Forum Index > Gear Talk > flying with a stove
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
neek

neek
PostSat Dec 18, 2021 7:10 pm 
Let's say you're going to fly somewhere, rent a car, and car camp for a week. What's the best type of stove to bring? Of course you can't bring fuel canisters on a plane, and if you buy one after landing, you're stuck with the responsible disposal of a partially-full canister. (You can't bring Esbit tablets on a plane either.) Are alcohol stoves a viable option? But then you have the same problem - disposing of extra HEET (which looks kind of nasty) or chugging leftover Everclear (which is not available in all states). Since weight isn't really an issue, would one of those mini wood-burning stoves work? But then you'd have to collect wood, which might be a pain, depending on where you are. Is there something clever I'm not thinking of, besides cold-soaking, which is always an option? Solar oven, and just leave it near the car while you're out hiking? Oh - what about one of those electric kettles that plug into the cigarette lighter? You'd probably be limited to about 100 W; is that even enough to boil a few cups of water in a reasonable amount of time? Any experience with this type of setup?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostSat Dec 18, 2021 7:55 pm 
Interesting question. I've always used the mini iso canisters and disposed of the remainder which obviously isn't great.
neek wrote:
would one of those mini wood-burning stoves work? But then you'd have to collect wood, which might be a pain, depending on where you are.
Since you were listing cons for the other options, it might be worth mentioning that some places don't allow these either. Like MRNP.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Dec 18, 2021 10:25 pm 
You can fly with any stove as long as there is no detectable trace of fuel in the stove. E.g. a brand new stove and new fuel bottle. It can be tricky to remove all traces of fuel after your trip, so you might need to dry it out as best you can and then ground ship it back home -- at least if the shipping costs are substantially less than the cost of the stove. Alcohol stoves are inexpensive alcohol is pretty widely available, even world wide. I found paint stores to be a good source of denatured alcohol in the states. Pharmacies in Mexico sell ethyl alcohol in various grades very cheap. So if your cooking needs are simple and your group is small alcohol works OK. You can buy a new one for the trip and toss it away at the end. Excess alcohol fuel disposed of at a hazardous waste disposal site, which there are likley to be in any US urbanized area large enough to have an airport. If you think using a stove once and tossing it is wasteful or bad environmentally, you should probably reconsider getting on an airplane.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSat Dec 18, 2021 11:07 pm 
If you use alcohol stove and get a bottle of Heet, you can just put the remainder in the renatal car's gas tank. Some places have a sort of hiker box to put partially used canisters in for others to use. That may or may not be an option where you go. If I am not mistaken, they have that at the Grand Canyon. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostSun Dec 19, 2021 8:29 am 
RumiDude wrote:
If you use alcohol stove and get a bottle of Heet, you can just put the remainder in the renatal car's gas tank.
I think we have a winner.

neek

neek
PostSun Dec 19, 2021 8:58 am 
Very good point, Randito. However, my concern here is practical, not environmental. I don't like to waste time or money. Hiking that involves any driving has the same issue. It could make for an interesting discussion in a different forum. It's illegal to throw away a non-empty canister, and burning off the extra fuel can take hours. A hazardous waste disposal facility can be far away and have limited hours. So far I like the Heet idea. But for the type of trips I do, these electric kettles seem worth trying. Looks like they can boil a couple of cups of water in about half an hour, and that's all I really need.

Hoosierdaddy
Trophy Husband

Hoosierdaddy
Trophy Husband
PostSun Dec 19, 2021 9:34 am 
If you choose to use Heet, be sure it's the yellow bottle...not the red. (It burns much better) However, Heet is nearly pure methanol, which is poisonous to breathe, but I've used it before and lived.

God, I am going to regret this someday!

neek
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostSun Dec 19, 2021 10:35 am 
Some thru hikers these days don’t use a stove. Just eat non cook able food.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Dec 19, 2021 7:09 pm 
neek wrote:
and burning off the extra fuel can take hours.
https://www.backcountry.com/jetboil-crunchit-fuel-canister-recycling-tool

neek

neek
PostSun Dec 19, 2021 7:29 pm 
Well, that's an interesting idea. My inner teenager would have a tough time not trying to ignite the bleed-off steam...

Bargainhunter

Bargainhunter
PostSun Dec 19, 2021 10:45 pm 
MSR Whisperlite International. I have an ancient model but retrofitted it with a shaker jet. Just returned from Joshua Tree. No problems flying, just air out the fuel bottle a day or two before flying, and pump the stove a few times to expel any residual fuel. White gas evaporates fast. Easy to find fuel, can use auto gas, white gas, kerosene and perhaps diesel I'd suspect. But I just use white gas in the Whisperlite. The small bottle is great for travel. I had a Solo Stove Titan with me as well to give to a friend as a present, but you can't collect twigs to burn in J-Tree, unlike many other spots. In general, on longer trips I prefer the Solo Stove as I like burning twigs and don't like worrying about fuel, plus the ritual of heating water with wood is therapeutic. If you get a Solo Stove, get the matching pot as it nests nicely with the stove. The Lite model is good for solo or lighter weight backpacking and the Titan is better for 2-3 people or car camping. (But my favorite car camping stove is a vintage Coleman suitcase stove.) I have an old MSR XGK but seldom use it as my Whisperlite is quieter and works fine in cold weather/snow. I took the Whisperlite on my trip up Denali. The electric kettle/coffee cup plug in the cigarette lighter outlet doesn't really do more than mildly warm up your coffee, at the expense of draining your battery. Even on a multi-hour road trip, it heats VERY slowly. I'd hate to be at a trailhead with dead battery and a lukewarm cup of coffee. The BRS 3000t is ultra lightweight if you prefer canister stoves and can pick up some fuel canisters at your destination, but I'm not a fan of canister stoves for a number of reasons, namely, the canister! Having a quiver of stoves to select from is great! But if you are getting only one, get the Whisperlite. But if traveling in the developing world, esp in winter, I'd probably take my XGK.

neek

neek
PostMon Dec 20, 2021 6:14 am 
Bargainhunter wrote:
Just returned from Joshua Tree.
Me too! Mojave preserve on the 14th, joshua tree on the 15th, and death valley on the 16th. I've always been afraid of white gas stoves for some reason, but will have to look into it. Do you take the stove and bottle as carry-on or checked luggage? I like the idea of the Solo, but wood can be hard to find (or legally collect) in the desert, and there's often a burn ban in effect when I'm backpacking in the northwest.

Bargainhunter

Bargainhunter
PostMon Dec 20, 2021 6:33 am 
neek wrote:
I've always been afraid of white gas stoves for some reason, but will have to look into it. Do you take the stove and bottle as carry-on or checked luggage? I like the idea of the Solo, but wood can be hard to find (or legally collect) in the desert, and there's often a burn ban in effect when I'm backpacking in the northwest.
I check the stove and bottle, and yes, a burn ban can shut down the twig stove use unfortunately, limiting its use. I suspect a new stove is in your future. I can't imagine desert camping in winter without one. Brrrrr! I am ignorant about alcohol stoves and perhaps one of those might be a good match for you? EDIT: I'm also ignorant about the whole Jetboil style of canister stoves. That might be a great lightweight option if you don't mind stopping to buy/using a canister. Also, if you plan to return to an area, you can always stash the canister behind a protective rock 'til next time. Yes, not the best "leave no trace" practice, but if you really plan to return and hide if well, it won't be wasted. Hitting all of those CA desert areas in 3 days was a real world-wind tour!

neek

neek
PostMon Dec 20, 2021 7:13 am 
Well, I was sleeping in the car. A tent, yeah, brrr! And the wind... But to be clear, I did have a canister stove. You can't deny the convenience, until it comes to ditching the canister. Maybe I'll just go back to cold soaking, which has worked OK for me in the past.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue Dec 21, 2021 7:48 pm 
You can buy everclear in a 375 ml size bottle. It takes about 30 ml to boil 2 cups of water (if you have a wind screen). So, about 12 two cup boils per bottle. And you can carry a bottle of liquor on a plane. If you know how many days and (therefore boils you will need) it would get you within how many 375 ml bottles of everclear you need rather easily. Just take some orange juice along and mix up a screw driver with what's left.