Forum Index > Trail Talk > Spring 2022: Solutions to Trail head break ins. Are there any?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon May 02, 2022 9:37 pm 
Randito is right -- the path goes right by the cabin without easy ways around it, especially in the dark. The caretaker heard them from the loft bedroom and yelled at them through a window. Nothing I heard indicated alcohol was involved, but maybe. BTW, Goldmyer rules prohibit alcohol in the Hot Springs area. You can use in moderation in your campsite if you're camping. Of course, not everyone follows rules but it also helps to keep glass away from the springs if they sneak it in via water bottles.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Luc

Luc
PostMon May 02, 2022 10:22 pm 
I just carry comprehensive insurance and expect to get new stuff if that ever happens.

GNGSTR

Cyclopath
altasnob

altasnob
PostTue May 03, 2022 6:58 am 
Moved from other thread where people were asking for what punishment the serial car thieves in Rainier park received: You can look up anyone's Washington State court history at Washington Courts. I plugged in David Spain, who has a long list of court cases. He had a felony charge in King County in 2005, then nothing until Black Diamond Muni in 2011. Then he he had cases in Spokane in 2013, 2017, and consistently since then. The search does not distinguish criminal cases from traffic tickets, or other court cases like divorce or personal injury lawsuits. It also only includes Washington cases, and not crimes prosecuted in Federal Court (which is what it appears happened to Mr. Spain after the Rainier car thefts case). So I am totally speculating, and I can't guarantee it's the same David Spain, but appears he did a prison stint from roughly 2005 to 2011 and another from 2013 to 2017. I say this just because there are no cases for these periods. All his recent cases have been from Tri-Cities area.

Anne Elk
altasnob

altasnob
PostTue May 03, 2022 6:59 am 
Note, the maximum penalty for the highest property crimes in Washington (like Theft 1st or Theft of Motor Vehicle) is ten years. And while the prosecutors have some power to impose consecutive sentences, the default is concurrent. And you get a third off your prison sentence in good time. So a person could get caught stealing 30 cars in a weeks span and would only do 6 years 8 months of actual jail time. And the first few times a person gets caught they would be offered drug court or drug offender sentencing alternative and avoid prison time in exchange for more rigorous drug treatment. Personally, I really like the drug court model. It's the most intensive, hands on program and requires you to chat with the judge, in person, on a weekly basis. You also waive privacy rights and probation can enter your home at any time and can demand a drug test at any time. But it only works for some people.

Anne Elk
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu May 05, 2022 9:09 pm 
That happened at Beaver Lake trailhead to a Deputy's son and nothing much happened, that I recall.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Seattle_Wayne

Seattle_Wayne
PostFri May 06, 2022 6:56 am 
schifferj wrote:
Chief Joseph wrote:
I think it would be fun to catch some in the act and with a friend or two, open up on them with paint ball guns.
Problem with that is that said thieves might return fire with real weapons.
Which has been happening. There have been several situations where the thieves/vandals/whatever have returned fire with firearms and or OC spray. Imagine walking up to your vehicle while someone is actively breaking into it while you're conceal carrying/open carrying and you get hit with OC. That is a deadly force situation and you better be able to draw and pull the trigger if you'd like to save your own life.

Vesper Peak
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri May 06, 2022 8:53 am 
idea of volunteers wrote:
I think the lot attendant thing would be awesome, I suppose on a mostly volunteer basis.
It would indeed be awesome; great idea. But who will volunteer? USFS has tried to get volunteers at trailheads - as information hosts- which I think would be a deterrent to crime for a few hours until the volunteers leave for the day not to return until the following Saturday, if more volunteers show up. Several years ago, two people stepped up when the USFS tried to develop a trail head host program. And of those, only one volunteered a 2nd time. That was it. no more volunteers after that. Year after year, the USFS puts a call out for volunteer wilderness rangers - backpack all you want, where ever you want. Year after year. not a lot of people step up. And that's a fun gig! Same with the Weed Watchers program - backpack and hike all you want, and map out any invasives you find and report back. I don't think that program even exists any more. That's how many people stepped up hmmm.gif (I'm one who only did one or two trips and didn't keep up, so.....I'm a contributor to laziness on that one). Which brings us to this trail head idea: are any NWHikers willing to spend a fine summer day at a hot, buggy trail head watching hiker after hiker go on their way to the mountains while you sit at the parking lot watching dogs poo and people scratch their stomachs and armpits or adjust their makeup and yoga pants before taking a selfie when they get out of their car? If so, will you do it more than once? At a dumb, boring trail head like Blanca? or Mailbox or Tiger? (if you can get DNR on board with a program) You'd be under the agency of the USFS. Even if you're a group of self-established volunteers. There will be a training session, rules, a sign up sheet, and a list of do's and don't's - one of those rules being no contact - only to radio in if you see something suspicious. The USFS will not allow any volunteer under their agency be placed in a potentially dangerous situation. So you would be a host. Pass out pamphlets, talk about wilderness regulations, get hikers to fill out their trailhead permits where required. That's what you'd be doing; not strutting around with a tire iron or a bat threating bad guys (which would probably be the only thing that would get a lot of volunteers to sign up!) Some might say " hell yeah! i'll volunteer!" now, but when it comes down to it - will you, really? My experience says no. But my experience was several years ago, perhaps things are different now. Prove me wrong, please! A person or group could be a vigilante volunteers, maybe. But you'd probably be eventually be told by those in authority that you can't do that. Lots of good ideas; it would take a lot of work, and it will likely be somewhat unappreciated, hopefully only by a few blighters. Just a look at NWHikers is testament to that.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert

ChinookPass, kiliki, neek
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri May 06, 2022 10:03 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
So you would be a host. Pass out pamphlets, talk about wilderness regulations, get hikers to fill out their trailhead permits where required. That's what you'd be doing.
Thanks for adding your experience to this discussion. Adds more reality to the situation. By any chance were you such a volunteer up at the Commonwealth Basin/Kendall Katwalk/PCT trail head once? I recall some folks up there maybe 10 or so years ago, some in FS shirts, etc. They seemed to be hanging out in the parking lot. And a gal approached me asking about my NW Forest pass and how I was displaying it. I've always thought it might have been you. haha ~z

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri May 06, 2022 10:07 am 
zephyr wrote:
Thanks for adding your experience to this discussion. Adds more reality to the situation. By any chance were you such a volunteer up at the Commonwealth Basin/Kendall Katwalk/PCT trail head once? I recall some folks up there maybe 10 or so years ago, some in FS shirts, etc. They seemed to be hanging out in the parking lot. And a gal approached me asking about my NW Forest pass and how I was displaying it. I've always thought it might have been you. haha ~z
Most problems that haven't been solved, haven't been solved because they aren't simple.

kiliki
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri May 06, 2022 10:22 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
Most problems that haven't been solved, haven't been solved because they aren't simple.
Not sure I get this. Are you saying that we should not try? Should we accept this price of vandalism because the solutions are too difficult? I think the least we can do is keep publishing these events and keeping folks aware of the dangers of certain trail heads--hopefully not all. ~z

altasnob

altasnob
PostFri May 06, 2022 10:37 am 
I've been doing a lot of camping at trailheads in recent years to make it easier to hike with my kids the next day. And I've noticed I am not the only one in the popular places like Cascade Pass, or Monte Christo/Barlow Pass. I mainly trailhead camp on the weekends. So not sure we need trailhead volunteers at the popular places at the popular times (weekends, peak summer) because there are already people hanging out at the trailhead day and night. I assume these break ins are occurring at the less popular times, at less popular trailheads. The only time I was a victim of trail head break in was on a Wednesday after work at Lake 22 in July. I was only gone from my car from about 6 pm to 8 pm, but that was enough time for the thieves to smash my windows as well as about five other cars.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri May 06, 2022 10:41 am 
zephyr wrote:
Not sure I get this. Are you saying that we should not try? Should we accept this price of vandalism because the solutions are too difficult? I think the least we can do is keep publishing these events and keeping folks aware of the dangers of certain trail heads--hopefully not all. ~z
Do you think there's a solution that we're capable of, but people have just been too lazy and dumb to think of it until now? We're all good people, if we could realistically stop hikers from being victimized we already would have. I'm not telling you not to talk about it, I'm reminding people not to have unreasonable expectations. The problem with the trailhead host idea is that hundreds or thousands of hikers don't want to spend $50 in gas and 3 hours driving every weekend to spend their day in a parking lot. There are so many trailheads that a volunteer presence at one of them for one day is not a solution to trailhead crime.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri May 06, 2022 11:12 am 
altasnob wrote:
So not sure we need trailhead volunteers at the popular places at the popular times (weekends, peak summer) because there are already people hanging out at the trailhead day and night.
Very good point.
Cyclopath wrote:
Do you think there's a solution that we're capable of, but people have just been too lazy and dumb to think of it until now? We're all good people, if we could realistically stop hikers from being victimized we already would have.
Regarding a solution: No, I don't have one. And maybe there isn't one yet. I guess I am concerned that if there isn't some sort of push-back that things will get even worse. ~z

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri May 06, 2022 11:30 am 
zephyr wrote:
By any chance were you such a volunteer up at the Commonwealth Basin/Kendall Katwalk/PCT trail head once?
Nope, I do Skykomish District. And even if asked to discuss placement of the NWFP, I probably wouldn't have chatted about that anyway. I get distracted and end up chatting about hiking, maps, the bloomin' flowers, their cute doggie, snacks..... Which doesn't do a damn bit of good if a person were ticketed for not displaying the NWFP correctly - which makes me a lousy volunteer at a trail head. But hey, showing up is half the battle. I like the USFS staff and want to help out, yet I get lazy , and don't sign up so I can't imagine a lot of NWHikers, many who really don't care for the USFS, clamoring to volunteer. But many others might, if given another chance. Three years ago the highway was undergoing closures for repair and I decided against battling the commute to Sky. The last couple of years the volunteer programs were put on hold due to COVID. Haven't heard if the vol program is a go this year; if so, I will volunteer. I really like Skykomish staff.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri May 06, 2022 11:38 am 
altasnob wrote:
I was only gone from my car from about 6 pm to 8 pm, but that was enough time for the thieves to smash my windows as well as about five other cars.
Exactly what i had discussed about volunteers being a deterrent - until they leave the trail head. Volunteers would have access to a radio, which radio operation shuts down at a particular time each evening. So if a volunteer were working under the agency of the agency, the volunteer would have to stop volunteering when the radio operation isn't being manned. And in the off-season, there's no radio command at all. So right now, for instance. And after Labor Day.