Forum Index > Trail Talk > Madness down the Middle Fork
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Mar 03, 2022 12:17 pm 
It would have been a lot easier and CHEAPER to fix these continual road damages had they not paved the dang thing! God bless Milton Friedman. "If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years there'd be a shortage of sand"

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
philfort

philfort
PostThu Mar 03, 2022 12:58 pm 
I think this is in the currently unpaved section? (which I think is only unpaved because it washed out a few years ago too). I don't know much about road building, but this seems like a relatively easy fix to make. It's not like the middle fork is eating away at a section of road - can they just put in a culvert where the new stream is and fill stuff back in?

timberghost

timberghost
PostThu Mar 03, 2022 3:11 pm 
I wast a road builder on my other life. It's probably gotten alot worse and who knows where it falls on their list of things to fix, then budget,etc. It appears they don't put priorities on public demand these days. The motorcyclists will probably have a path thru first.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Mar 03, 2022 3:17 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
It would have been a lot easier and CHEAPER to fix these continual road damages had they not paved the dang thing! God bless Milton Friedman. "If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years there'd be a shortage of sand"
You made a very simlar complaint the last time this section of the MF road was washed out by a big rain event. Others on that discussion thread predicted the MF would remain closed for years -- based on the USFS repair speed of the NF of the Skykomish road. However now that the MF has been paved , King County is responsible for repairs and maintenance -- and once the "heavy rain" period of the spring was past -- King County patched up the road well ahead of the summer hiking season. My bet is that King County will get the road patched up before July -- perhaps even by Memorial Day. Here is a link to King County's road status page:, there are currently 5 roads closed by "Slides" -- the Middle Fork closure is probably the lowest priority is doesn't block access to anyone's residence or business. https://kingcounty.gov/depts/local-services/roads/road-closures.aspx

kw
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Mar 03, 2022 4:47 pm 
Don't the inholders beyond the gate have residences and/or businesses?

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Mar 03, 2022 6:08 pm 
I think the only businesses beyond the gate are the hot springs and a couple marginal mining claims. I think the only “residences” were the “creepy tree house”:and some hobo camps.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Mar 03, 2022 9:27 pm 
Don't caretakers reside at Goldmyer? Also, pretty sure the owner of the larger claim has repaired the road beyond the gate numerous times, sure seems like it's an active business. The county has an obligation to restore access for them, not sure it's optional no matter what other "priorities" they have.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Mar 03, 2022 9:34 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
It would have been a lot easier and CHEAPER to fix these continual road damages had they not paved the dang thing!
It would be even cheaper to not have a road at all.

timberghost

timberghost
PostFri Mar 04, 2022 6:52 am 
It would be cheaper to close the area down all together

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Mar 04, 2022 9:08 am 
Tom wrote:
Don't caretakers reside at Goldmyer? Also, pretty sure the owner of the larger claim has repaired the road beyond the gate numerous times, sure seems like it's an active business. The county has an obligation to restore access for them, not sure it's optional no matter what other "priorities" they have.
They do -- however the King County maintained road ends I believe at the end of the pavement. The county prioritizes road repair projects (and other things like snow plowing) based on how many residents are affected. The caretakers at Goldmyr don't need to daily access for things like school, work or buying groceries. So I wouldn't expect the King County road department to jump on that repair as fast as they would if the blockage prevented 100 school aged kids from getting to school. As the county has done previously, I think they will wait until the probility of another large rain event is lower and the moisture saturated ground has dried out before they patch it up.

philfort
Stefan

Stefan
PostFri Mar 04, 2022 9:53 am 
I like the paved road. I remember when it was all potholed up. Massive potholes. Every year. Hell, I remember junked cars...a place where meth grew...lotsa shooting....more garbage....potholes....no plowing whatsoever....washouts with rocks over the road.....Those were the days!!! Now its pristine. What a pisser.

Art is an adventure.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Mar 04, 2022 11:02 am 
Stefan wrote:
lotsa shooting..
Yeah, compared to "the good olde days" that some are waxing about, the MF area is far more enjoyable now than back when the sound of gunfire was pervasive. I recall one river float in the early 90s, where after hearing rounds whizzing overhead, I observed numbnuts running around with a beer in one hand and a semi-auto rifle in the other. Personally I'm happy the road is paved and the county sheriff is more able to patrol the area. Also the paved road from the Middle School to Garfield ledges has become one of my favorite bike rides.

day_hike_mike, philfort, zimmertr
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostFri Mar 04, 2022 11:13 am 
Does that road ever get gated? That would be such a great place to ride if the cars were away temporarily. Like snow clearing season on a few roads.

Cyclopath
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Mar 04, 2022 11:19 am 
thunderhead wrote:
Does that road ever get gated? That would be such a great place to ride if the cars were away temporarily. Like snow clearing season on a few roads.
There isn't a gate, the county road crew seems to have a "road closed" barrier they can erect when needed. During the prior closure , a bit of a bike path developed off the right shoulder where two wheels were bypassing the closure. The photos of the current washout, look a bit more challenging to navigate than the last one. Might be too difficult for folks with motorcycles or heavy ebikes.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri Mar 04, 2022 1:12 pm 
The Goldmyer caretakers always have substantial food supplies for extended closures in the winter. Usually access is cut off by snow in January or February. In the past when a trip was necessary people have brought in supplies with snocats, motorcycles, quads, and sometimes even bicycles -- whatever works. The Goldmyer board communicates with the KC road personnel to coordinate getting past the closures (e.g. barriers with locks). The latest I heard is that King County is trying to speed up the repair of the road so it may happen sooner than one would normally expect. But as others said above -- this is one of the lowest priority road washouts from the recent storm. Randito -- I was able to carry my eBike around the washout last Tuesday (03/01). It was a little dicey on the rocky bank. Beyond that I had the whole paved road to myself and rode as far as Garfield wash and Oil Pan Creek (2 miles up the gravel road) to check them out. They came through the storm pretty well. There is no new substantial blowdown on the road at least that far.