Forum Index > Food & Grub > No cook powdered eggs
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Alpendave

Alpendave
PostSun Mar 13, 2022 8:11 am 
I know you can get them in those pouch meals (Mountain House, etc) where all you do is add hot water, seal it, and wait a little bit before eating it right out of the pouch, but they all seem to have sausage or bacon and I prefer not to eat meat and definitely don’t do pork. Does anyone have experience with just getting regular powdered eggs from the store and rehydrating them with boiling water? I use a short Hydroflask thermos for my hot meals. It holds the heat in very well. I just prefer NOT to use my pot for anything other than boiling water. Saves fuel and keeps the pot clean. If I could find meatless eggs that could “cook” by just adding boiling water, that would be great.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Windstorm

Windstorm
PostMon Mar 14, 2022 6:32 pm 
I'd be wary of using regular powdered eggs in a no-cook option. I think they're often uncooked before being dried and will probably act more like raw eggs when reconstituted. Even with boiling water, I bet the texture would be weird. What you're probably looking for is freeze-dried scrambled eggs. Using Google, I was able to find a couple of options that didn't have meat, but they weren't from companies I'm particularly familiar with, so I'll leave specific recommendations to others.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Mar 14, 2022 8:32 pm 
Yes, the powdered ones are basically just dehydrated raw eggs. Costco sold them (WildRoots brand) a while back. Per this review, sounds like they taste OK if you cook them. http://www.commanderzero.com/?p=6625 I still have some I bought from Costco years ago but we've only used them in recipes when we are out of eggs. They performed ok but I'm somewhat wary to use them years later not knowing if they could be spoiled or just the way they are before cooking.

rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostTue Mar 15, 2022 10:34 am 
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSun Mar 20, 2022 2:32 pm 
The Backpacking Chef does eggs by combining scrambled eggs with cooked polenta/corn meal, which helps in the rehydration process. Although I've not tried this, his other ideas generally work out very well, so probably worth a try (scroll down almost to the bottom or just search for "eggs"): https://www.backpackingchef.com/backpacking-breakfasts.html

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSat Mar 26, 2022 2:37 am 
I found this Freeze Dried Fully Cooked Scrambled Eggs just today. They seem to be affiliated with Amazon. Other than that I know absolutely nothing about he company or the products. The name of the company is Freeze Dry Wholesalers and they have an About page. Anyway, I will likely be buying "something" from them just to check them out. If and when I do I will report about it here in the food forum. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSat Mar 26, 2022 11:27 am 
Interesting. The picture certainly makes it look good. A bit pricey at about $2/serving. Looking forward to reading your review.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostFri Sep 16, 2022 9:06 pm 
Might get a powder bite with these.