Forum Index > Trail Talk > Spring 2022 More trail head break ins.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Apr 28, 2022 9:39 pm 
Here are three reports from WTA this week of break ins along the I-90 corridor and Middle Fork. Photos included. First one is from Tuesday, April 26 from a hiker who went up Mt. Washington via Twin Falls parking area. When he returned he found the sheriff and an arson inspector at his car which had the interior torched. Next is from a Mailbox Peak hiker today, April 28 who reported 7 cars in the upper lot with their windows smashed even though they appeared to be empty of enticements. Next one is also from Mailbox Peak, same story. ********************* Here's an idea. Maybe keep this thread free of all the old stories and anecdotes about previous break ins 30 years ago and the discussions on crime in general, using bait cars, junkers, video cameras, etc., etc. Folks can talk about that on this enduring thread. Instead we could use this thread just to report the where and when of these incidents. This would be like a weather report or avy forecast. Just use it to keep an eye on where the latest hot spots are and such. It might be of some slight use in trip planning. ~z

Songs2, day_hike_mike  HikingBex
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Apr 29, 2022 9:26 am 
This almost seems like:
But it seems like it could also be a case of someone pissed about trailhead crowding and wanting to discourage people from hiking at Mailbox. In the '80s a friend of mine owned a house close to Aurora ave in North Seattle. Break ins where so bad at that time there that, he had to leave the windows rolled down and the drivers door open while was parked in his driveway to avoid further damage to his car. He also had a large hardened bike lock type chain securing the battery.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Apr 29, 2022 9:47 am 
So of course randito immediately posts all the stupid useless crap you asked to not be posted to this thread. shakehead.gif At least we know he read your post! ykm.gif

MultiUser, hikerman
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Apr 29, 2022 1:33 pm 
Sure why not? The best way to avoid break ins is to go down a long and rough road, thieves like crowded TH's that are close to the main road. I also leave a few dollars in change to hopefully pacify them a bit. Yes, windows down, nothing of real value inside, that's about all one can do. Also hide or carry with you your vehicle registration.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Celticclimber

Celticclimber
PostSat Apr 30, 2022 9:55 am 
Here's what I do. It has always made sense to me to just leave the truck unlocked and the windows down. Afterall: If they want to get in, they will. Insurance will not pay for the broken window. Nor the stuff they take. So you might as well let them in to rummage around. 'cause. Driving home in the rain, with a busted window is just going to add to the suckiness of it all.

Live every day like you will die to-marrow. For some day that will be true.
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSat Apr 30, 2022 11:11 am 
Not a break in specifically, but be careful around Humpback: https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/trip_report-2022-04-30-7701087426

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSat Apr 30, 2022 4:46 pm 
Another one: Cougar Mountain

philfort

philfort
PostSat Apr 30, 2022 5:32 pm 
Ok now it just sounds like someone breaking windows for the fun of it (or they are part of Big Glass) and not trying to steal anything...

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Apr 30, 2022 9:20 pm 
So this is all wanton vandalism, at lots close to the interstate. Sounds like perfect locations for stakeouts by LE, trailcams to ID perps & their vehicles, etc. What would it take to get regular LE or FS people to do it?

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Bramble_Scramble

Bramble_Scramble
PostSat Apr 30, 2022 10:41 pm 
I'm not sure if I'm remembering this right but wasn't there a case a while back where LE set up a bait car and was able to charge them with theft of government property? Years back we met either a Ranger or a Sheriff, can't remember which, who had been camping just outside of the Lake Serene parking lot waiting for prowlers.

altasnob

altasnob
PostSun May 01, 2022 7:24 am 
Anne Elk wrote:
What would it take to get regular LE or FS people to do it?
If enough people bug the King County Sheriff, they would do it. You have to be persistent. They will point out that it's USFS land so it's their problem. But the USFS has no budget and the federal government is mostly inept. If anyone is going to set up a sting op, it would be the King County Sheriff (maybe the Washington State Patrol). Both agencies have arrest power at these trailheads. In the grand scheme of things, these crimes are minor property crimes and the Sheriff will contend they have more important things to do. The sheriff was an elected position, but recently switched to appointment by King County Council. But the county council is elected. So bug the Sheriff and also the County Council. Specifically, these trailhead break ins are mostly in District 9 and 3 (see contact info below). So if enough people are pissed about this, and make their frustrations known so that it becomes a campaign issue, you will see movement. And I wouldn't even bother with contacting the local sheriff office. It has to come from the top, the head Sheriff and/or County Council. These are the finalists for King County sheriff Sarah Perry District 3 206-477-1003 sarah.perry@kingcounty.gov Reagan Dunn Council Vice Chair, District 9 206-477-1009 reagan.dunn@kingcounty.gov

Songs2

Songs2
PostSun May 01, 2022 5:49 pm 
Zephyr, To your original point,
zephyr wrote:
we could use this thread just to report the where and when of these incidents.
this might work better if made a sticky by Tom.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun May 01, 2022 9:06 pm 
Songs2 wrote:
this might work better if made a sticky by Tom.
Thanks, I'll put in a request. ~z

Snowdog

Snowdog
PostMon May 02, 2022 11:39 am 
I am prepared to get teased wink.gif , but I was wondering about all those car alarms going off at once? 7+ at Mailbox, more at Cougar Mtn? Wouldn't someone hear all that? Or perhaps it is a case of no one around to hear?

'we don't have time for a shortcut'
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon May 02, 2022 12:42 pm 
"IF" I could still drive Id think about putting up temporary trail cams looking at my car every time I left my car. If thats not good enough, leave a designated sniper covering every parking lot!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln

moonspots