Forum Index > Trail Talk > North Olympic TH Vehicle Breakins and Cut Gas Lines
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSat Jun 05, 2021 6:01 pm 
Just an FYI ... Just noticed on the local FB hiker group page two vehicle breakins at THs around Port Angeles recently. There have been previous reports of the same, but these two were both just this week. One was at Madison Falls on the Olympic Hot Springs Rd, and the others was at Slab Camp TH. Both reported their gas line was cut and gas siphoned from tank. One had their truck canopy broken into and items taken as well. Don't know if others suffered a similar fate but haven't reported it to the FB group. Take care out there. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."

Mountainpines
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnManic

MtnManic
PostSat Jun 05, 2021 9:29 pm 
Car break ins (and gas line cutting) suck. Just got my driver's side window smashed in (one of a whole parking lot full of cars in Kirkland proper) - now that it's raining, it seems the earliest appointment to replace it may be Wednesday. Glass everywhere, glove compartment rifled, so far nothing taken - I keep my registration in my wallet and not in the car, so that's good.

Backpacking: limited to one pack at a time. Cameras: limited to as many as I can carry.

Mountainpines
reststep

reststep
PostSun Jun 06, 2021 9:00 am 
Thanks for posting that Rumi. For some reason I have always felt uneasy about leaving my car at the Slab Camp trailhead but I leave it there anyway. I like the trails that start there so what choice do we have?

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun Jun 06, 2021 12:54 pm 
reststep wrote:
Thanks for posting that Rumi. For some reason I have always felt uneasy about leaving my car at the Slab Camp trailhead but I leave it there anyway. I like the trails that start there so what choice do we have?
Me too! It is likely this stuff is being done by just two or three people together. And the weird thing is that they do so much distruction for so little. They cause hundred of dollars in damage for just a few gallons of gas. These gas line cutters not only are stealing, but end up stranding people at the TH. One of these ended up having to pay for lodging until they could get their vehicle fixed. Anyway, it is disheartening that just a few people cause so much problems and anxiety.It would be nice if there could be a TH Uber shuttle that park in town and get ride to TH. Then contact them again via InReach mesenger to be picked up. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostSun Jun 06, 2021 12:59 pm 
Rumi, That would be great to have shuttle buses. While I love moving in my own vehicle, it would eliminate anxiety at trailheads.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSun Jun 06, 2021 3:11 pm 
I once left my car parked at the off highway lot at mp141 hwy 20,, canyon/granite creek turns into ruby creek. was gone a week looking at old mines, mining up the canyon creek area.. came out to find a notice from the state patrol my vehicle was considered abandoned and if not moved in the next couple of days would be towed. there after since I was single and didnt really need the car I hitchhiked up hwy20.

sticky buns

sticky buns
PostTue Jun 15, 2021 10:58 pm 
Ack. A whole trail crew of us were parked at Slab Camp TH last weekend. We had a trail runner come in to camp on Fri eve to tell us that he saw what he reported as sketchy people from town at the TH peering about. Thankfully, we returned on Sunday to discover nothing amiss. Thanks for sharing the info.

breadcrumb

breadcrumb
PostSat Aug 06, 2022 11:43 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
Just an FYI ... Just noticed on the local FB hiker group page two vehicle breakins at THs around Port Angeles recently. There have been previous reports of the same, but these two were both just this week. One was at Madison Falls on the Olympic Hot Springs Rd, and the others was at Slab Camp TH. Both reported their gas line was cut and gas siphoned from tank. One had their truck canopy broken into and items taken as well. Don't know if others suffered a similar fate but haven't reported it to the FB group. Take care out there. Rumi
I know this is old, but I'm wondering if you could track down that post on that FB group and share this message with them: "I'm sorry you experienced this while hiking. We're gathering data about known trailhead crime, so would you please fill out a Trailhead Crime Report? I've added the link below, which also explains more about what we're doing and has links to a crime map and a spreadsheet of the data we've already collected. Trailhead Crime Report form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdIoZedrcijMIs3ykqTSYdW9JO9M0Dd-ZFYONiSeVVJ_gXnLg/viewform"

Mountainpines