Forum Index > Trip Reports > ritter revenge 6.12 - 6.13.21 (se glacier)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostTue Jan 11, 2022 8:58 pm 
Spring 2021 Sierra trips, Vol. 3 As I mentioned in a previous post, Jake and I had discussed this one a few times after our respective fall 2019 sierra road trips - we both failed on it that year. Due to weather and fire/stove restrictions, I didn't get to take a shot at it in fall 2020. But when I ended up back in Mammoth Lakes in June I had to give it another try. I had been hoping to do a longer loop including Ritter lakes, Glacier pass and Thousand Is. Lake, but after many days of feeling bad due to altitude and a pretty strenuous trip the previous weekend, I decided to scale this one back. I camped at nydiver lakes, climbed Ritter, and hiked out. I found the route to be pretty fun except for the final scree slog to the summit. And the huge sun cups on the glacier got a little old after awhile. It was solid scrambling for the first 500', then snow/rock, then low angle glacier, then another couple hundred feet of rock scrambling to the bowl beneath the summit. If you continue through the bowl toward Ritter's south ridge you can pick up a trail through the scree but I didn't find it until I was near the top. From the bowl, I went straight up steep snow and then steep talus. Jake was on my mind the whole climb and I burst into tears when I hit the summit. Then I just wanted to get out of there. So I ate some snacks, took some photos, waved to a climber on Banner, and hoofed it all the way back to my car. Someday I hope to be visit this place when the Reds Meadow road is open, but I had to walk the road again this time :/ 24 mi, 7880'

geyer, raising3hikers, RAW-dad, Tom, RichP, Gimpilator, Off Route Randy, ozzy, NBL, reststep, Cyclopath, fffej50, Nancyann  Char May, kite
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostFri Jan 14, 2022 10:50 am 
I've been shy about going to the Sierra due to the crowds and permitting process but your reports have me thinking I need to get down there.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostFri Jan 14, 2022 8:22 pm 
rubywrangler wrote:
Huge suncups = neve penitentes. A runaway feedback melt phenomenon. Very awkward and slow indeed!

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still