Forum Index > Trail Talk > Are there really bots on recreation.gov?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Jan 26, 2023 9:51 am 
Luc wrote:
Didn't read thread, too frustrated. There has to be bots. I've been hosed EVERY time, sitting at the computer from 645a till 7a, pressing refresh, every few seconds only to finally press at 659....659:15......659:16....:17.... all the way to 659:59.....then at 700......site taken. This has happened EVERY TIME. I'm hella pissed. Has to be bots.
Other people like hiking too. There are 350,000,000 people in this country. You've seen trailhead parking overflow for miles in every direction and you know bots don't drive to Maple Pass.

hbb
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Luc

Luc
PostThu Jan 26, 2023 12:15 pm 
How bout this: If you use Ticketmaster and you've already seen Taylor Swift 14 times, and they know it, maybe let some other people get in for the show? Especially if your opportunity to get a ticket has literally been .25 seconds. That window goes by pretty quickly. Maybe we should switch to the good old days where we put the land line phone on speaker, and used auto-redial for 3hrs to finally get to a salesperson and score tickets to the 1993 Soundgarden concert. Of course these analogies are for performances, but you get the point. Enchantments hosers (people who get hosed every time) know what I mean.

GNGSTR

dylpickle
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Jan 26, 2023 12:59 pm 
Luc wrote:
How bout this: If you use Ticketmaster and you've already seen Taylor Swift 14 times
"I'm not getting what I want so it can only be bots" still doesn't make sense no matter how many times you've seen her sing. You could have been to 1,400 of her concerts, and other people still like hiking too.

Luc

Luc
PostThu Jan 26, 2023 1:58 pm 
I'm not taking about bots anymore. I'm saying two main things: If persons A and B apply, or are doing the same thing to acquire a certain permit or campsite 15 times over a period of time, and person A is awarded 15 permits, and person B is awarded zero permits, then to me there's something broken there. Then, specifically with recreation.gov on non-lottery reservations, funneling say 50 people to a time period between 7:00am and 7:00.15s to see which person's browser refreshes or is more accurate to GMT/EST is also a poor system and leads to one person being awarded a reservation and persons 2 through 50 losing out on not only that reservation, but also all the others they were interested in that were also released for availability between 7:00am and 7:00.15s. I'm not at all complaining that one person/party is awarded a permit or reservation for a certain time, I'm fussing about how much of a time and planning drain this is for who I consider "all the others that like hiking," as you put it, who aren't offered anything other than, "go back to the drawing board." If Denny's can figure out how to do a wait list, then maybe recreation.gov can figure out how to manage supply and demand to at least prioritize applicants who are repeatedly declined, or design a system that doesn't funnel everyone down through a 15s reservation opening for all opportunities on a given day.

GNGSTR

KidCormorant
KidCormorant

KidCormorant
PostThu Jan 26, 2023 2:45 pm 
Luc, Which reservation system are you specifically talking about? The six-month rolling window system causes lots of unnecessary disappointment. For ONP, popular sites open daily but have already been filled in previously booked trips. The system allows you to book multi-day trips, eating into future quota availability. Example: You want a spot at Lunch Lake. Every morning at 7am, availability will be zero, regardless of the day. A few days prior someone has already selected a less popular site, lets say Canyon Creek. Because they're doing a multi-day trip, they then have access to future quotas. Their three night trip of Canyon Creek/Deer Lake/Lunch Lake has already eliminated the more sought after spot of Lunch Lake two days before its "release date". I don't think bots are booking sites either, peoples willingness to stay at less popular sites are. ONP is moving away from the six-month rolling window reservation system this year, instead moving to the single release date similar to MRNP and NCNP. Then you'll only have one day of disappointment instead of 60 wink.gif It's unfortunately just supply and demand. I guess the other option is a lottery system for those more popular sites. Same odds, but maybe less stress?

reststep

reststep
PostThu Jan 26, 2023 3:50 pm 
Found the answer to my own question. I was wondering if they were going to have walk up permits this year for the enchantments. Quote from forest service webpage: “The walk-up lottery at the Leavenworth Ranger Station is suspended for the 2023 season until further notice. Walk-up quota will be released back into the recreation.gov reservation system on Sundays, one week at a time. Thank you for your patience and flexibility during this crisis. We will continue to reevaluate and will resume the walk-up lottery when it is safe to do so.“

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostThu Jan 26, 2023 5:07 pm 
reststep wrote:
We will continue to reevaluate and will resume the walk-up lottery when it is safe to do so.“
Or when they staff to do so. Luc, I've been there twice - once pre permit and once walk-up - and I don't plan to enter the lottery anytime in the near future. So, you can have my space!

Luc

Luc
PostThu Jan 26, 2023 9:52 pm 
I'm talking about recreation.gov and actually not really referring to the enchantments. I mentioned the enchantments because I know a lot of people can relate to having ideas on how it could be better. What I'm currently doing is designing a 2mo road trip around the west like I've done for the past 7 years or so. That's hard to do in and of itself, but I usually succeed and endure a lot of frustration and headaches during the planning process, mostly because of this. I like to hit popular spots, first come areas, dispersed, remote, with some backpacking sprinkled in. So a variety. In my plans, the reservations are checkered throughout the summer so that I have some places that are guaranteed. I use these spots for recreating of course, but also to get organized before the next leg or a backpacking segment. I wish recreation.gov would provide some trip planning tools - kind of like how the enchantments lottery works. You have a hierarchy of places and dates, and the system selects for you. Then you can either take it or leave it. At this point, I'd rather be able to get something close to what I'm hoping for from a list, rather than nothing because it forces you to focus on one spot for one date(s) meanwhile all of your plan B's, C's and so on, get scooped up. If plan A gets scooped up within 15s, then all the other folks that were vying for it may go to your same Plan B, which is what I think Cyclo is saying. I get that, but it leads to scrambling, headaches, and disappointment for everyone except the golden ticket winner. There's gotta be a better way. If ChatGPT can fry you an egg, can't it mediate for this problem?

GNGSTR

Bramble_Scramble
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostFri Jan 27, 2023 1:38 am 
If you're not hirin' out these days YOU'RE IRRELEVANT!! Gotta hire out to a big name firm to get one of these code-based internet programs working for you alone if you want to COMPETE in the permit game on rec.gov!!!!!!!!!!! I'm responsible for many of these aforementioned "bots". I SINGLE HANDUDLY CONTROL THE RESERVATION SYSTEM!!!!! Too high of resell value not too!!! COMPETE!!

water

water
PostMon Mar 20, 2023 8:36 pm 
I think we'd see some interesting stuff from IP addresses if it was publicly available. We would see it isn't just a conglomerate of 1,300 unique addresses trying to book a lookout at 6:59:59AM PST. Unfortunately that information is considered private and can't be shared with the public from my understanding of the law. If anyone knows otherwise, I'd love to see it. I suspect there's some serious hammering from automation happening in addition to a swath of consumer IP hits. I discussed with someone who worked on designing the present booz allen hamilton rec.gov and it sounds like the base coding and contract was to one day allow bookings via API:
Quote:
It's been years since I was involved in this. Really disappointed that they still haven't opened the API up to full public access (despite being required to do so in their contract), let alone improving the API to accept bookings. ​'too many people are accessing this site' Sounds like a robot problem. They've perpetually had this problem and chronically underinvest in solving it. Ironically, this was one of their objections to opening up API key access, despite that giving them control against abuse. It makes me really sad to see this.
This person had some contacts at booz and egov. With the recent lawsuit against booz allen for all the junk fees promulgated that don't go through RAC review for public access to public lands, it seems like the public should really see this contract..

feel free to feel free

Sculpin
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Mar 22, 2023 12:06 pm 
Luc wrote:
If ChatGPT can fry you an egg, can't it mediate for this problem?
What you're describing isn't a technology problem. Full stop. It's a human problem. Humans came up with lousy rules. Humans refused to invest in building a decent system. The programmers could make the system do anything a computer is capable of; this is what their bosses told them to make it do.