Forum Index > Trail Talk > New! Map of Known Trailhead Crime Statewide (2015-present)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
breadcrumb

breadcrumb
PostSat Jun 11, 2022 1:53 am 
I strongly recommend you view this site using a computer or tablet, not a smartphone. https://datastudio.google.com/s/jl4X7fTy5h8

Opus, Schroder, Ski, Cyclopath, zimmertr
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Jun 11, 2022 8:40 am 
Wow. This map is amazing. But it's depressing at the same time. frown.gif Still trying to figure out how to use the parameters on the left, but for an overall look at the state it's rather sobering when you see all the trail heads that one might use over the course of a year. ~z

SpookyKite89, breadcrumb
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Jun 11, 2022 9:18 am 
Discovery Park is the king of sparkly parking lots apparently.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostSat Jun 11, 2022 9:59 am 
I lived outside of Disco for the past two years and ran there multiple times a week. Interestingly enough I can't recall ever seeing a broken window. Or even glass on the ground. I guess I didn't spend a lot of time in the parking lots though. My advice would be to park on the corner of Emerson and 36th. Or street park in the neighborhood around there. That's where the locals go.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Jun 11, 2022 12:04 pm 
excellent work, Sir. up.gif thank you.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."

breadcrumb
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Jun 11, 2022 12:28 pm 
This obviously took some time and effort, I hope it was a fun project. Thanks for sharing the results with us!!

breadcrumb
kiliki

kiliki
PostSat Jun 11, 2022 2:52 pm 
Sorry if I missed this elsewhere but is this info all pulled from WTA trip reports? Interesting there are no reported incidents at the ONP beaches--I know that's a trouble spot for ONP, and they have the high crime area signs there.

breadcrumb

breadcrumb
PostSat Jun 11, 2022 3:24 pm 
kiliki wrote:
Sorry if I missed this elsewhere but is this info all pulled from WTA trip reports? Interesting there are no reported incidents at the ONP beaches--I know that's a trouble spot for ONP, and they have the high crime area signs there.
The map pulls data from the spreadsheet here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EupY8H1FiRBz9_xj7Ud7e6UpZsQFSqKMvysyZo3BCis/edit?usp=sharing Where does the data in the spreadsheet come from? In the spreadsheet, click on the "LE Data Sources" and the "Non-LE Data Sources" tabs. To view the LE records searched for a specific trailhead, I just added a second "page" to the map. If you go to the map, on the left-hand side of your screen, you should see buttons for "Trailhead Crime Mapping" (the default view) and "LE Data Sources." Click on "LE Data Sources." From there, you can zoom in on a specific location to see the trailheads in the spreadsheet. If there is no dot, the spreadsheet doesn't know about the trailhead. If there is a dot, hover your mouse pointer over it and it will display which LE records were searched. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get records from the Olympic Peninsula yet.

kiliki
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSat Jun 11, 2022 4:05 pm 
Surprisingly, only one incident at the trailhead for the High School trail, near Issaquah HS. The Cableline TH, on the other hand, has 32!

zimmertr
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostSat Jun 11, 2022 9:08 pm 
I've stopped pulling into the Cable Line pullout. I just parallel park near there instead now. I notice others doing the same. I think using that pullout lot gives the scallywags a little more privacy for their piracy.

breadcrumb

breadcrumb
PostSat Jun 11, 2022 10:17 pm 
Navy salad wrote:
Surprisingly, only one incident at the trailhead for the High School trail, near Issaquah HS.
That's almost certainly because I only have the ability online to see crimes going one year back if/when they were investigated by the Issaquah PD. In contrast, King County allows me (online) to go back more than a decade. It would probably take a Public Disclosure Request to the City of Issaquah PD in order to get the full picture.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSat Jun 11, 2022 10:54 pm 
Jlowder -- That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation (although I had hoped the thieves/vandals had just overlooked this parking area...).

breadcrumb
breadcrumb

breadcrumb
PostSat Jun 11, 2022 11:49 pm 
Navy salad wrote:
Jlowder -- That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation (although I had hoped the thieves/vandals had just overlooked this parking area...).
You prompted me to take another look. I found a way to at least partially view older Issaquah PD data. So far that hasn't boosted the numbers at the high school, but I found many more incidents at Cable Line. The total number of known cars hit at Cable Line is now up to 47. Interestingly, I've found incidents handled by Issaquah PD and other incidents handled by KCSO. I haven't seen that happen anywhere else, during overlapping date ranges. One thought: the high school lot is next to a gun range. You can hear shots fired from there all the time, even during school hours on school days. Perhaps criminals are worried that people coming and going from there are carrying, and so they stay away?

SpookyKite89
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Jun 12, 2022 6:19 am 
I had always thought the High School parking area would be safe as it is next to IHS and a busy street which has hundreds of folks driving and walking by every day. I was wrong as there was a recent incident there. The Issaquah Sportsman Club has been there since the 1930’s (a CCC project). It is in a different area and is where we usually park.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn