Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Road Trips, EVs, & Range Anxiety Questions
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostFri Mar 11, 2022 9:11 am 
Washington State will not be providing an EV rebate anytime soon. https://www.nwpb.org/2022/02/25/wa-legislature-sends-proposed-7500-electric-car-rebates-to-junkyard/ Having been a subaru owner for many years, I will admit to some brand bias. The subaru Solterra is supposed to get 220 miles on a single charge. The farthest we drive for a day hike is to the Teanaway. From our home near Redmond, that is about a 200 mile round trip. So doing that without at least some charging might be anxiety inducing. For us a bigger issue might be equipping the garage with a level 2 charger could be pricey. We have a 200 amp service with the electric panel in the house. The garage is detached and on a 20 amp breaker with a buried power line. Interestingly, the panel has an unused 60 amp breaker. We think it sent power to a barn that was long gone when we moved here years ago. On the other hand, it could be that level 1 charging would work fine for us. After all, my wife is retired and I have worked at home for many years. Most of our driving consists of local errands and driving somewhere for a day hike.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostFri Mar 11, 2022 9:53 am 
Joey wrote:
Washington State will not be providing an EV rebate anytime soon.
Dang! Maybe $10 gas will provide similar incentive.
Joey wrote:
On the other hand, it could be that level 1 charging would work fine for us.
That's what I've been wondering. How much of my day is spent actually driving, 1-2% on average? And occasionally stopping by a charger in Cle Elum or Winthrop before or after a hike doesn't sound like the end of the world.

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostFri Mar 11, 2022 11:00 am 
I learned a bit more about the subaru Solterra. Last month subaru opened a process whereby you could pay $250 (fully refundable) and 'reserve' a Solterra with pricing to be determined. That reservation process has now closed. I am assuming that means all the Solterras dealers expect to get for who knows how long, have waiting buyers.

iron

iron
PostFri Mar 11, 2022 1:58 pm 
Joey wrote:
Washington State will not be providing an EV rebate anytime soon. https://www.nwpb.org/2022/02/25/wa-legislature-sends-proposed-7500-electric-car-rebates-to-junkyard/ Having been a subaru owner for many years, I will admit to some brand bias. The subaru Solterra is supposed to get 220 miles on a single charge. The farthest we drive for a day hike is to the Teanaway. From our home near Redmond, that is about a 200 mile round trip. So doing that without at least some charging might be anxiety inducing. For us a bigger issue might be equipping the garage with a level 2 charger could be pricey. We have a 200 amp service with the electric panel in the house. The garage is detached and on a 20 amp breaker with a buried power line. Interestingly, the panel has an unused 60 amp breaker. We think it sent power to a barn that was long gone when we moved here years ago. On the other hand, it could be that level 1 charging would work fine for us. After all, my wife is retired and I have worked at home for many years. Most of our driving consists of local errands and driving somewhere for a day hike.
we use level 1 charging on our car and it works pretty well. occasionally, we need level 2 in town, but that's normally for a 1-2 hour top off to reduce the deficit. i think, but haven't looked, that PSE or others have significant credits/refunds for installing level 2 chargers. alternatively, some people use their dryer outlet, if it's nearby, and just swap things out when needed. with a 220 mile range, you will not be able to do RT for a 200 mile trip to the mountains. you can probably find a fast charge on i-90 that'll give you another 90 miles in 30 minutes, so you could do this on the way back home while grabbing a bit to eat.

kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Jun 06, 2022 10:55 am 
We are getting our sea legs (EV wheels?) under us in terms of hiking and traveling in our new-ish EV. It may be because the novelty hasn't worn off yet, but I think it is delightful when I can combine charging with a nice walk or hike. I'd be interested to know if others are finding good spots for this. The best example of this that I've found is the speedy level 2 charger at the Inn at Mazama--it's free to the public, and it charged at 46 amps. We did the Spokane Gulch hike from there, which, though I've been going to Mazama regularly for decades, I'd never done. A person could also walk or bike the community trail from there, or just get a little juice while going to the Mazama Store and taking a walk around the big meadow. Big props to the Inn for their generosity. This trip was the first time we plugged into a regular outlet (at the cabin we rent) and I was happy to see that we get 3 mph there.
We topped off at Newhalem on the way, because we weren't sure we were going to be able to charge at the cabin at all, and were happy to find free 70 amp chargers. It was a nice break for our dog to take the Trail of the Cedars, which I'd never walked, while we got a little juice. We got free Electrify America (and EVgo) charging with our car purchase, and have become semi-regulars at the chargers at the Mount Vernon Walmart and Aberdeen Walmart on trips to the islands and coast. On Orcas Island there's a free (with a donation box) charger at the airport. It's between some historic apple trees and the biplane rides which I think is cute for its juxtaposition of old and new. We always use the dog park which is about a 10 minute walk away, so it works perfectly. You can also walk to a small public access beach on the north shore. It's not too far to walk back into Eastsound for a meal from there. I do look forward to more lodgings having a 240v outlet where we can charge up overnight though. For most of our trips, that would negate the need to stop anywhere.

iron

iron
PostMon Jun 06, 2022 7:35 pm 
kiliki wrote:
I do look forward to more lodgings having a 240v outlet where we can charge up overnight though. For most of our trips, that would negate the need to stop anywhere.
thanks for the info on hwy 20. we are planning a short trip back to WA this summer with the EV and were hoping hwy 20 could work. looking at plugshare, it's certainly a death zone there. did you find that the 70amp service was akin to DC charging (i.e. fast charging)? i wouldn't be able to do hwy 20 from canada because i'm not seeing a fast charge option there.
filtered for fast charging stations
filtered for fast charging stations
it's striking to me to see the contrast between canada's planning and the US's. i know it's not a federal thing, but just looking at the spacing of these stations is really surprising.

kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Jun 06, 2022 8:17 pm 
iron wrote:
did you find that the 70amp service was akin to DC charging (i.e. fast charging)?
All the DC fast charging I've done was Electrify America at 150 so no, it wasn't as fast. But it was faster than other level 2 I've used. Highway 20 is closed 5 or so months each year, and the communities on either side of the closure are small, so I suspect it's been a low priority for charger installation. Hopefully we'll get some there from the Biden infrastructure bill money. It's up to the states as to where they put them. Winthrop seems like a natural location and I was surprised there weren't even any public level 2s in town.

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostWed Jun 08, 2022 3:49 pm 
We bought a RAV4 PRIME (PHEV) that has a max charge rate of 16A on a level2 charger and have never charged anywhere but home. For trips our plan was to use hybrid mode and just gas-up when we need it unless there was a convenient way to charge where we are staying. I would hate to consume a charge station if there was an EV waiting who could charge much more efficiently and had no alternative fuel. But if there was nobody else around it would be convenient to charge up while we stop somewhere for a bite to eat so I tempted to give it a try sometime. Thoughts? Reactions? I am just looking for some feedback since I have no idea how busy the charge stations get or how challenging it is for EV owners to find a refill.

neek

neek
PostWed Jun 08, 2022 4:00 pm 
Bowregard wrote:
Thoughts? Reactions? I am just looking for some feedback since I have no idea how busy the charge stations get or how challenging it is for EV owners to find a refill.
Doesn't it take 2.5hr to top that one off with level2? Almost seems not worth the bother to me. At best you might save a couple bucks, while potentially annoying someone with a pure EV who came along. I thought one of the big points of PHEV was you could skip the public charging stations. But I don't have one, so can't speak from experience.

kiliki

kiliki
PostWed Jun 08, 2022 4:10 pm 
That's what I would think too--that it wouldn't be worth my time to stop at a public charger given how slow it sounds like your PHEV would charge. I would still plug in to a rental cabin, though, even if it just had a 110 outlet--why not? Or maybe if there were abundant chargers and you were going to be parked there anyway. We had lunch at Seabrook when staying at Iron Springs recently and were thrilled to find a whole row of level 2 chargers. They did cost a few bucks (I think $2). If you have the Plugshare app, you can leave a comment when you are charging--and I see this regularly--that says something like, "feel free to unplug me if you need it/when I am at 100%." Those are people who have plugged in and wandered off. Or there is just staying at your car and seeing if anyone else pulls up. That seems to be what most of us do at Electrify America, aside from using the restroom in the Walmart.

Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Jun 08, 2022 4:40 pm 
I use level 2 chargers all the time when I'm going to be parked for a couple of hours at a grocery store, for example. When I find an Electrify America station there are usually a couple of 350kW chargers that top me off in no time at all. Usually I can't wander from the car at those because they are so fast.

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostWed Jun 08, 2022 6:04 pm 
neek wrote:
Doesn't it take 2.5hr to top that one off with level2?
2.5 hrs is for the loaded version (faster charger) - Ours would take 4.5 hrs for a full charge. That's why I am reluctant to take up a spot. But even an hour would be worth it if we were stopping for a meal and weren't impacting anybody. I know for those with EVs it probably sounds like a waste but with our driving profile these days it makes a lot of sense. It is our primary vehicle and we have had it since last August and only put less than 40 gallons of gas in it.

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostWed Jun 08, 2022 6:14 pm 
There is a EV charger - I believe it to be free, haven’t looked closely - at Twispworks in Twisp. Twispworks is the name of the campus housing a bunch of artists, craft shops, etc that is the old Twisp Ranger station. Charger is little hard to see. It is located on the NW corner of larger warehouse structure that is to the right side of the buildings as you drive in. Right across the parking lot from the taproom of the Old Schoolhouse Brewery. handy!

CS

CS
PostThu Jun 16, 2022 12:34 pm 
catsp wrote:
A Pickup Truck Driver Stops To Unplug a Random Tesla.
White collar folks at companies do the equivalent with technology all the time too… it’s why we have startups.

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostThu Jun 16, 2022 1:55 pm 
https://www.kbb.com/car-news/first-ford-f-150-lightnings-come-with-tesla-charging-cable/ "The first F-150 Lightnings have begun reaching customer driveways. They’re coming with an unexpected gift from Ford – an adapter that lets a Lightning recharge a Tesla." A good idea. Electric vehicles should be able to share charges similar to helping someone out with a jump-start. Plus the truck driver gets to brag about rescuing a Tesla.

CS