11, 2021 8:43 am 
These cars have somewhat of a cult following. You might do better to check on some websites where enthusiasts gather to obsess over them.

Waterman

Waterman
PostSat Dec 11, 2021 11:28 am 
Just thought I post here in case someone would be interested. Plenty of results from craigslist.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Dec 11, 2021 7:25 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
My transmission blew
Is this a known problem with Subis?? I had neighbors a few years ago whose Subi blew the transmission when they were heading back from the coast; don't have details re age or mileage. I always thought Subaru was a dependable brand. I'm done with my '85 Toyota SR5 pickup if the transmission ever goes, but my freelance repairman says he's never seen that happen to a Toyota PU except in an instance when one had been loaned for an extended time to someone who really didn't know how to drive a stick properly. But the Mighty T only just turned 250K a couple weeks ago; a young adult in Toyota years. cool.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Dec 11, 2021 7:31 pm 
Sorry I wasn't clear, it was in my '03 Suburban. Seems like the trans model is problematic after researching, but pretty sure it was the original, so 215 k isn't bad at all. The motor is supposed to be good for at least 300k if cared for. I like Toyota's too, but have been hesitant due to the price, but they are more money because they are worth it. My next target vehicle is a Tundra about 10 years old, maybe around 150 k in mileage.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostMon Dec 13, 2021 10:25 am 
Timing belt, water pump & head gaskets job are usually 1,600$ But they would also want to pull heads,new gaskets..replace a few/all bent valves..may as well do a valve cut allso...deck heads.. Ya dam.belts..happened on my 86 Mazda truck. engine... You should buy my restored Mazda truck! New eng..susp..brakes.ect....great mountain truck..

Waterman

Waterman
PostMon Dec 13, 2021 10:52 am 
No. At the moment picking up a Baja in Lyden. 139k miles. U should buy the carcass. Will drop the price just for you

Fedor

Fedor
PostMon Dec 13, 2021 10:21 pm 
forest gnome wrote:
You should buy my restored Mazda truck!
How much do you want for it?

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostMon Dec 13, 2021 10:45 pm 
Supposed to have help putting ad on craigslist.. 86 mazda..Mechanic owned..restored 3years ago.. Engine: pistons,bearings..head decked.new valves...oil pump,fuelpump.. Suspension: 15in tires..rear Monroe airshox. New front shox.. (all susp.recent after upper arm bolt broke on 1 side)...last spring. NEW upper control arms,w/ball joints. 4 new tie rods, idler, & pitman arms. Lower ball joints. Clutch (resurfaced flywheel) Recent slave cyl.&master. All new brakes. master cyl., 5 lines,calipers rebuilt. New rotors, inner/outer bearings w/races (140$)...rear cylinders & shoes..springs. Timing belt broke(oil contamination) so i did the head gasket & water pump & new valves. (Less then 100miles ago) New windshield...WEBBER carb..exh.header Muffler..New radiator..all hoses,belts, ect.. NEEDS a speedo cable (keep track of mileage)...left front aligned..better battery. Was painted..but ha's dings now for a work truck... Eats up the logging roads!! ONLY thing not replaced was the distributor. First 2,500$ gets it..try to build 1 for 4,500$.. Sorry for jacking thread waterman..bit it's a great truck..just have 2 ...1990 mitsubishi montero''s. now..sooooo Kinda went overboard with a full restoration..

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostMon Dec 13, 2021 10:48 pm 
Everytime I drive it I think .mmm hate to sell it.. It's like a go cart and I have done some great trips up to mountains...really nice for the logging roads with 15in.tires!.. Also found a trans.that looked rebuilt at pik n pull..1 gear went out so found a replacement trans..