Forum Index > Gear Talk > Zpacks solo tents in the alpine
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
eh

eh
PostFri Mar 04, 2022 9:43 pm 
Going to pick up a Plex Solo. Most of my trips spend some nights in alpine/possible high winds. Anyone have experience with Zpacks tents as to comment in general on their function in these environments? Most specifically, I need to decide between .55 and .75 oz/sqyd canopy fabric. TIA, Ethan

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Mar 06, 2022 12:08 pm 
I have been using a plexamid for a couple years now. It is listed at 16 oz. but by the time you add 11 stakes and a ground cloth (plus a stake or two for that) the trail weight is 27 oz. It holds up well in the wind, in fact they are best used with a bit of wind. Otherwise you can get a lot of condensation, even with both doors open. I am not sure there is much practical difference between the canopy fabrics. Even Zpacks themselves say the heavier fabric is mostly selected by thru hikers that use them for months on end.

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostWed Mar 09, 2022 5:24 am 
I've got a .34 oz DCF tarp that held up to some fairly harsh wind & rain last Sep ~ 6k so based on that I would think .55 would be just fine. In high wind you're going to want to find a sheltered spot anyway with that Plex Solo design.