Forum Index > Trail Talk > Madness down the Middle Fork
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
JPH

JPH
PostFri Mar 04, 2022 1:43 pm 
From the Goldmyer website: March 4, 2022: THE PROPERTY IS TEMPORARILY CLOSED DUE TO FLOODING ON THE ROAD. KING COUNTY IS BEGGINING REPAIRS THIS WEEK AND THE ROAD IS DUE TO BE OPEN BY MONDAY, MARCH 14TH. http://goldmyer.org/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
philfort

philfort
PostFri Mar 04, 2022 1:46 pm 
I'm always surprised how well the gravel section of the road survives big storms given the number of gullies that come down from Garfield onto it - I guess being well away from the river helps. And maybe also because that side of Garfield doesn't hold that much snow that can melt.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostFri Mar 04, 2022 2:22 pm 
Let's just rip the whole road out and replace it with a viaduct. There's a gap in my heart where the Alaska Way Viaduct used to be that needs filling.

Flickr | Strava

Cyclopath, flatsqwerl
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Mar 04, 2022 4:49 pm 
Randito wrote:
The county prioritizes road repair projects (and other things like snow plowing) based on how many residents are affected.
Not really. It's a bit more complicated than that and preserving mobility for residents or businesses is actually last on the priority list. Per the King County Road Services Division 2021-2022 Business Plan.
Quote:
Road Services allocates resources using a risk management approach that balances the likelihood, consequences, and costs of infrastructure failure and potential solutions to achieve the following desired outcomes (in priority order): 1) Protecting life safety 2) Preventing private property damage 3) Preventing asset damage 4) Preventing environmental damage 5) Preserving mobility In addition to operational risks, Roads assesses and mitigates regulatory compliance, reputational, and other business risks. Safety needs drive the agency’s budget, business plan, and daily operations. The 2021-2022 budget process applied a systematic assessment of road network safety and used a risk-based framework to determine how to allocate limited funding. Roads ranked projects using standardized criteria and rigorous technical analysis and selected and scheduled efforts based upon these rankings and available funding

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Mar 04, 2022 11:52 pm 
Tom wrote:
Randito wrote:
The county prioritizes road repair projects (and other things like snow plowing) based on how many residents are affected.
Not really. It's a bit more complicated than that and preserving mobility for residents or businesses is actually last on the priority list. Per the King County Road Services Division 2021-2022 Business Plan.
Quote:
Road Services allocates resources using a risk management approach that balances the likelihood, consequences, and costs of infrastructure failure and potential solutions to achieve the following desired outcomes (in priority order): 1) Protecting life safety 2) Preventing private property damage 3) Preventing asset damage 4) Preventing environmental damage 5) Preserving mobility In addition to operational risks, Roads assesses and mitigates regulatory compliance, reputational, and other business risks. Safety needs drive the agency’s budget, business plan, and daily operations. The 2021-2022 budget process applied a systematic assessment of road network safety and used a risk-based framework to determine how to allocate limited funding. Roads ranked projects using standardized criteria and rigorous technical analysis and selected and scheduled efforts based upon these rankings and available funding
Sure all of those are good goals and for any particular road maintenance project will also be factored based on the volume of usage. A road that sees thousands of vehicles per day is going to be fixed faster than one that sees a few dozen vehicles per day.

timberghost

timberghost
PostSat Mar 05, 2022 7:28 am 
Therefore my guess of when the road will open is March 14th

ChinookPass

ChinookPass
PostSat Mar 05, 2022 8:29 am 
I cycled up to the roadblock yesterday and saw a half dozen gravel trucks parading by so there must be some work underway.

thunderhead, Cyclopath, Randito, Now I Fly, zimmertr
jakedouglas

jakedouglas
PostSun Mar 06, 2022 5:30 pm 
Sunday 3/6

Now I Fly, zimmertr
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostSun Mar 06, 2022 8:11 pm 
Great! Have the closer barricades been removed?

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun Mar 06, 2022 8:44 pm 
Now I Fly wrote:
Great! Have the closer barricades been removed?
Nope. The barricades are still up at the closure point. I took my bicycle down there this morning. Parked at the Oxbow Loop Trail parking and biked up to the closure and beyond to the overflowed creek. I was expecting to see that creek running down the road below the talus. Also expecting to weigh the option of carrying my bike over the talus like Monty did a few days ago. But much to my surprise the creek overflow had been repaired! I biked on to the Garfield Ledges Picnic area and had lunch. I only saw three other folks hiking along the way. It was awesome to bike that section without vehicles during this brief window. Such a great ride. ~z

Now I Fly
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Mar 07, 2022 7:55 am 
The Goldmyer site indicates a reopen target of 3/14 http://www.goldmyer.org/

ChanceShowers

ChanceShowers
PostMon Mar 07, 2022 10:15 am 
zephyr, what was the state of the parking lot at the Middle Fork trailhead? Was it free of snow back there?

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Mar 07, 2022 10:44 am 
ChanceShowers wrote:
zephyr, what was the state of the parking lot at the Middle Fork trailhead? Was it free of snow back there?
To be honest I only threw a quick glance over that way. But if my impression is correct it appeared to be cleared for parking. ~z

ChanceShowers
timberghost

timberghost
PostMon Mar 07, 2022 3:45 pm 
Now that the word is out dizzy.gif

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Mar 09, 2022 9:53 pm 
I got news that the Middle Fork road repairs were completed enough to open the road tonight (Wed, March 9). I haven't verified that myself, but I think it's reliable. There is a little finish work to be done but the County will be back to do that later. [Edit to add photo]
Repaired washout. Taken 03/11/2022.
Repaired washout. Taken 03/11/2022.
The barricades are gone and at the washout, it's almost like it never happened. Except the drainage above the road is still changed. This should last until the next high water event in the fall. It's possible the creek will change course again, but in a more beneficial way.

Mid Fork Rocksflickr

Now I Fly