Forum Index > Trail Talk > 9-year-old girl recovering after cougar attack in Eastern WA
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue May 31, 2022 8:02 pm 
I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet. 9-year-old girl recovering after cougar attack in Eastern WA
Lily A. Kryzhanivskyy was playing hide-and-seek with two friends in the woods in Fruitland, Stevens County, where she had been attending camp. When she jumped out to surprise her friends, the cougar attacked suddenly, WDFW said in a statement.
Lily A. Kryzhanivskyy was playing hide-and-seek with two friends in the woods in Fruitland, Stevens County, where she had been attending camp. When she jumped out to surprise her friends, the cougar attacked suddenly, WDFW said in a statement.

Mid Fork Rocksflickr

Anne Elk  zimmertr
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostWed Jun 01, 2022 6:09 am 
I feel sorry for the little girl and hope for a speedy recovery. Just a few years back a little boy was attempted to be dragged off into the bushes by a cougar. We have an over population of cougars and this like the killing of the mountain biker will continue to happen

Sallie4jo

Sallie4jo
PostWed Jun 01, 2022 7:03 am 
Yes, may she have a full and speedy recovery. And we all need to continue to be aware that we share our lives with all of the natural world..we need the cougar as well as the bees and ants.

I choose to live in a landscape of hope. Terry Tempest Williams
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostWed Jun 01, 2022 7:10 am 
The knee jerk reaction to this will most likely be to hunt down and kill the cougar.

altasnob

altasnob
PostWed Jun 01, 2022 7:25 am 
From the article: "WDFW said the young male cougar was killed at the scene and tests showed the animal did not have rabies." Happened NW of Spokane. Long way from the Cascades.

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostWed Jun 01, 2022 7:51 am 
Really bad luck for that girl. It sounds like the cougar interpreted her actions as flight and attacked without really having an idea of how to do it, since cougars are not known for mauling their prey.
Sky Hiker wrote:
We have an over population of cougars
From the Mountain Lion Foundation: "Washington has increased the number of cougar tags to 66,000 per year, even while acknowledging that cougar numbers in the State may have dropped below 2,000." I notice that there are numerous articles on the net quoting Jeff Flood saying the exact opposite, that the population is growing. It's pretty clear from what he says that his evidence is anecdotal at best. The MLF also points out that because of all the hunting, young cougars like this one, which are much more dangerous to humans, are increasingly prevalent. "Cougar attacks on humans are rare, according to WDFW. The first cougar attack in Washington that resulted in a human death was reported in 1924. Since then, state authorities recorded 20 other cougar-human encounters that resulted in a documented injury, including a second fatal attack in 2018 roughly 30 miles east of Seattle."

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
timberghost

timberghost
PostWed Jun 01, 2022 8:22 am 
gb

gb
PostWed Jun 01, 2022 8:34 am 
Here you are going off again in a random manner. We all hope the little girl recovers.

altasnob

altasnob
PostWed Jun 01, 2022 8:50 am 
timberghost wrote:
what the . . . WDFW biologists had requested
He nullified what the citizen panel proposed. The WDFW biologist did not propose this. And the citizen panel proposal was way out of line with what they initially told the public they were going to do:
Quote:
The commission — a citizen panel that sets policy for the state Department of Fish and Wildlife — considered a proposed rule that set the maximum limits at 16 percent of local populations, keeping with previous levels. However, at its April 10 meeting, the panel approved a last-minute amendment to increase cougar quotas up to 21 percent in areas with confirmed wolf packs.
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/environment/inslee-reverses-panels-decision-to-increase-cougar-hunts/

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jun 01, 2022 10:01 am 
I saw my first cougar about a week ago just north of Priest Lake, crossing the road ahead of me about 1/8 of a mile. Might have seen one heading into the brush out here in Robe valley last year. Also heard of someone hitting and killing one that supposedly weighed 200 lbs out here too. Saw a FB post of a bobcat laying in the road out by the Alpaca farm east of Granite falls, hit by a car, so doesn't seem to be a cat shortage. We also have 3 felines here at my place in Verlot. A neighbor claimed to have seen a cougar next to my place in Verlot a while back, but I think he was just too high and it was my sons large orange tabby. smoker.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostWed Jun 01, 2022 11:13 am 
Although they are abundant, good luck filling a cougar tag in Washington State. It's a rare accomplishment.

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostWed Jun 01, 2022 12:29 pm 
With the mostly dense forest of the wet side you would be lucky to see them. I have only seen 3 on this side of the state. But as Bootpathguy can attest there is more different things out there than one sees. I run trail cams and know there is by numbers and color markings. To just go and raise the tag quota doesn't ensure that number will be harvested. But there is ways. That's why the State requires notification and marking of those taken so they have a general idea. Will leave it to the nay Sayers to disect that. But I have gone from the original post. I am glad she was able to survive this. She does look pretty beat up by the picture. I imagine her parents are quite upset, and relieved.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jun 01, 2022 2:01 pm 
Bootpathguy wrote:
Although they are abundant, good luck filling a cougar tag in Washington State. It's a rare accomplishment.
With the ban on hunting cougars with dogs in Wa state the population will continue to increase. I used to think that was poor sportsmanship and like shooting fish in a barrel, but really that's about the only practical way to bag one. I couldn't do it myself, I grew up hunting animals that were usually running or flying, so a bit of a challenge.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostWed Jun 01, 2022 5:10 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Bootpathguy wrote:
With the ban on hunting cougars with dogs in Wa state the population will continue to increase. I used to think that was poor sportsmanship and like shooting fish in a barrel, but really that's about the only practical way to bag one. I couldn't do it myself, I grew up hunting animals that were usually running or flying, so a bit of a challenge.
I know a person who successfully tracked and killed a large tom last winter. It required a snowmobile and snowshoes and alot of luck to find fresh prints in the snow. Not alot of hunters with that kind of winter perseverance. The ban on hunting with dogs ( which I agree with ) will allow our lion population to continue to increase. I haven't posted any trail cam videos lately, but I can assure you, lots of cougars recently

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jun 01, 2022 5:18 pm 
Bootpathguy wrote:
Without dogs its very difficult.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln